Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hey Stargazers!

Sirico

Hi everyone, 

Signed up after a few months lurking. 
I'll have a Ursa Major 8" f/6 Dobsonian as my first telescope once I'm allowed to open it :D so would love to hear any tips and thoughts about the scope the community has. 

Look forward to chatting to you all 

Edited by Sirico
did the link in markdown
  • Like 6

Welcome to the community. I agree that it is an excellent choice, a Newtonian is always a versatile scope, which will allow you, with the permission of the clouds, to observe DS and the Solar System with good resolution. Collimation is a matter of practice, although it is true that the first time can be overwhelming and even frustrating. But remember that to do visual it is not necessary for the alignment of the optics to be extremely precise, since an f/6 has a good margin of tolerance for collimation errors. Review the abundant information on the Internet about collimating a Newtonian to get an idea of the steps to follow, it is very important to be methodical in the procedure until you acquire the practice.

One piece of advice I would give you is that before touching any screw you check the state of collimation in which your telescope arrives, it is possible that with luck it arrives checked and well collimated, or that, at most, you only have to adjust the alignment of the primary mirror with the secondary, which is perhaps the simplest part of the procedure. Another tip would be that for the first collimations you forget to use the laser collimator and only use the collimation cap and a chesire eyepiece (long or short, it doesn't matter). Later, when the steps of the procedure are mastered, the laser (as long as it is correctly collimated) will be useful to make small quick adjustments to the collimation.

Regarding the range of eyepieces, this would be my recommendation:
A 32mm for extensive DSO in dark skies.
A 24-25 mm for open clusters. If it is wide angle (72º) it will give you practically the same FOV as the 32 but with more magnification, so you could do without it.
A 16mm for galaxies.
A 12mm that can be useful in some galaxies and globular clusters.
A 7-8mm for globular (also valid with planetary).
A 6mm for Moon and planets.
A 4 mm for detailed observation of the Moon and planets when seeing is good.
Of course, a single Barlow lens can save you from purchasing certain eyepieces.

Enjoy your telescope and the clear skies!

• 1 month later...