Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Large Dob - My outside storage solution

Hi all

Have not posted in ages as have been too busy with other things. I think my last question was 'how do you store a dob' ! or something like that.  Ive not even had a good gander through this thing yet and Ive had it around 3 months. lol

Anyway. Having no real space in other sheds I have dotted around I decided the best solution was to make a dedicated box for it.   I wanted it to be super easy for me to just go out with minimal fuss when the mood takes me.  I didnt fancy having it stored somewhere and having to disassemble, drag it down the garden, re-assemble etc. I think I would have been soon put off using it.

So I made a box the right size and plopped it on a runway I made especially for it. I can now just open up the door, wheel it out down the ramp and Im ready to go !  Being a bit higher should make observing less of a back bending exercise and if something is in the wrong position I will just need to jump on the runway.  The casters I fitted have locking feet so Im sure it will be secure enough ? 

I will make a cover sock for it and put in some moisture traps and I think it should be ok?  Any thoughts, improvements ?

Ive yet to finish it. It needs some vent holes and the foam lining finishing. The door is lined too.

Excuse the state of the garden cough cough. 

Carl 

20231215_090716.jpg

20231215_090730.jpg

20231215_090755 (1).jpg

20231215_090908.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

I really like that soloution.  I keep mine in a shed outside (I put a telegizmos cover over it as well so I can put a dehumidifier packet in with it to keep the worst of the damp off).

From the size and shape the building looks a bit like an outhouse.  Should at least deter thieves lol.

• Haha 2

Looks good 👍 Should mean you get out an observing a lot more which is great

My only suggestion would be some sort of airflow which will help control the humidity (and heat for the 2 weeks of summer we get)

Maybe have a look at these - https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=solar+powered+fan&crid=MK1GPYXI0BSK&sprefix=solar+powered+fan%2Caps%2C74&ref=nb_sb_noss_1 a small solar powered fan should give enough airflow to keep things fresh in there.

• Like 1

Nice cover shed.

Just a thought about sealing or protecting the wooden base in some way if it's made of chipboard particle board. Good comments about airflow and humidity drier etc.

I bought a used SW one  a while ago and the base had got damp at some point in the past and swelled. 

12 hours ago, GasGiant said:

Hi all

Have not posted in ages as have been too busy with other things. I think my last question was 'how do you store a dob' ! or something like that.  Ive not even had a good gander through this thing yet and Ive had it around 3 months. lol

Anyway. Having no real space in other sheds I have dotted around I decided the best solution was to make a dedicated box for it.   I wanted it to be super easy for me to just go out with minimal fuss when the mood takes me.  I didnt fancy having it stored somewhere and having to disassemble, drag it down the garden, re-assemble etc. I think I would have been soon put off using it.

So I made a box the right size and plopped it on a runway I made especially for it. I can now just open up the door, wheel it out down the ramp and Im ready to go !  Being a bit higher should make observing less of a back bending exercise and if something is in the wrong position I will just need to jump on the runway.  The casters I fitted have locking feet so Im sure it will be secure enough ? 

I will make a cover sock for it and put in some moisture traps and I think it should be ok?  Any thoughts, improvements ?

Ive yet to finish it. It needs some vent holes and the foam lining finishing. The door is lined too.

Excuse the state of the garden cough cough. 

Carl 

20231215_090716.jpg

20231215_090730.jpg

20231215_090755 (1).jpg

20231215_090908.jpg

Nicely done! Taylored to fit it perfectly.