Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Pegasus SmartEye - The next phase of astro maybe?

The review video seems to be 90 mins of speculation. 

If you look up the size of an IMX533 sensor, this will give you the field stop size of the equivalent eyepiece.  Not very wide-field, I think.

I assume there is no optical see-through, just a magnified view of a small display screen.

Convenience apart, it remains to be seen what this device does that you could not do with an IMX533 chip camera, a laptop and Sharpcap.

• Like 3

I agree with the comments made. Clearly a pre-launch style release. It will be interesting how much it will cost?.. I can see its still patent pending also. Just find the concept fascinating

• Like 1

It definitely won't be cheap, see how much 533 cameras are. This also has an in built screen much like the Nikon eyepiece on the top end Evscope, WiFi, sky safari integration etc. You can easily put together a cheaper 485/585 camera in the focuser linked to a PC.

Edited by Elp

I've been looking for a reasonably capable wi-fi video cam or similar - I really don't want to have to futz with laptops, software, etc.  This could be a solution for me.

I thought about a See*, but I don't think I want one of those at this point.

Edited by jjohnson3803

Only one magnification.

Streaked images if longer exposures.

High cost.

If multiple exposures and stacking, stacking errors and the inability to screen out bad seeing.

Not a panacea, but interesting.

• Like 1

I would think eye astigmatism would still be an issue even when looking at the tiny screen.  I also doubt it is as sensitive and quick responding as the more modern night vision gear, or else the DoD would be switching away from them to an imaging chip approach.

7 minutes ago, Louis D said:

I would think eye astigmatism would still be an issue even when looking at the tiny screen.  I also doubt it is as sensitive and quick responding as the more modern night vision gear, or else the DoD would be switching away from them to an imaging chip approach.

Comparison with night vision doesn't really make any sense as these are completely different technologies not to mention price bracket. I also wonder if astigmatism would be anymore an issue than it would with a conventional optical eyepiece.  Anyway, looking forward to this hitting the market and getting to read some early reports on performance. I like the thought of being able to move it from telescope to telescope - could really be a serious challenger for the emerging smart telescope market. I really do hope that they get the price point right on this -  interesting kit.

Jim 

No. Just no.

Why open the telescope box, set up the telescope outside, and look at dim fuzzy objects, when you can look at the colorful pictures on the telescope box instead?

Edited by Ags

Also, this is just another spin on EAA. But when I do EAA, a camera is plugged into a scope and I am viewing on a screen. With this thing you are viewing through it, so the scope will be less steady - not great for longer exposures and live stacking....

• Like 1

What would be interesting is whether the sky safari integration will have an option to work a bit like Celestron's Starsense, it's got the camera so will be able to plate solve. It's just that you'll be paying a lot of money for cost of entry to solutions which already exist on the market, it really isn't difficult to attach a camera via usb to a computer and start taking live images with the bundled manufacturer software or any of the established astro imaging softwares.

2 minutes ago, Ags said:

With this thing you are viewing through it

I think it has a screen inside, so you're still looking at a screen but it's a tiny one...

Yes exactly, and while it is capturing relatively long (a second or two?) exposures, your nose is bumping the smart eyepiece....

Edited by Ags

Just now, Ags said:

Yes exactly, and while it is capturing relatively long (a second or two?) exposures, your nose is bumping smart eyepiece....

Maybe Pegasus will also sell you a rock solid tripod to go with the purchase.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ags said:

Yes exactly, and while it is capturing relatively long (a second or two?) exposures, your nose is bumping the smart eyepiece....

Surely that depends on the length of your nose :) 

Hey  wait a minute, is nose eyepiece rash a thing?  Need to do an investigation at the next star party - spot the visual only people lol. 

Jim

• Haha 1