Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M106

Mark_C

Hi all,

This is my first attempt at M106 and overall quite happy with the end result.

This is an integration of 119 x 300 sec exposures taken at  native 2800mm F10 with an 11" Edge HD. The image is 2x2 binned and was taken with an ASI2600MC. No doubts that a focal reducer would have helped tremendously with this!

Processing performed PixInsight with BlurX and NoiseX.

Super frustrated with the ridiculous amount of satellite trails which were passing the FOV - they are still slightly visible in the final image. 😞 

masterLight_BIN-1_6248x4176_EXPOSURE-300.00s_FILTER-NoFilter_RGB_(12).jpg

• Like 27

In Pixinsight, if the satellite trails persist then you can increase the rejection setting. Alternatively, you can force rejection by drawing a black line over each trail in the subs. (I use a bit of javascript which I found on the Pixinsight forum, entering the start/end co-ordinates + line width).

Cheers
Ivor

• Like 2

Nice one, rich background and all the detail both faint and bright easily seen.

Try the Generalized Extreme Studentized Deviate (ESD) rejection algorithm for satellite trails. It works extremely well with stacks that have many images such as this one. The default ESD significance setting of 0.05 could be a bit low, you could try 0.1 if they dont go away but i guarantee they will completely disappear with this rejection algorithm with the right settings.

• Like 1

Thanks for the positive comments everyone, it really is appreciated!

I just slapped everything in to Pixsinsight's WBPP at default settings so I suspect that with the aforementioned tweaks in the settings I can reduce or totally eliminate those pesky sateliite trails!

It's very good. I don't think a focal reducer would add anything, though. The other way to get the same effect is to use bigger effective pixels. At bin 2, you are still highly oversampled so the trick would be to stack to give a still larger effective pixel size. You can also resample downwards before doing any processing.

When I process our Samyang 135 data I know it is optically limited in resolution so I resample it downwards till the image scale matches the available resolution. In your case you will be seeing limited but you can still do the same.

In a nutshell, it is much better to downsample before processing than after, when you discover that presentation at full size is not a good idea.

Olly

• Like 1