Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Starfield 102 ed - best value 4 incher?

Hi, 

The title says it all. 🤔

I've seen Mr Spock's tempting review comparing this favourably with a scope beginning with 'T', so I will assume it would thrash my SW evostar 80ed. 

But, is it the best value or is there even better value out there? 

And by better value, I mean same price with better optics or lower price with at least same optics. 

Thanks 

Mark 

FLO’s advise and Mr Spocks review (which they linked me to!), convinced me to get the Starfield 102, and I have not been disappointed. It’s a fabulous scope.

I’ve only used it for imaging, and although I can’t compare it to other similar scopes, I’d recommend it every day of the week.

• Like 2

If buying new the Askar 103 triplet will be comparable, for imaging as a triplet it'll be better.

I got my SF used so it was an ever better bargain, it really is a great scope for both visual and imaging. FPL53 glass which others near this price point don't do, internally baffled too, focuser strong.

• Like 2

Well so far I haven’t found another 4” I would rather have bought for the money (I have the Altair Astro version, it also comes branded as Technosky and TS). The Askar 103 triplet does look incredibly good value, and has a tube that can be shortened for using binoviewers without a GPC, so I would definitely have shortlisetd that if it was available at the time, not sure whether I would have forked out the extra though. I’m sure there are other interesting alternatives out there, like this one which, at F11 with FPL53 glass, presents the possibility of even better solar system views than the F7 Starfield, but at the cost of being more unwieldy: https://www.altairastro.com/altair-planeta-101mm-apo-refractor-telescope-13522-p.asp

Edited by RobertI
  • Like 3

If I was in the market for a third 4 inch ED refractor, the Starfield 102 ED would be very high up my list and if budget was part of the equation, probably right at the top 🙂

I just can't think of a justification for getting another 4 inch frac though - questions would be asked !!! 😬

Edited by John
  • Haha 3

I keep hankering after a 4" refractor but feel it would be quite an extravagance as I already have an Explorer 150PDS which covers the same territory. That hasn't stopped me from researching the options though, and the Starfield 102 (or its TS Optics Photoline 102 and Altair Starware 102ED-R equivalents) seems to be the best option.

I had ruled out the Askar 103 because it doesn't specify the glass (just ED rather than FPL53) but from the comments above this doesn't seem to be an issue?

Other options to consider are:

• TS Optics Premium 102 - same spec as the Photoline 102 but FPL51 glass and £200 less expensive than the Starfield 102.
  • StellaMira 110mm ED - slightly bigger aperture but FPL51 glass and "only" £719 at the moment.

• Like 1

No-one has ever regretted owning a Starfield. My only regret is selling mine and replacing it with a scope costing three times as much for next to no increase in image quality. I remember pointing them at the moon in excellent seeing and trying my hardest to find a difference. Both showed exactly the same detail.

If you are getting a Starfield I'd recommend partnering it with a top quality diagonal and eyepieces. It can get the best out of them.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

No-one has ever regretted owning a Starfield. My only regret is selling mine and replacing it with a scope costing three times as much for next to no increase in image quality. I remember pointing them at the moon in excellent seeing and trying my hardest to find a difference. Both showed exactly the same detail.

If you are getting a Starfield I'd recommend partnering it with a top quality diagonal and eyepieces. It can get the best out of them.

Out of interest, why didn’t you sell the Tak, or send it back, and keep the Starfield?

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Stu said:

Out of interest, why didn’t you sell the Tak, or send it back, and keep the Starfield?

I keep telling myself I have the best optics within reach other than unobtanium scopes.

• Like 1

I don’t think there is anything out there that’s better value. The Tecnosky version is very nice but £100 more at Astrograph. The Skywatcher 100ED might have a small optical advantage at F/9, but I’d want to replace the focuser for binoviewing, hiking the price well above £1k. So the only decision is whether to go for the Starfield or Altair version, which is also £899. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Highburymark said:

.... The Skywatcher 100ED might have a small optical advantage at F/9, but I’d want to replace the focuser......

That option did go through my mind as well. A few years back the Skywatcher ED100's were the best value ~4 inch ED's by some distance but recent price rises have got them lost amongst better finished and equipped alternatives such as the Starfield 102 ED.

I paid £300 for a mint condition ED100 about 20 years ago - nothing could come near that back then 🙄

Edited by John
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Mr Spock said:

I keep telling myself I have the best optics within reach other than unobtanium scopes.

its diminishing retunrs once you find a sweet scope.