Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What in the world was this unidentified object that showed up in my frame last night?

psy1280

I haven't the slightest idea what this is, hoping someone can clarify. Last night I was imaging NGC1499 using my Askar Fra600, 3nm Ha filter, 5 minute subs.  This clearly seems like an object and not a guiding glitch, etc., What confuses me more is that this was a 5 minute sub, if it was an orbiting object wouldn't it be more blurry?  Crazy, huh? (also, a jet traversed the frame)

UFO_490K.jpg

I don't get why it's not blurred. Planes have lights on their wing tips so they'd be a pulse like trail across the image for each light and they'd be no detail unless it were completely stationary for the whole exposure.

3 hours ago, 900SL said:

What doesn't add up is that was a 5 minute sub. Unless the aviation light somehow acts as a strobe flash? 

That's what I'd say - a brief illumination from the centre of the fuselage illuminating the landing gear and the engine pylons. 

• Like 1

But no lights on the edges of each wing which would trail across the whole image? And it's must be incredibly low (as in very very low) to capture it so magnified.

Edited by Elp

I see it now. But you also get lights on the tail, and the plane has to be incredibly close like landing approach (or a low flying monitoring aircraft) which the OP still hasnt clarified.

Edited by Elp

6 minutes ago, Elp said:

I see it now. But you also get lights on the tail, and the plane has to be incredibly close like landing approach which the OP still hasnt clarified.

From that image the gear is up and the segment visible only extends to the engine pods (surfboards as 900SL put it). So the underbody anti-collision light would be like a strobe flash lighting that area and freezing it in frame. As to how low, not necessarily depending on the magnification used it could be 5-8K feet up.

Edited by DaveL59
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, The Admiral said:

How many imagers find an aircraft in their frames when imaging the Sun/Moon? And given that those objects are only about a half degree across, one might think that is unlikely too, but it happens. So is getting a big payout on the premium bonds!

Ian

Yep, many times just observing visual, had an owl fly across the FoV one night too, even rarer than planes 🙂 

• Like 2