Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Satellite s ???

WEASEL007

Hi all! 
So was out walking the dog and as our hobby dictates I always look up! But tonight I saw this. Had to take a very quick snap with my phone as I didn’t know what it was! I do now. Thanks for the rare sight Mr. Musk! 
A bit of a rant… While I understand it, these satellites are starting to get very annoying to us, both visual and photographers. Considering a very tiny portion of the sky is being seen or captured at anyone time, I always get them buzzing through my eyepiece or trail through images. Just how many are up there for goodness sake! Makes the film Gravity seem that more realistic! So much up there I’m surprised we can send anything into space and it’s getting worse. 

IMG_1257.jpeg

Edited by JonHigh
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, John said:

12,000 starlinks planned to be in orbit by 2026 😬

That’s unbelievable! And I bet I will still have broadband connection issues!!! 😂 

Edited by JonHigh

The plan is for tens of thousands isn't it? I see the amazon chappie (not to be outdone) is getting ready to start launching his lot.  Look up in 20 years time and the night sky with be a fine white mist of satellites I reckon.  

• Sad 2

It's ironic isn't it? Just as we might have believed that some progress was being made controlling ground based light pollution - what with dark sky areas etc - they think of ways of light polluting the skies from above.   

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I guess it’s too hard or too much of an ask for these companies to clean up the space junk before launching more satellites up there. Oh well, let be a worry for future generations! History will always seems to be repeated and we will never learn. How sad.
I'm not usually like this so sorry to get all ‘Greta’ on you!!! 

Edited by JonHigh
  • Like 1

Presumably the increasing amount of operational and dead satellites, combined with all the other debris to be put in orbit in the future will prevent humanity venturing out into space long before we work out how to do it. Being in orbit will just be too dangerous.

I should think getting into the space cleaning business will be very lucrative In the future.😁

• Like 1

Going to be a bit cynical here…

There have been plentiful ideas about but the truth of the matter is a simple word that means everything… Profit! It will be up to governments round the world to sort it out and who will pay for it? The humble tax payer! Sure private companies with do it for lucrative government contracts but ultimately it’s far more profitable to send up more satellites. Unless they can bring all the space junk back down and recycle it but that still wouldn’t be cost effective. 
Far better to wait until something really bad happens to push a clean up operation. 

Edited by JonHigh
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, John said:

t was being considered over a decade ago:

That’s good, pity they didn’t (or ever will) use it.

Yeah, I know they’re only little bits...

D2AEFDF7-5ED6-497B-894B-0525BEA1EF8E.jpeg

Edited by Andy ES
  • Sad 1

There are already reports of ISS crews getting into capsules 'just in case' and satellites using their limited fuel to avoid near misses.

The basic problem is that majority of high orbiting stuff (that hangs about for a long time) is put there by countries who don't get on with each other.
It doesn't take a great deal of imagination to think of the leader of country A lamenting the loss of a manned craft after impact with something left by country B.
It wasn't our fault - the other lot left their junk up there.

Just how many satellites can fit into (the limited space) geostationary orbit before they start nudging each other?

Very sad.

For such an ‘intelligent’ species, we ain’t half dumb! They say ignorance is 9/10ths of the law. They should change that to arrogance! 
A very sad state of affairs for future astronomers and astronauts a like. 

Edited by JonHigh

22 hours ago, bosun21 said:

What a totally depressing outlook for the next generations of astronomers. Is this the beginning of the end for ground based astronomy?

I hear the far side of the Moon is good for visual and radio astronomy 😂

• Haha 2