Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Heads up new Vixen SD103S apo 40% off!!

It appears that Bresser UK (now the UK Vixen Distributor) is having a sale on these wonderful fracs..you wont get a brand new Tak 4" apo for this price!

https://www.bresseruk.com/Astronomy/Vixen-SD103S-apochromatic-Refractor.html?mtm_campaign=Google_Shopping&mtm_kwd=X000062&mtm_source=English&mtm_medium=CPC&mtm_cid=UK&mtm_group=PLA&gclid=CjwKCAiA8YyuBhBSEiwA5R3-E90PW_ZGZNehsC4y9v2xANwIFa_KI_zKg08Aj1ojiK7AXIq2EJ2XQhoC3FgQAvD_BwE

(..and the Vixen has a full 3mm extra aperture!!😋😂).

Hurry!!😈😈

Dave

Edited by F15Rules
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

• F15Rules changed the title to Heads up new Vixen SD103S apo 40% off!!

I love my SD103, the sale is for the first SD such as my one and its super.
They have brought out a SD103ii, the only change is no foil spacers between the two elements and its now a ring spacer now.

These scopes are so under appreciated but they are a gem.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alan White said:

I love my SD103, the sale is for the first SD such as my one and its super.
They have brought out a SD103ii, the only change is no foil spacers between the two elements and its now a ring spacer now.

These scopes are so under appreciated but they are a gem.

Same with my SD115 Alan..it has the foil spacers, they seem to have introduced the ring spacer for our imaging friend's benefit, but I very much doubt that for visual you would see any difference whatsoever..

• Like 2

I sold my SD103S as I had a 105 mm LZOS that has better optics however does not have the lightweight freedom of the Vixen that I miss. 

I was tempted to get another one, but took a look at the SD115, the old model is £100 more then the new model, see

https://www.bresseruk.com/Astronomy/Telescopes/Vixen-SD115S-apochromatic-Refractor.html

Crazy, maybe they withhave a sale on the old model?

50 minutes ago, Deadlake said:

I sold my SD103S as I had a 105 mm LZOS that has better optics however does not have the lightweight freedom of the Vixen that I miss. 

I was tempted to get another one, but took a look at the SD115, the old model is £100 more then the new model, see

https://www.bresseruk.com/Astronomy/Telescopes/Vixen-SD115S-apochromatic-Refractor.html

Crazy, maybe they withhave a sale on the old model?

My new to me SD115S (bought 5 days ago in mint condition) was bought new in March 2023 and  at that time cost £2835 including shipping.

The very latest model launched in summer 2023 is identical to mine, with the sole exception that the 3 foil spacers have been replaced with a spacer ring between the optical elements..said to eliminate any artifacts from the spacers whilst imaging.

As I am visual only this change is irrelevant to me..and my previous scope, the Tak FS128 also had foil spacers..which were totally invisible when observing.

Dave

• Like 4

Just now, F15Rules said:

My new to me SD115S (bought 5 days ago in mint condition) was bought new in March 2023 and  at that time cost £2835 including shipping.

The very latest model launched in summer 2023 is identical to mine, with the sole exception that the 3 foil spacers have been replaced with a spacer ring between the optical elements..said to eliminate any artifacts from the spacers whilst imaging.

As I am visual only this change is irrelevant to me..and my previous scope, the Tak FS128 also had foil spacers..which were totally invisible when observing.

Dave

The SD115S Mark II is £2789. 

One question I have is why choose the Vixen when the StellaLira 125 mm is around 4 kg in weight. 

I probably would have brought the Vixen as I suspect it has better optics, however I've really only got the SD103S to base my view off.

23 minutes ago, Deadlake said:

The SD115S Mark II is £2789. 

One question I have is why choose the Vixen when the StellaLira 125 mm is around 4 kg in weight. 

I probably would have brought the Vixen as I suspect it has better optics, however I've really only got the SD103S to base my view off.

If you dig around the Bresser website I think there was something about the recent change to the mk II version.

No disrespect to the StellaMira 125 ED, but I don't like carbon fibre tubes, but more importantly I've owned a number of Vixen refractors including 2 ED103s examples, so I know how.good they are optically.

I will go so far as to say that inch for inch, my ED103s and older ED103SWT matched the FS128 in the views it delivered..of course, the Tak had more resolution and brightness, but I hope and believe that for my own current observing needs and limitations, the SD115S will meet my hopes for it and be literally a good "halfway house" between 4" and 5" aperture. 

Finally, a used Tak 100mm would have cost as much as the bigger Vixen..

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, osbourne one-nil said:

Is the new model available? I couldn’t find it. 

I'm pretty sure that Vixen are now only shipping the latest model..but a quick email to Bresser would give you the latest position, I'm sure..

I think the UK & Europe supply was running down the MK1 stock before supplying any MK2.
The discounts is to clear the last of the MK1 stock.

The foil spacers or a foil ring visually will make no difference,
I think its Vixens chance to 'update' the existing scopes to a 'new' one for those who like the latest model.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, F15Rules said:

If you dig around the Bresser website I think there was something about the recent change to the mk II version.

No disrespect to the StellaMira 125 ED, but I don't like carbon fibre tubes, but more importantly I've owned a number of Vixen refractors including 2 ED103s examples, so I know how.good they are optically.

I will go so far as to say that inch for inch, my ED103s and older ED103SWT matched the FS128 in the views it delivered..of course, the Tak had more resolution and brightness, but I hope and believe that for my own current observing needs and limitations, the SD115S will meet my hopes for it and be literally a good "halfway house" between 4" and 5" aperture. 

Finally, a used Tak 100mm would have cost as much as the bigger Vixen..

Oh, forgot to mention as well.."Proper" refractors are of course always white!!🙃😂

Dave

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, osbourne one-nil said:

I don't look through a telescope unless I'm wearing a lab coat. This stuff matters!

Agreed. One of these gentlemen is not taking things seriously enough !:

fullerscopesp34p35..jpg.878dec358883d55504804276a66bbca4.jpg

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, osbourne one-nil said:

I didn't know Barry Norman was into astronomy!

I've seen Bresser reduce the price of scopes before. The reductions never last long. I'm VERY tempted. 

Just get out the Drastic Plastic!!😁😂

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, osbourne one-nil said:

I didn't know Barry Norman was into astronomy!

Looks like Dudley Fuller to me😊he started Fullerscopes…….then teamed up with Broadhurst & Clarkson….BC&F was born……back then you could buy mirrors, cells, focusers, spiders……all the stuff needed to make a fine telescope. Now most of us splash the cash and miss the pleasure of observing with an instrument you put together. Showing my age now…….😩……..some of us on here (not me) we’re the REAL DEAL and made their own mirrors….my respect if that’s you!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

There’s something about the look of Vixen scopes I always liked, they have that simplistic yet elegant look, hard to explain but you can see the quality in them.

As well as through them..😁

I agree 100% with your statement.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NGC 1502 said:

Looks like Dudley Fuller to me😊he started Fullerscopes……

Oh! I could never work out why the owner of Fullerscopes was presenting Film 94. Now it makes sense. 

The Vixen aesthetics appeal to me too. I know it shouldn't matter, but it does, to the extent that I could never buy a Founder Optics scope. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, osbourne one-nil said:

The Vixen aesthetics appeal to me too. I know it shouldn't matter, but it does, to the extent that I could never buy a Founder Optics scope. 

Agreed…..it’s often said it doesn’t matter what a scope looks like, you can’t see it in the dark…..

However, during long cloudy spells you can set it up in daylight….drool….then admire how handsome it is😁

• Like 1