NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Opinions on Synscan WiFi Dongle

I see lots of good reviews on FLO website - which I would tend to believe over the poor reviews on Google Play. But has anyone here used one and what did they think? Another related question - why is the Celestron dongle twice the blinking price of the Skywatcher unit. Surely they are similar hardware and firmware-wise? 

I used to use one and it worked with no challenges. It creates a network between your smart phone and the dongle linking to your mount very much like the asiair does. I stopped using it and went back to the handset simply because of the way I do things. I tend to use stellarium a lot and found myself forever switching between apps, if at the time I had a second smart device it would have worked well. 

• Like 1

I use one with the Virtuoso v1, same as @happy-kat. It "just works", pretty much always. I use it with an old-model Android phone that I keep just for astro.

Edited by wulfrun
grammar
  • Like 1

I also got one for my automated 200P dobsonian and it is hassle free, provided you have sufficient IT setup and range to run it through.  Drive the scope very easily and far easier than the Skywatcher provided handset.  I would recommend one, but obviously everyone's situation varies.  NB.  I also haven't viewed for a while, so my comments are based on the last time I did use it.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, happy-kat said:

What do you intend to use the dongle on? I like the mobile app it's ok to use and do what I need

Hi happy-kat! I will be using it on my EQ5 Pro mount. If it is super impressive, I might treat myself to the Celestron WiFi dooberry for my SCT, although I struggle a bit with the price of the Celestron unit!

• Like 1

I used it on my EQ5 Pro goto it worked really well although I use android I believe it can be a bit tricky with ios. 

I had to tell my phone to forget my home wifi as your phone searches for strongest signal the dongle kept dropping from the mount until I did the forget the wifi then it worked brilliant. 

I went back to the handset as my mount wasn't that accurate, I sent it away to be tuned and actually forgot about the dongle until a friend mentioned it so sold it to him. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wookie1965 said:

I used it on my EQ5 Pro goto it worked really well although I use android I believe it can be a bit tricky with ios. 

I had to tell my phone to forget my home wifi as your phone searches for strongest signal the dongle kept dropping from the mount until I did the forget the wifi then it worked brilliant. 

I went back to the handset as my mount wasn't that accurate, I sent it away to be tuned and actually forgot about the dongle until a friend mentioned it so sold it to him. 

Oh, now you've prompted another question! You sent your mount away to be tuned: Any idea what that involves? I have never heard of that before.

I use the dongle on my HEQ5PRO and once I have done the star alignment it's bang on target , I can even jump on sky safari pro and it still hits targets , I love it so easy to use 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, MikeAa said:

Oh, now you've prompted another question! You sent your mount away to be tuned: Any idea what that involves? I have never heard of that before.

They strip it down replace bearings if needed, regrease it with better stuff then put it together and fettle it so there is no backlash as much as possible. cost me I think £130

• Thanks 1

I have one and have used it with iOS quite happily. I didn’t have any problems with other networks around. It can also be used alongside SkySafari on your phone so you align and use SS to guide your session. It’s very good. 

• Like 1

Hi, I use the Synscan Pro App to do solar and lunar imaging on an old SW Merlin mount and it works fine. A friend on the other hand had to give up using SharpCap Pro due to issues caused by the App which others have also related.

Celestron are expensive.

Cheers,

Steve

• Like 1

On 15/01/2024 at 22:09, MikeAa said:

I'm going to have to give it a go aren't I?! FLO - order incoming!!

Ordered Tuesday afternoon, arrived Wednesday lunchtime - marvellous! Thanks FLO. Just need the temperature to rise a little otherwise I will freeze to death checking it out!!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

Can practice inside with your mount when it's cloudy or daytime I do it often

one of the most therapeutic excersizes you can do in life ... and practising indoors you ALWAYS hit the target  :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

one of the most therapeutic excersizes you can do in life ... and practising indoors you ALWAYS hit the target  :)

Inside, I can star hop from the wall light to the waste paper bin every time.
I don't know why I use goto outside.

• Haha 4