Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Aurorae likely tonight!!

Hmmm, maybe.w Wait for the old spot to get past the middle of the disk and hope for lots of big flares… given the historical frequency of UK aurora sightings I’d not want to get my hopes up quite yet.

peter

• Like 1

AR3691 showed some promise but I guess it's a bit high up in latitude on the sun for earth to feel any effect.

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, whooshbang said:

Big spike on Aurora watch

https://aurorawatch.lancs.ac.uk/

To put it into some sort of context, the aurora on 10th May was registering 2000nT at the peak of 2300 hours GMT. It was also red from late afternoon at over 400nT up until the nighttime show which was still going at 0300-0400 though way past the 2300-0000 peak at that point.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Elp said:

To put it into some sort of context, the aurora on 10th May was registering 2000nT at the peak of 2300 hours GMT. It was also red from late afternoon at over 400nT up until the nighttime show which was still going at 0300-0400 though way past the 2300-0000 peak at that point.

Thanks Elon so definitely worth a look tonight? I am at 52 degrees. Moonless which helps and I have clear skies till 1am ish it looks like 

5 minutes ago, Simon Pepper said:

so definitely worth a look tonight?

If you've got the time it's always good to be out under clear skies. I just don't think the current activity is high enough, 10th May was a freak incident where at least half a dozen coronal mass ejections were fired in the direction of earth and in some instances combining.

See spaceweatherlive for more information, it also shows an aurora map so you can see how far south and north the estimation is.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

About 7 pm on May 10th the BZ was -36 on Glendale ,and had been down to -46 earlier!  

At the moment the BZ is -4. 

The BZ reading usually needs to be about -17 before seeing Aurora naked eye. 

May 10th 

Polish_20240608_000758025.thumb.png.457afb00aae85d00e4aabdda321d5b69.png

Edited by scotty1