NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Moon Caves - Confirmed

6 minutes ago, Carbon Brush said:

The "mare" or sea was probably once an ocean,

They only missed a few words out..."of molten lava". In recent BBC-terms that's not too bad 😞

Edited by wulfrun
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, MalcolmP said:

Interesting thanks.

I wonder about my comprehntion and/or that of the beeb :

" It is visible to the naked eye from Earth, and is also where Apollo 11 landed in 1969."

It ?!

They were referring to Mare Tranquilatis with visibility to the naked eye.

28 minutes ago, Mandy D said:

They were referring to Mare Tranquilatis with visibility to the naked eye.

I was sort of poking fun at the beeb, it was a new stand-alone 'paragraph' whereas it ought to have been part of the other  - because I am thinking "the moon" well everyone knows Apollo 11 went to the moon, dont they ? , , er

Anyone else think it's somewhat ironic? Supposedly, we lived in caves millennia ago and left them for better places. Now we should go back?

Edited by wulfrun
typo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

44 minutes ago, wulfrun said:

Anyone else think it's somewhat ironic? Supposedly, we lived in caves millennia ago and left them for better places. Now we should go back?

Edited by TiffsAndAstro

16 hours ago, saac said:

Cave collapse on the Moon - try getting out of that one. Anyway the soup dragon will already have possession.  

Jim 

Sounds like the plot line for a Hollywood blockbuster.

I imagine the lava tubes are relatively stable, I think ironically the least stable part would be the opening. Perhaps dropping in via a point of collapse is the least safe way to enter the cave network? But by far the cheapest!

Edited by Ags

1 hour ago, Ags said:

Sounds like the plot line for a Hollywood blockbuster.

I imagine the lava tubes are relatively stable,

Yep most likely, after all they have been there for eons with nothing happening to them.  Then we arrive and start drilling and thumping around ! I'd rather be on the surface, on Earth :) 

Jim

Dreksler Astro’s YouTube channel has a very good video on Lunar pits and caves. The dimensions (in km) are given and so you can work out the resolution required (in conditions of great seeing!) to observe or image them. 

47 minutes ago, woldsman said:

Dreksler Astro’s YouTube channel has a very good video on Lunar pits and caves. The dimensions (in km) are given and so you can work out the resolution required (in conditions of great seeing!) to observe or image them. 

Dreksler Astral ... 😉

• Like 1

Reminds me of many Star Trek episodes in which the holoprojector malfunctions and reveals the 'observers' (the enterprise crew) to the local yocals (usually pre-warp, pre-industrial, or Utopian civilizations) leading to lots of First Contact farces ! (not unlike Brian Rix farces )

Edited by MalcolmP