Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Finally chosen my set up ..... I think!!!!!

Finally about to take the plunge with my first scope!!!!

Have been trawling the forum , reading up with various magazines, books , I have Turn Left At Orion ordered and in the post and am just about to complete my order with FLO.

Any final bits of advice?

I have chosen

Skywatcher Explorer 150pl EQ3-2

Cheshire Collimating Eyepiece

Baader Moon Filter

Skywatcher Dual LED Light.

Is this a good setup to start with?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks good to me - not sure if you really need the moon filter though, although they're not expensive. I never bother, but generally i'm usually doing either lunar/planetary viewing or deep sky, not both, so don't mind the moon knackering my night vision.

One thing you might consider is eyepieces and/or barlows to go alongside the one (or two?) you get with the 'scope. Saying that, they're one of the easiest things to pick in due course when you have a bit of spare cash.

One thing to consider is, will your 6" reflector be of any use later on? What do most people use for guidescopes? I think it's refractors. Maybe it's because my next potential purchase is a small refractor that I say this...

I'd beg to differ on the red light torch. If you dont already own a good reliable torch and red nail varnish then its cheaper to get a red light torch.

When I started I did the nail varnish thing but then I happen to have a lot of nail varnish. The cost of a decent nail varnish (or even a cheap one) is likely to be the same as the cost for a red light torch near as.

I have a home made red light torch made from a freebie mini-torch I got given and coated with 'China Glaze' nail polish ( Bohemian Red ) at £14 a bottle and it still looks rubbish compared to my ready made red light torch. I saw a dual red/white torch in a post office a few weeks ago for £2.99.

The rest of the kit I'd say is cool. Great set-up to get started with.

Great choice for a 1st setup..... I personally disagree with some of the others up there, sorry guys, but I think you are wise to buy a moon filter, they are not too expensive. I find looking at the moon without a filter is quite uncomfortable, I sometime stack 2 filters together to reduce the glare.

Gary

hmmmmm . Truth is, no refractor will even come CLOSE to showing you what a 6" newt does for anything like the same £££. Don't turn to the dark side this early on.

You cannot resist the force of the dark side my young apprentice.:)

Finally about to take the plunge with my first scope!!!!

Have been trawling the forum , reading up with various magazines, books , I have Turn Left At Orion ordered and in the post and am just about to complete my order with FLO.

Any final bits of advice?

I have chosen

Skywatcher Explorer 150pl EQ3-2

Cheshire Collimating Eyepiece

Baader Moon Filter

Skywatcher Dual LED Light.

Is this a good setup to start with?

Yes - excellent choice.

for a red torch I use a cheap head torch from B&Q, unscrewed the end and covered over the top of the bulb reflector with red clear cellophane chocolate wrappers, screwed back on the glass cover and bobs your uncle - works a treat. I guess you can use any cheap torch - with the bonus of the missus being well pleased when she thinks that you've bought her a box of chocolates out of the blue!

All systems go!!!!! Ordered the lot this morning. I am currently reading the first few chapters of Turn Left At Orion, it's very simple and easy to follow. Great for a beginner like myself!!!. What sort of delivery timescale can I expect from FLO?

I agree with Gary, a moon filter is a good buy for a couple of quid, looking at the moon can be very bright and uncomfortable for the eyes, more so when it is full, i`ve got the 130p Skywatcher and views are very good but might be an idea to save for motors for the mount so that tracking and object is easier as they can go out of view very quickly if highly magnified.

you do realise that when the scope comes you will have a week of cloudy skies ! it happened to me and others i know, it`s one of those things that happens when you get your first scope.

Strangely the weather Gods were kind to me with my 130PM - I bought it and had cloudless nights for ages and some great views. I was lulled into a false sense of smugness and bought a Sky-Watcher 200 and the clouds are only just now relenting a year after I bought it :):):)

With that said the views I have had from it recently have been worth every second of the wait - though at times its tried my patience to breaking point.

Archived