NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Can it be true?

Stu

Can it be true? No, it seems 🤣

Well I got about 20 minutes just after Astro dark before the cloud rolled over. Now, you can barely see the Moon.

Like everyone else….bbc predicts clear skies all night, clear outside says the opposite.

Sigh. I’ll give it a while, but I guess I’ll be watching Partygate whilst getting no subs instead 🫣

Edited by WolfieGlos

46 minutes ago, Zermelo said:

The BBC forecasts have been way too optimistic recently.

I’ve found they are pretty accurate during the day (thunderstorms aside, they are pretty much always wrong on those), but at night i agree. The bbc are predicting clear skies every night for the next week here. Clear outside says absolutely no chance.

Right now, it’s still cloudy almost everywhere across the sky here, yet incredibly the Apple weather app is saying clear skies for 2 hours from midnight. 

Edited by WolfieGlos
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Seelive said:

There are meteorological clear skies and astronomical clear skies, the two are not the same 😆

Yes, I think that part of it is that the BBC forecast has different criteria. Sometimes it seems to say "clear" when there are no low clouds, yet there is widespread mid or high level mistiness.

But recently, the divergence seems to have increased.

I had hope of 2-3 hours clear, wheeled it all out, and my only success was to polar align, which took ages. Clouds had come in, and I was too tired to wait any longer. Woke up in the early hours to a very bright moon shining through the window (a time when the forecast said any clear spells would be long gone).  I await Saturday's forecast clear night with low expectations...

I had clear sky forecast for this Friday and Saturday. Friday has already disappeared, now waiting for Saturday to do the same.

It appears to be the norm that forecast clear nights gradually disappear but how often do you see a clear night appear out of nowhere.

Tonight looks very much the same.

BBC is predicting clear skies until circa 2am.

Clear Outside is predicting cloud all night, with no chance of rain.

Apple’s Weather app is predicting rain for another hour, and then cloud all night.

So in other words…covering all eventualities 🤨 So far, Apples app is correct sadly. Hopefully the weekends predictions for clear skies are correct 🤞

On 03/10/2023 at 16:32, Bugdozer said:

Too late, my new camera adapter has arrived this morning. We will now have solid cloud for 2 weeks, which is exactly what happened when I got my last one.

I actually got clear skies last night and took the gear out to test the adapter. 

Unfortunately, it was so windy I couldn't even get a picture of the moon without motion blur from the scope juddering. As for Jupiter, forget it!