NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Back after a 12 year break!

jamenx

Hello!

Nice to meet you all. Just returning after a 12 year break from astrophotography! Very much a beginner still.

My old rig was a skywatcher 150PDS, EQ 3-2 mount & Cannon 550D. Plus a makeshift guiding system using an old PC webcam. I was on a very tight budget back then in my late 20’s and remember spending many, many long nights trying to get it all working.

Now in my early 40’s and in a much better position financially, but with less free time, I’ve just pulled the trigger on a redcat 51, ZWO AM5 & asi2600mc pro, plus all the ZWO guiding & focusing accessories that will hopefully make life a little easier this time round.

FLO has a 15-20 working day estimate on some parts, so just reading up as much as I can in the meantime.

Very excited to see what’s changed in the past decade.  Here are a few pictures from my old rig!

James

C014A2CD-1242-4DB7-BAD3-8087D05465E3.jpeg

6E3293E4-D539-4887-9EFD-70A76A866042.jpeg

F3F5CD07-C8B9-4A61-905C-B00096B0DC4C.jpeg

Edited by jamenx
Typo
  • Like 7

Great choice of gear. Compact and potent. The new CMOS cooled cameras roundly beat CCDs, let alone the older DSLRs. At some point you might consider a dual or tri-band filter designed to work with one shot colour. I use the same camera plus another with the same chip and I recently had a couple of Redcats visit. They gave pinpoint stars across the chip. Very impressive.

Olly

• Like 1

• 3 months later...