Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NGC 2336

tomato

Here is another seldom imaged galaxy, NGC 2336 in Camelopardolis. It's a shame because although small it is IMHO a spectacular example of a spiral galaxy. This is a reprocess of just 3 hrs of data captured back in 2020, but I am certainly going to add more data to it, now that we have the Xterminator tool set to get the most out of it.

Take a look at the Hubble image of NGC 2336 if you get a chance, the background galaxies visible are just mind blowing.

Image04AP.jpg.3a9a084ac7d7ec36176686e8a4cc05c0.jpg

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Vash said:

Really great image, thanks for posting. 

What scope and camera did you use? 

Thanks, it is my dual Esprit 150 rig, currently equipped with an ASI178 mono for Luminence, and an ASI678 colour for RGB. Previously I have used an ASI178 mono and RGB filters for colour (that’s what was used for the posted image) but I am trying to establish if the newer 678c sensor (no amp glow) can do the job just as well.

So I have managed to add about 4 hrs to it over the last couple of nights, as usual my lack of discipline over framing the target has made combining the data a bit of a challenge, hence the crop. I was hoping at least one of the distant galaxies so abundant on the HST image might be visible, but alas no luck. I need a bigger scope, or a decent location, or better still, both.🤔

Image07AP.thumb.jpg.873137e449097fd7151918217ad183ee.jpg

• Like 9

There are a lot of tiny fuzzies showing through on the second image! Surely worth keeping going on this as a project?

I haven't looked at the Hubble image, You didn't bother to post a link! 😁

Here is my final attempt (for now), 11.2 hrs of integration. Some of the larger background galaxies in the HST image may now be visible, although they don't have any red colouration.

I try not to compare my images with the HST too often, otherwise I just despair... 

Image08.thumb.jpg.32f3198c63976c5e2baab5223893f3ac.jpg

Image06AP-fxfy-41degCW-1.0x-LZ3-NS-cropannotated.jpg.26d65926bfc3ba0f917c61c1343a56ca.jpgpotw2109acropann.thumb.jpg.81847784ac26c6b89b0b0f02f916a6f4.jpg

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, tomato said:

may now be visible,

That's an awesome bit of detail in the second image that's now coming through.  Great perseverance on this one.

3 minutes ago, tomato said:

I try not to compare my images with the HST too often, otherwise I just despair... 

Absolutely, that can't be a fun game! 😆

• Thanks 1

Incredible stuff!

28 minutes ago, tomato said:

Image08.thumb.jpg.32f3198c63976c5e2baab5223893f3ac.jpg

There appears to be some red + blue emission to the south of the galaxy, near the bottom of the FOV. Is that real emission from a foreground object, or noise from the camera?

There's definitely a lot of stuff going on in the background - looks like you've managed to resolve quite a few other galaxies. Brilliant work!

Luke

Thanks, the background is frankly a mess, due to massive mis-alignment between the old and newly collected data. I have had a go at cleaning it up but that faint red colouration on the background to the South is an artefact. Overall I'm not happy with the colour and I will give it another go without using SPCC. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, tomato said:

This is definitely the last one, thanks for sticking with it.

Image05cscx2DS.thumb.jpg.4af4373e8ccf93e09267913e5ade33a8.jpg

Very nicely done 👍

You can always add more data later, in between other projects.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dan_adi said:

Very nicely done 👍

You can always add more data later, in between other projects.

Thanks, it is always nicely placed in my sky so  could be a fall back target if I have some time to kill.

That's well worth the effort - lovely image.  I got a very mediocre image in 2007, and it's been on my 'Must Do' list for a repeat since then.  But you've inspired me!  Whether there'll be an opportunity this season of course is not looking good with the current weather patterns, but at least it stays pretty high all Spring.  we shall see!

Cheers,

Peter

• Thanks 1