Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Spring Astrocamp 2024 at Cwmdu

Gfamily

For those not on Facebook - the dates for the 2024 Spring Astrocamp have been announced as April 6-9th This is the weekend after the Easter weekend. 

Bookings haven't opened yet - but if you're interested, it's a good one, taking place in the Bannu Brycheiniog National Park near to Crickhowell. 

No guarantees of course, but the 2023 Spring Star Party enjoyed a rare auroral display. 

Details, and booking when opened, on the Awesome Astronomy website https://www.astrocamp.awesomeastronomy.com/

Edited by Gfamily
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 21/11/2023 at 17:11, Gfamily said:

For those not on Facebook - the dates for the 2024 Spring Astrocamp have been announced as April 6-9th This is the weekend after the Easter weekend. 

Bookings haven't opened yet - but if you're interested, it's a good one, taking place in the Bannu Brycheiniog National Park near to Crickhowell. 

No guarantees of course, but the 2023 Spring Star Party enjoyed a rare auroral display. 

Details, and booking when opened, on the Awesome Astronomy website https://www.astrocamp.awesomeastronomy.com/

Yep, was rather good and many of us stopped stargazing just to watch it dance around the sky.

IMG_3073.thumb.jpeg.6c0635849f7a44d0bdbbfd3fc27ff6a1.jpeg

3 sec handheld iPhone photo. That is my toilet tent / scope tent in the bottom right corner.

Edited by DirkSteele
Typo
  • Like 6

I've been to three Astrocamps and experienced one clear night. Last Autumn was particularly wet and miserable the whole time. That plus sleeping on a slope for three nights is putting me off. I may chance it again this Autumn. Have a good one. 

I'll be there: pitch 26 as usual. I've got a friend, @Richard N  ,coming for the first time so let's hope we get at least one good night!

Edited by cajen2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cajen2 said:

I'll be there: pitch 26 as usual. I've got a friend - @Richard N - coming for the first time so let's hope we get at least one good night!

Unfortunately, we'll miss seeing you, as we're in France again this spring. Hope to see you at the end of September for the Autumn Astrocamp.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Gfamily said:

Unfortunately, we'll miss seeing you, as we're in France again this spring. Hope to see you at the end of September for the Autumn Astrocamp.

That's very bad planning!😛

Edited by cajen2
  • Haha 1

On 13/02/2024 at 09:08, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

I've been to three Astrocamps and experienced one clear night. Last Autumn was particularly wet and miserable the whole time. That plus sleeping on a slope for three nights is putting me off. I may chance it again this Autumn. Have a good one. 

Think I may have been pitched next to you last Autumn? it was the wettest camp I remember. However, the night before AstroCamp was beautifully clear, and there were many of us already there. Hopefully see you next autumn. 

IMG_0230.jpeg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cjg said:

Think I may have been pitched next to you last Autumn? it was the wettest camp I remember. However, the night before AstroCamp was beautifully clear, and there were many of us already there. Hopefully see you next autumn. 

IMG_0230.jpeg

Hi Chris, are you going to AstroCamp in April?  If so, are you on top field (Astro-imagers row) near me again?

Cheers,

Justyn

• Like 1

On 20/02/2024 at 07:23, Cjg said:

IMG_0230.jpeg

I was camped on 34b last time near Mike and Aidy. Please disregard that last post I've been a grumpy sausage the last couple of weeks with the "100 day cough"... 🙄

The Autumn camp really was relentlessly damp though. The last morning was perfect timing because my Vango Carron fly started dripping... It's a perfect size for one person sleeping on a proper folding bed with loads of gear and can be stood up in however I'm giving up as at Kielder the same thing happened on the last morning. The final evening we had frost and during the morning pack up the inside started dripping again. So I'm selling my Higear Enigma Elite 5 (good tent just too big) and the Vango Carron (great for summer) to part fund another tent rated for more adverse weather. Either a Berghaus Air 4 or the new Outwell Sunhill 3P Air looks interesting.

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

I was camped on 34b last time near Mike and Aidy. Please disregard that last post I've been a grumpy sausage the last couple of weeks with the "100 day cough"... 🙄

The Autumn camp really was relentlessly damp though. The last morning was perfect timing because my Vango Carron fly started dripping... It's a perfect size for one person sleeping on a proper folding bed with loads of gear and can be stood up in however I'm giving up as at Kielder the same thing happened on the last morning. The final evening we had frost and during the morning pack up the inside started dripping again. So I'm selling my Higear Enigma Elite 5 (good tent just too big) and the Vango Carron (great for summer) to part fund another tent rated for more adverse weather. Either a Berghaus Air 4 or the new Outwell Sunhill 3P Air looks interesting.

I have the  Berghaus Air 400, it is an excellent tent and well worth  spending the extra money for the  better materials and higher build quality than some cheaper brands.

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/16537526/berghaus-air-400-nightfall-tent-16537526

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 20/02/2024 at 12:23, reddoss said:

Hi Chris, are you going to AstroCamp in April?  If so, are you on top field (Astro-imagers row) near me again?

Cheers,

Justyn

Definitely not top row, Justyn. 
Not booked yet, awaiting results of an eye exam on April 5th to see when the eye drs. Will fix the cataract in my left eye. Right eye done, but internal pressure in the left eye was much higher…🫣

IMG_0722.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

I came for Friday but then had to hurry off home Saturday early for a family emergency. The brief time I had was good, despite the rain and 10/10ths cloud.

I attempted to make it, I got as far a 40 mins down the M6 and then the car died on me and I've had to be recovered back to home. Sucks. This is the 2nd time this car has died on me. I am tempted to replace it with a Ford Transit Van.

For those that did make it, let us know how it goes. Pix would be nice.

Best Regards.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, cajen2 said:

I came for Friday but then had to hurry off home Saturday early for a family emergency. The brief time I had was good, despite the rain and 10/10ths cloud.

Oh no. I hope nothing too serious! Shame we missed each other - September hopefully

6 hours ago, Live_Steam_Mad said:

I attempted to make it, I got as far a 40 mins down the M6 and then the car died on me and I've had to be recovered back to home. Sucks. This is the 2nd time this car has died on me. I am tempted to replace it with a Ford Transit Van.

For those that did make it, let us know how it goes. Pix would be nice.

Best Regards.

Sorry to hear that. Heavy wind and rain Saturday evening but then it cleared for a while. Took a quick pic on my Seestar (one of many here) but the wind was making it a little tricky. 

Some clear spells overnight, but I observed only from the bed in the van!

1712438811262.jpg

Edited by Pixies
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Pixies said:

Oh no. I hope nothing too serious! Shame we missed each other - September hopefully

Hi. No, more preventative than reactive really. I hoped to be able to get back to Cwmdu but the timing made it fruitless.

• 2 weeks later...