NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Kia Ora from Kiwi land

RimuRidgeRakiura

I'm Kev Carter, lifelong star gazer and science fiction fan. I live on beautiful Stewart Island/Rakiura at 47 degrees South off the bottom end of New Zealand. We have IDA Dark Sky Sanctuary status and are famous for providing excellent aurora australis viewing.

I'm a loving husband and father, keen outdoorsman, fisherman, photographer and woodworker amongst endless other interests. I'm a passionate conservationist and work as a Senior Biodiversity Ranger in our National Park on the island.

After being 7 years without a telescope, I've just invested in a 12 inch collapsible SkyWatcher dobsonian. I can't wait for it to arrive!

I'm looking forward to connecting with this community and enjoying all things space. Thanks all 😁

• Like 9

Welcome to SGL! I never quite made it to Stewart Island- Invercargill was as close as I got, and I just remember a lot of beauty and all of the trees only having leaves on one side, due to the wind on the coast there!

A 12 inch mirror at a dark site is a wonderful thing- really look forward to hearing about your adventures in the night sky with so many objects that we can't see on this side of our little ball 👍

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Stephenstargazer said:

If your scope comes on the ferry I wish it a smooth crossing of Foveaux Strait. 🌊

I am worried enough about that to be going across to the mainland and babysitting it back home. I'll be armed with a mountain of blankets and polystyrene. Woe be to anyone who tries to dump a hiking bag in that ferry tub😂.

Thanks for the warm welcome folks, you seem like a top notch community.

• 1 month later...
On 29/11/2023 at 20:32, RimuRidgeRakiura said:

I am worried enough about that to be going across to the mainland and babysitting it back home. I'll be armed with a mountain of blankets and polystyrene. Woe be to anyone who tries to dump a hiking bag in that ferry tub😂.

Thanks for the warm welcome folks, you seem like a top notch community.

I see you did  get the scope across OK, looks great 🙂

I am in Tai Tapu, Canterbury, briefly, for a family wedding but managed a good re-aquainrance with Southern skies late night on 7th. Bit of a struggle but got a 60mm and push to mount in luggage from UK and through Australa to here without mishap. Having just once seen a Stewart I sky, you will have anazing time with 12" dob. Trying to get most of the Southern  Caldwell catalogue in view before we return to 'land of the low grey cloud' and it is so nice to do it without freezing too.

Edited by Stephenstargazer

On 09/01/2024 at 18:02, Stephenstargazer said:

I see you did  get the scope across OK, looks great 🙂

I am in Tai Tapu, Canterbury, briefly, for a family wedding but managed a good re-aquainrance with Southern skies late night on 7th. Bit of a struggle but got a 60mm and push to mount in luggage from UK and through Australa to here without mishap. Having just once seen a Stewart I sky, you will have anazing time with 12" dob. Trying to get most of the Southern  Caldwell catalogue in view before we return to 'land of the low grey cloud' and it is so nice to do it without freezing too.

Good effort. I grew up not to far from Tai Tapu. I wonder how many SGL members travel with a scope in their luggage 🤣. I've just got back from visiting family in Australia but happily they had a 114mm reflector there and a 20mm EP. I used it to look at Jupiter a few nights back. The EQ mount took a bit of getting used to and I loved the fine scale gear adjusters.

Hello Kev @RimuRidgeRakiura

There are qite a few SGL topics on travel kit. Mine this time is based on Alt Az mount with slow motions and encoders, with a Nexus DSC so I can find objects quickly. Previously I have managed with binoculsrs, red torch and a Pocket Sky Atlas - total reliability and nil luggage impact! I see you are posting elsewhere too, well done 🙂