Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Scope in news article

Perusing the Irish Times website just now, I came across an article inviting entries for an astrophotography competition.

At its head is a picture of a couple of people with a scope. The scope is clearly a Televue, but seems quite a slow one, ie long and narrow. I don’t recognize it from those with which I am familiar; which model is it does anyone know?

Magnus

IMG_4031.png

IMG_4032.png

I thought NP101 with it's dew shield and focuser fully extended.

The Skywatcher type tube rings don't help - it is much more common to see TV scopes in their black tube clamps.

Scopes used in photo shoots are often messed around with by photographers who don't know one end of a scope from the other but think they know what "looks good" 🙂

One of the "Sky at Night" presenters was once posed beside a scope on an EQ mount but with no C/W shaft or weights fitted !

I can't recall who it was though 🙄

Edited by John

4 minutes ago, John said:

....One of the "Sky at Night" presenters was once posed beside a scope on an EQ mount but with no C/W shaft or weights fitted !

I can't recall who it was though 🙄

It was Maggie. No finder either !

Maggie Aderin-Pocock: how a space-obsessed schoolgirl battled the odds ...

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, seven_legs said:

The rak and pinion focuser seems a bit cheap.  But I've never had a Tel Vue scope so I may be wrong.

Heretic! :grin: TeleVue rack and pinions are excellent; smooth, light and capable of holding heavy eyepieces without slipping. (This is a visual focuser, single speed.) I still have one on a 30 year old Pronto and the one on my merely 10 year old Gensis was perfect as well.

Everything about the build quality of TeleVues is designed to see the scope outlive its owners. They are fully repairable and adjustable as well.

I'm sure Magnus is right in that this is the F8.6. It certainly isn't one of the F5 scopes which are remarkably short, physically. (Edit: I took my F5 'Pearl River' Genesis onto a plane as carry-on.)

Olly

Edited by ollypenrice
  • Like 3

Agreed Ollie, the TV R&P focusers are lovely; buttery smooth and hold loads well.

I’ve never tried taking the Genesis on a plane, suspect it might be too long these days and I’m a bit precious about it taking a knock as the collimation is spot on.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Heretic! :grin: TeleVue rack and pinions are excellent; smooth, light and capable of holding heavy eyepieces without slipping. (This is a visual focuser, single speed.) I still have one on a 30 year old Pronto and the one on my merely 10 year old Gensis was perfect as well.

Everything about the build quality of TeleVues is designed to see the scope outlive its owners. They are fully repairable and adjustable as well.

I'm sure Magnus is right in that this is the F8.6. It certainly isn't one of the F5 scopes which are remarkably short, physically. (Edit: I took my F5 'Pearl River' Genesis onto a plane as carry-on.)

Olly

Oops, sorry lol, 

Like I said, I've never had experience of these scopes

• Haha 2

FIY, we now live in age where AI generated stock content can show some rather strange combinations :D

Don't be surprised to see very odd combination of gear in images or perhaps misused / misconfigured setups (Like SW rings on TV scope with unknown mount)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, vlaiv said:

Just went to check it - and sure enough:

image.png.c5e2a41e3c2cc80729c5d20206f8adcd.png

What do you think is scope / mount combination in the image?

Bresser 70mm F/10 achro on an EQ5 Pro GOTO mount ?

There seems to be an erecting eyepiece and possibly a barlow in the diagonal - not much use for celestial observing !

5 hours ago, John said:

Bresser 70mm F/10 achro on an EQ5 Pro GOTO mount ?

There seems to be an erecting eyepiece and possibly a barlow in the diagonal - not much use for celestial observing !

To me it looks like draw tube of focuser is closer 0.965" than 1.25"?

Also, having trouble figuring out how the scope attaches to dovetail or how it's mounted to the mount itself.

And yes - no CW bar or counterweights for that matter :D

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

To me it looks like draw tube of focuser is closer 0.965" than 1.25"?

Also, having trouble figuring out how the scope attaches to dovetail or how it's mounted to the mount itself.

And yes - no CW bar or counterweights for that matter :D

I agree that it looks like a .965" focuser.

I think the optical tube is just resting on the mount head. There seems to be a short black screw projecting from the lower side of the optical tube resting against the dovetail bar in the mount clamp. Maybe some "Blu tack" was used to stop it rolling off during the photo shoot !

No self respecting astronomer wears a rucksack when observing either 😁

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, vlaiv said:

And how exactly is the OTA fitted to the mount, ghost clamps?

11 hours ago, vlaiv said:

It looks like a ‘Heath-Robinson’ refractor… with the performance of a ‘Bird-Jones’ reflector.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/04/2024 at 00:02, Captain Scarlet said:

I’ve had a bit more of a look around. My bet is a TV 102 f/8.6
see here https://www.wlcastleman.com/equip/reviews/100mm_refractors/index.htm

This was my SDF which is physically longer than its actual F ratio. It was definitely significantly longer than the NP101 IS that I had. The SDF is a great RFT! 

IMG_20220511_204257.thumb.jpg.af371d16856788c41f0d90a4737e29b6.jpg

• Like 2

On 11/04/2024 at 22:58, Captain Scarlet said:

IMG_4032.png

I'd saythat couple were rather annoyed with the photographer for ruining their dark adaption...

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/04/2024 at 00:13, vlaiv said:

On 13/04/2024 at 00:57, Sunshine said:

And how exactly is the OTA fitted to the mount, ghost clamps?

By PhotoShop, merge mode additive. A very solid connection comprised of several layers.

On 13/04/2024 at 00:41, John said:

No self respecting astronomer wears a rucksack when observing either 😁

They don’t??? 🫣

• Haha 2