Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter with Io transit from North Cornwall 30th October 23

AstroNebulee

This is Jupiter taken on 30-10-23, the only chance I was going to get this close to opposition with the impending storms, rain, wind, snow, Armageddon, apocalypse and plagues. It was a briefest gap in the clouds that lasted 20 seconds which included high cloud before I had to deploy the umbrella and cover the scope and laptop up before trying to hightail it inside. 

You can spot the transit of Io on the bottom left of the disc and Ganymede in the top right of the frame. 

Taken with Skymax 90mm, AzGti and zwo asi120mc-s. Processed in Autostakkert, Registax and photoshop. 

Jupiter with Io transit 30-10-23_edit_2365555109497895-01.jpeg

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 12

5 minutes ago, Elp said:

With the weather we've had this year I'd be hesitant leaving a rig outside unattended atm doing deep sky. You got a result from such a short session.

Yes this was just taking my grab abd go AzGti alt az setup out with SM90 and laptop quickly. Think I've only had 4 good deep sky sessions this year, awful indeed. Let's hope for better things soon (this week is looking rubbish here in Cornwall again) 

Very nice pic.  And great to capture that in such a short time.  

Oh, I know the Cornish weather very well.  Warm, wet, westerly winds as they taught us in school geography.  Not 'arf!.  Some of the best astronomy weather I've had down there is when the weather has been coming from the east.  

• Thanks 1

Nice job for 20s! Hopefully the clear skies I’m predicted for a few nights this week also work their way down to you Lee so you can catch some more time on Jupiter. 

I had the scope out last night, after 2 subs, and a debatable sky from firework smoke, the guider started binging from cloud cover at 6.30 and it was raining - wasn’t in the forecast for another 3 hours! First time I’ve had it rained on, and fortunately it wasn’t too bad when I brought it in. I like the idea of an umbrella, but I think I’m going to invest in a dedicated tarpaulin or something to throw over just in case.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, WolfieGlos said:

, but I think I’m going to invest in a dedicated tarpaulin or something to throw over just in case.

These are great zipped covers for scopes. Lightweight and completely waterproof/wind proof. I ended up buying three of them.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/404407114615?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=rup-waovs0q&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=bx3n7nxfspg&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

Oh, I know the Cornish weather very well.  Warm, wet, westerly winds as they taught us in school geography.  Not 'arf!.  Some of the best astronomy weather I've had down there is when the weather has been coming from the east

Thank you. Yes down here we are generally caught in the narrow band of wet westerly wind and rain, I forget what it's called now but southern Wales is in that corridor too. It tends to Peter out after it goes past Devon and then clears for everyone else further along. 🙄

7 hours ago, WolfieGlos said:

Nice job for 20s! Hopefully the clear skies I’m predicted for a few nights this week also work their way down to you Lee so you can catch some more time on Jupiter. 

Thank you. I hope you get your clear skies this week, good luck 😊, not a sniff down here this week, the only day its not raining is Friday but it's a  cloud blackout predicted. 

7 hours ago, geoflewis said:

Very nice capture.

Thank you, you are all very kind. 

Clear skies everyone. 

Lee 

Screenshot_20231107_065925_com.android.chrome.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, knobby said:

Nice result, there's a lot to be said for grab and go setups in the uk !

Thank you. I agree with a need for grab and go set ups in the UK. It's been outside so much more than my imaging set up. 

Lee

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 1