SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Observing in Bodmin

8 hours ago, Beardy30 said:

seriously considering a move to live in Cornwall (closer to family) I hear Bodmin is super for dark skies - has anyone ever done any observations around there ? 

I have lived in Delabole all my life, about 18 miles from Bodmin. Personally couldn't live in Bodmin 😬.  To built up with LP (for Cornwall) and a bit iffy. 

There are lots of dark skies around here I'm bottle 3 according CO but more like 2 I think. 

Bodmin Moor is only a stones throw away for very dark sites. 

As long as you head out of the big towns anywhere in Cornwall is pretty good for dark skies. 

Lee 

• Like 4

It sounds like the first reply from Lee has good advice.

One thing you could try is joining a local astronomy club, it’s likely they will know of good observing sites. You may find somewhere good by searching yourself, however it’s possible you will actually find a lover’s lane with people arriving and leaving with headlights blazing, and wondering what on earth you’re up to!

A local astronomy club may have a more secure site behind locked gates.

I’m not envious of Cornwall skies, I’m VERY ENVIOUS INDEED😊

Ed.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, NGC 1502 said:

One thing you could try is joining a local astronomy club, it’s likely they will know of good observing sites

I do know of this astronomy club, though I don't attend as I don't drive but have monthly meetings near St Columb/Newquay way which isn't far away. 

http://www.kernowastronomers.com/

Also there is/was an astronomy club in Lanivet, just outside Bodmin but not sure if they are active anymore. 

https://www.lanivetparishcommunitycentre.co.uk/lanivet-amateur-astronomers

Davidstow aerodrome (disused) is a fantastic dark site to go to but yet again I don't drive so not been at night and its only 4 miles from me. Great views all around. 

My observing site behind my flats is pretty dark and I generally walk to a couple of places in the village with lovely dark spot's for dslr milky-way and Aurora work.

Cornwall council are in the process of switching off and dimming streetlights in the county and the ones that they have done can be found on this interactive map. Sadly my village hadn't been included yet but should  be on the next round. The nearest market town to me is included, so that shoukd help me a bit. 

https://cornwallcouncil.maps.arcgis.com/apps/instant/basic/index.html?appid=07845e198a37473c8068e4556e4a404e

https://www.cornwall.gov.uk/council-news/transport-streets-and-waste/next-phase-of-green-initiative-to-cut-carbon-emissions-and-light-pollution-by-turning-off-or-dimming-streetlights/

Good luck on your potential move @Beardy30 to Cornwall. 

Lee 

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, NGC 1502 said:

It sounds like the first reply from Lee has good advice.

One thing you could try is joining a local astronomy club, it’s likely they will know of good observing sites. You may find somewhere good by searching yourself, however it’s possible you will actually find a lover’s lane with people arriving and leaving with headlights blazing, and wondering what on earth you’re up to!

A local astronomy club may have a more secure site behind locked gates.

I’m not envious of Cornwall skies, I’m VERY ENVIOUS INDEED😊

Ed.

Not my scene - not a club kind of person but appreciate the idea 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AstroNebulee said:

I have lived in Delabole all my life, about 18 miles from Bodmin. Personally couldn't live in Bodmin 😬.  To built up with LP (for Cornwall) and a bit iffy. 

There are lots of dark skies around here I'm bottle 3 according CO but more like 2 I think. 

Bodmin Moor is only a stones throw away for very dark sites. 

As long as you head out of the big towns anywhere in Cornwall is pretty good for dark skies. 

Lee 

Interesting..I heard Bodmin was nice , where’s good for access to the Moorss if not Bodmin ? Any suggestions 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beardy30 said:

Interesting..I heard Bodmin was nice , where’s good for access to the Moorss if not Bodmin ? Any suggestions 

I wouldn't say Bodmin was nice and many will agree with me around here. If you search on google maps for places near Bodmin moor, there will be lots of places. 

Just to remind that you don't need to go onto the Moor there are plenty of places near it. I'm only 4 miles or so from it here. 

There's St Breward, Blisland,  Bolventor, Altarnun, Laneast, St Tudy, St Mabyn, Davidstow, Michaelstow, Helstone, Camelford and so on. Just to name a small selection around the North here. There are many many places. 

Lee 

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 1

Thanks Lee. Will look into it - the problem is my lack of local geography knowledge- I wasn’t thinking of Bodmin the town though but asking really about access to the moor and towns around it that had a decent dark sky - 3 or less. Launceston looks a good bet too 👍🏼

Edited by Beardy30
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Beardy30 said:

Thanks Lee. Will look into it - the problem is my lack of local geography knowledge- I wasn’t thinking of Bodmin the town though but asking really about access to the moor and towns around it that had a decent dark sky - 3 or less. Launceston looks a good bet too 👍🏼

No problems. It's pretty easy access to the Moor from all around and most villages around have good dark skies. Maybe worth a trip down sometime to have a mooch around and see what you think 😊. Lanson isn't bad, it is a town with a retail park and a few big stores, but possibilities around the outskirts of it. Villages are your best bet around Bodmin Moor. 

Look forward to hearing more on your potential move in the future. 

Lee 

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 1

Stayed in Bodmin many times (Holiday cottages). The skies are fantastic when not foggy or raining. Loved using the ED80 there as it performs superbly under those skies.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rob said:

The skies are fantastic when not foggy or raining.

I was going to say just that. I imagine Bodmin skies are not dissimilar to North Cornwall coast and up to Hartland Point in west Devon, where I have done most of my astronomy in recent years. Much of it  Bortle 2, though Bortle 3 where we are. When clear the skies can be pretty good. Able to see M31 with naked eye good. But as geography teachers used to say the West Country is known for its warm, wet, westerly winds. It can’t ’alf rain and be cloudy.  Having said that, when the weather is coming from the east it can be beautifully clear down there.

It has to be said that living there would make a considerable difference. You can then take advantage of clear skies when they occur. Visiting as we do does mean we take pot luck and you all know what Sod's Law says. :) 

• Like 2

The dark sky reserve will be posting annual updates to their SQM survey and will list multiple good sites in the dark sky area. Local groups will know more and if the council is active in reducing the light pollution, sounds like a good plan to move, though you have to watch out for neighbours with crazy LED flood fittings that can cause issues.

peter

• Like 1