Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SGL 2023 Challenge 6 - Solar

MartinB

First of all, many apologies for the late announcement of this result.  I have been away on holiday and didn't have the opportunity to post.  Anyway, I'm back now and have the results.

We knew this challenge would be popular and that we would have some excellent entries, especially given that the sun is very active at the moment.  However, some of the entries were simply sensational!  It quickly became apparent that it is very difficult to judge a sunspot image against one of a prominence, therefore we have split the entries into 4 categories - Sunspots, prominences, full disc and animations with one winner from each.

Sunspot

Nigella Bryant

Nigella_Bryant_sunspot3.jpg.9159c671f6aed74b0a905ca75c55f187.jpg

Prominence

Mark 998

Mark998_segmentwithproms.jpg.72e46c73c5dc9103b410a1f3a6f3b8fc.jpg

Full Disc

Ibbo

Ibbo_full_disc_crop.thumb.png.6ae8fada8f7d247e591ff2fc0bd5d392.png

Animation

Minhlead

Minhlenad_animation2.gif.41b206d7870755e5718f584c86fc6a97.gif

This animation is simply astounding and is the the overall winner of the challenge.

Well done to everyone who took part.  There are many other exceptionally good images in the thread so it is well worth having a look https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/410393-sgl-2023-challenge-6-solar/

• Like 8

Goodness I won the sunspot slot, lol. They were all stunning images, well done everyone. I didn't expect to win a category, I'm humbled. The much prized mug will be with me in my solar observatory in the future, thanks Martin, much appreciated. 

Edited by Nigella Bryant
More comment added.
  • Like 1