NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

3 minutes ago, Neil H said:

Paul was going to ring you and ask how things are but after reading this sounds like your not having fun mate , hope you get it sorted

No I am hissed off everything gone wrong have to see if I get any good views when I get the adaptor probably Tuesday now from FLO then just need either the sun out or a clear sky looking at the forecast doesn't look good. 

Thank you for your email.

We no longer have any replacement lenses for an old Vixen 102M achromatic refracting telescope.  We are sorry we are unable to help you in this matter.

Best regards,

Vixen Co., Ltd.  

• Sad 2

On 09/03/2024 at 12:31, wookie1965 said:

So the Vixen will be better even with the chips.

Paul

..and of course, maybe a nice haddock fillet and salt n vinegar..😁

• Haha 1

Sorry, Paul, just teasing!😉.

From the photos I doubt very much you will see any deterioration in the views as compared without the chips.

I had a lens (also a Vixen achro) which I also managed to put a clam shell chip onto..it bugged me something rotten, but the views were indistinguishable from the pre-chip views..

If you can just have a good session through the scope as it is, I think it will be fine.

All the best with it Paul👍

Dave

Edited by F15Rules
Typo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The above 'solution' looks somewhat similar to what I have to do if I want to use my baby Vixen.  IIRC though I didn't have too many problems finding adapters to fit 1.25" EP's into the system - it's been a while since I played with it, but I've got vague recollections of possibly taking apart a barlow and getting a suitable ring that by chance screwed into that odd 0.whatever it was" fitting and then I seem to recall that a 1.25" diagonal then fitted without issues and onto the EP.  Glad you finally found a solution and hope that the view is worth the wait.  It's really interesting that you can cover the lens chip over with black tape like that and not disturb the view, I guess it's like popping that aperture reducing plastic insert with the 4" hole into the centre of my 8" Dob and it not making any difference except to the brightness - however, to see it work is completely counter-intuitive.

• Thanks 1

Here we go, I've fished out a photo already uploaded some time ago - The old alphabetical sort is handy when it when it was one of the few I named and V is near the end of the alphabet.  If you zoom in you can see I unscrewed stuff almost back as far as I could and then added adapters back into the system.

Vixen 1sm.jpg

19 minutes ago, JOC said:

Here we go, I've fished out a photo already uploaded some time ago - The old alphabetical sort is handy when it when it was one of the few I named and V is near the end of the alphabet.  If you zoom in you can see I unscrewed stuff almost back as far as I could and then added adapters back into the system.

Vixen 1sm.jpg

That is a neat solution I have two barlow`s but none of them would screw in this adapter is for vixen scopes although I didn't think it would fit as the measurements were different.

• Like 1

First light with the vixen it has not gone well. 

I put the mirrors back in with the arrows facing each other is that correct. 

I put the thinner glass to the front of the OTA is that correct. 

If both of these are correct scope is going the tip or someone can have it for parts. 

Set up for solar this morning edge of the sun is soft with fringing all around could not see any spots as would not focus so I am lost. 

I am really destroyed by this £342 down the drain when I havnt got that much money anyway. 

Just another nail in my coffin. 

20240316_082359.jpg

20240316_090308.jpg

• Sad 3

Well that's it folks I am done selling up no point doing this hobby I am down £342 so selling up make my money back thanks for all your help and good luck to you all in the future.

Hello @wookie1965

I received an eyepiece that displayed the same views you described with your scope.

The lenses had been put back into the eyepiece the wrong way round.

I suspect all you need to do is turn the lenses to the same orientation as the above diagram and you will have a good scope 👍

1 hour ago, wookie1965 said:

Well that's it folks I am done selling up no point doing this hobby I am down £342 so selling up make my money back thanks for all your help and good luck to you all in the future.

Without volunteering his services….. could you ask @Peter Drew to have a look at it for you Paul? If still interested I’ll check the 120 and we can talk then.

5 hours ago, dweller25 said:

Hello @wookie1965

I received an eyepiece that displayed the same views you described with your scope.

The lenses had been put back into the eyepiece the wrong way round.

I suspect all you need to do is turn the lenses to the same orientation as the above diagram and you will have a good scope 👍

I did I came in and checked I had put them in the wrong way I swapped them and put it back together then tried it again. Once I had put it together I thought finally it will be good but no so I am at a loss to see what's wrong. 

25 minutes ago, dweller25 said:

Did it work OK when you first received it ?

I could not try it because I had to send for the Baader adapter and the lens was dirty so I took it out to clean it then chipped one of the pieces so I cannot send it back. 

I have just took it apart now here are the photos. 

20240316_164240.jpg

20240316_164245.jpg

20240316_164340.jpg

20240316_164547.jpg

20240316_164936.jpg

20240316_165223.jpg

20240316_165642.jpg

20240316_171343.jpg

I would suggest as your configuration is not working that you just flip the thin top lens over so that both arrows point in the same direction and give that a try to see if you get improvement.

Edited by dweller25
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, dweller25 said:

Here is a diagram that someone did when they had the same issue..

I would suggest as your configuration is not working that you just flip the thin top lens over so that both arrows point in the same direction and give that a try to see if you get improvement.

IMG_1313.jpeg.f73a5a0c7b66a9de3af86ab839958d7d.jpeg

I was thinking that worth a try I dont know how the person marked it up, I would have put the arrows pointing together but someone else could have done just what you said point them the same way.

Just now, wookie1965 said:

I was thinking that worth a try I dont know how the person marked it up, I would have put the arrows pointing together but someone else could have done just what you said point them the same way.

Give it a go Paul, nothing to lose.

37 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

Right done it hissing down here so cannot try it looking like Monday morning now. 

20240316_183155.jpg

You are far more sensible at this than I was with my Tair 3.  I didn't think to mark the lenses. 

I've got everything crossed for you mate.  

• Thanks 1