Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Best Dobsonian targets?

JackW07

45 minutes ago, JackW07 said:

I'm located in the northern hemisphere. 

Wondering if there are any real good targets for a beginner

Thanks!

Tough question to answer!   There’s a vast number of good beginner targets, even from light polluted places.  I’d suggest you buy the book “Turn Left at Orion”.   It’s a brilliant book, stuffed with all types of objects at all seasons of the year.

Welcome to SGL😊

• Like 6

M11 is well worth tracking down (aka 'the wild duck')

M27 ('the dumbell nebula')

Alcor / Mizar double (one of my favourites)

M37, M37, M38 (3x Globulars in Auriga. M37 is the best)

However, if you have aperture and dark skys M42 will take some beating. Probably THE showpiece object in the northern hemisphere skys

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, NGC 1502 said:

Tough question to answer!   There’s a vast number of good beginner targets, even from light polluted places.  I’d suggest you buy the book “Turn Left at Orion”.   It’s a brilliant book, stuffed with all types of objects at all seasons of the year.

Welcome to SGL😊

+1 to Turn Left at Orion - takes me back. Started with a 200P and that book.This time of year, Taurus is available. You can’t easily miss the Pleiades and Hyades. Then set yourself a challenge: M1, the Crab Nebula. Also make the most of Jupiter!

Edited by woldsman
  • Like 1

Personally I think the tl at Orion book is over rated, others seem to like it but not sure if it has become something of a go-to response to "what's good to see!"

The stellarium or sky Safari option are IMHO better as you have a lot more info available as well as a far greater coverage of what's out there. 

Stick to the brighter stuff, mostly what has been mentioned above although I note M27,57,97 have not been mentioned. Nor  M81, 82.

Also I would invest in a Olll filter, superb on most nebula.

Finally, get to dark skies to view as it makes sohhh much difference to the end result

Hi @JackW07 and welcome to SGL. :hello2:

I will second what has been said above by fellow SGL’ers are recommended targets for newbies. The constellation of Virgo has plenty of DSO’s if that is your thing. At the time of writing/posting, Virgo is rising in the early morning for us northern hemisphere observers.

To get the best visual views, I would recommend an UHC or Olll filter. I myself have and use the Explore Scientific ones.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 15/11/2023 at 10:31, bosun21 said:

I hold this book in higher regard than Turn Left at Orion. It goes through all the good targets to view from suburban skies. They are rated bronze, silver and gold in relation to their difficulty.

0A423DD8-7D99-4B70-B0A2-4521E03FA709.thumb.jpeg.a7737c98f4a2ab43f57712151813bdc5.jpeg

@Bosun21 Thank you for your very kind comments. To be compared to one of the best known practical observing books out there ( I have an older copy myself, not the latest edition), is unexpected praise.  I hope you continue to enjoy the book as much as myself, Andy and John ( with the assistance of several of our friends at Loughton Astronomical Society) did putting it all together.  Best and clear skies! Malcolm

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, GasGiant said:

would you look at DSO nebulars and such, through a 30mm eyepiece/Dob for a wide FOV ? 

Yes. I Gather your Dob is a 10" F5, so this provides a nice large exit pupil and wide TFOV for observation of large DSOs.

• Like 1