Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Delite: 9mm or 4mm

After some unexpected eyepiece changes my current minimalist set of eyepieces now consists of 3 Delites, a 5mm (x176) a 7mm (x126) a 13mm (x67) and a 32mm TV Plossl (x27).

I was going to buy a 5th eyepiece, do I buy a 4mm (x224)  or a 9mm  Delite (x97)? 

Edited by Moonlit Night

37 minutes ago, runway77 said:

None of them, get the 18.2mm, the best one :) would nicely fill the gap between your 13 and 32mm eyepieces as well.

I had one before and never used it. x27 and x67 is a x40 difference. Not worth spending £265.00 on the 18mm (x50) it doesn’t add anything. Others may disagree of course. 

Edited by Moonlit Night

Just now, Moonlit Night said:

I was coming to the same conclusion. Be a nice eyepiece for Mars wouldn’t it. 

Yes - great for lunar too. I do prefer (on mine) x185 for Jupiter though.

The 5mm gives me x176 which is lovely with Saturn but the seeing here rarely supports that magnification for Jupiter sadly. x224 is well within its capabilities (my scope that is) and could probably do a lot more. 

11 minutes ago, Moonlit Night said:

50 degree field of view doesn’t really work with an un-driven mount.

I find my 2-4mm nagler zoom works fine for me with my un-driven alt-azimuth mounts but it's not an approach that everybody would enjoy, I appreciate.

On the eyepiece choice, I'd go for a 4mm as well. I find 225x and more very often in use with my refractors. I tend to prefer 1mm or less increments in the short focal lengths to increase the choices at high powers.

Edited by John
  • Like 1

If you don’t mind the shorter eye relief and narrower AfOV (though both are still very comfortable), 4mm TOE will reveal intricate detail that the excellent Delite cannot. I recently sold my 4mm Delite for that reason, and I’m a huge Delite fan.

4 hours ago, Moonlit Night said:

50 degree field of view doesn’t really work with an un-driven mount.

I've managed to have some very enjoyable times observing Mars through a 100mm F7.4 refractor, using a 2.5mm Vixen LV eyepiece, with the scope mounted on an AZ4. I really can't remember it being difficult despite the eyepiece having a apparent field of ~45° and giving a magnification of 296X.

• Like 1

If you are not keen on a 50 degree AFoV the 4mm TOE will not help much at 52 degrees.

I owned one for a while and found it very good but not exceptional.

Others will differ from my findings though - that's the way of things 🙂

• Like 1

I won’t be deviating away from Delites. I absolutely trust them to be comfortable and just do what they are supposed to. I can just use them and forget about them, the entire line is predictable in its excellence. 

Edited by Moonlit Night
Auto correct hell
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Highburymark said:

If you don’t mind the shorter eye relief and narrower AfOV (though both are still very comfortable), 4mm TOE will reveal intricate detail that the excellent Delite cannot. I recently sold my 4mm Delite for that reason, and I’m a huge Delite fan.

Not my personal experience, but certainly an interesting perspective. I didn’t find them very comfortable to use to be honest. Very personal things aren’t they, eyepieces. 

Edited by Moonlit Night
Auto correct hell.
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, John said:

I find my 2-4mm nagler zoom works fine for me with my un-driven alt-azimuth mounts but it's not an approach that everybody would enjoy, I appreciate.

On the eyepiece choice, I'd go for a 4mm as well. I find 225x and more very often in use with my refractors. I tend to prefer 1mm or less increments in the short focal lengths to increase the choices at high powers.

As per the above comment/reply.

To add, I have the TeleVue 3-6mm zoom and the Svbony 3-8mm zoom. I don’t regret buying either… and I too use alt-az mounts.

Edited by RT65CB-SWL
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Moonlit Night said:

4mm Delite on order, should be here Monday with any luck. 

👍I'm sure you'll enjoy it. TV make excellent eyepieces.

1 hour ago, Moonlit Night said:

Very personal things aren’t they, eyepieces. 

Yes, and, there are one who two who take it personally if you don't like their favourite! :tongue2: If you have an eyepiece you enjoy, go for it - what others use doesn't matter :wink2:

• Like 5

I had the 4mm TOE, was not very impressed as well and I sold it. I do have the 4mm Delite now but it's used only rarely due to atmospheric conditions. Such eyepiece usually requires a tracking mount as well.

Edited by runway77
  • Like 1