Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Takahashi FC-100DC focuser question…

Before I go ahead and buy the Tak FC-100DC for Xmas….can I ask a few questions:

1) It’s light but is it too big for my Vixen Porta 2? I’ll be using mainly TV Delos eyepieces (extra weight)

2) Is the Vixen Porta 2 head compatible with a better tripod? (does it need an adaptor?) or should I just get a better mount?

3) The focuser looks very basic….i like the two-speed feather touch on my WOptics scopes. Is this something that’s easy to upgrade and will reputable stores like FLO do this at the point of sale for me? Which two speed focuser would work best with this scope?

sorry for so many rookie questions!

Thanks

Niall

I don't use a Porta so can't answer that question. But I can answer the focuser as it's a sore point.

You can get micro focusers to fit the Tak focuser. There's the Tak MEF3 (£247) and the More Blue (£195). They are a bit clumsy and the MEF3 on mine is 'bouncy'.  https://www.firstlightoptics.com/takahashi-other-accessories/tak_tka00733.html  https://www.firstlightoptics.com/takahashi-other-accessories/more-blue-precision-focuser-retrofit-kit-for-takahashi-telescopes.html They are easy to fit though.
The next option is the Feathertouch to replace the Tak focuser completely. That will set you back £780...

Don't forget the Tak comes without tube rings or finder shoe so you will need to budget for those too.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Neutrinosoup said:

2) Is the Vixen Porta 2 head compatible with a better tripod? (does it need an adaptor?) or should I just get a better mount?

Not a Tak owner but I do use a Vixen Porta II mount on a Berlebach tripod, their tripod range has an attachment option for the Porta II. Concerning the Berlebach, it is also worth while getting the tray and I think something like the Uni 18 is oft recommended as applicable for your set up. 

My Tak 76DCU came with the same focuser as the 100DC, I have to say I thought it was absolutely fine, I like you though, like a microfocuser. I plumped for the MoreBlue one and I’m very happy with it. It does stick out a bit and if you’re ocd about symmetry it might not be for you. You will need a tool to remove the Tak pinion screw though as weirdly the MoreBlue kit didn’t come with one.

The focuser tube has very short travel and my Delite didn’t come to focus in the Tak diagonal, unsure if the Deloses, Deloi , Deloux? have the same focal point but depending on your diagonal, you may experience the same. The only thing I really didn’t like about the focuser was the plastic focus knobs, keeps the weight down but seemed a bit cheap.

Seems to me that there is a niche for a nicely machined adapter to allow a nice but relatively affordable focuser such as the Baader Diamond Steeltrack to be fitted to the Tak FC tubes 🤔

Edited by John
  • Like 5

16 minutes ago, John said:

Seems to me that there is a niche for a nicely machined adapter to allow a nice but relatively affordable focuser such as the Baader Diamond Steeltrack to be fitted to the Tak FC tubes

Yep, said the same thing 👍

• Like 1

I used a Tak DC on a Porta and it was a great little set up for visual. The Porta has a 45mm snout which is intended for the Vixen range of tripods but will fit many other brand tripods that have the more common 60mm recess, the M10 bolt will hold the Porta centrally.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, John said:

Seems to me that there is a niche for a nicely machined adapter to allow a nice but relatively affordable focuser such as the Baader Diamond Steeltrack to be fitted to the Tak FC tubes 🤔

That’s a good ‘shout’ John, hadn’t even considered the DiamondTrack. Moonlites are too big to suit the FC100 I think, but a DT would work well; very nice focusers and you can even mount a finder on them unlike the FeatherTouch! 🤪

• Thanks 1

All it needs is an adaptor from Tak thread to SCT thread, then a whole number of focusers could be used.

9 minutes ago, Stu said:

and you can even mount a finder on them unlike the FeatherTouch!

Irritating for the price! I have my RDF attached to the More Blue rings though, so not much of a problem. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, John said:

Is the Tak thread M72 female? And the Steeltrack M68 male?

This adapter has an M72 male and M68 female so wouldn't it marry them up?.....
https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/baader_tak_m72_adapter_2558230.html

Maybe I've got the genders wrong? 🤔