Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter, GRS and Callisto under exceptional seeing (09/09/23)

Kon

I managed my best ever Jupiter capture yesterday morning. It was as if the atmosphere had disappeared and Jupiter just stayed still. I have 1.5hrs worth of videos but these are my best 5 images that I derotated. Callisto might be showing some details too. 8" Dob, manual, asi462mc, UV/IR cut filter and 2.5x TV powermate. Resized to 120%.

65-moon.png.613b17f63250e653776233735a41d67f.png  

• Like 31

1 hour ago, knobby said:

That's a lovely capture !

I was out last night shooting Saturn but had to stop at 12, I did see Jupiter rising and was so tempted 🤣

Thanks. I wish we had weather like this more often. I hope you managed a good Saturn capture.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Space Cowboy said:

Terrfic image Kostas! The atmosphere has been so still these last few days and youve taken full advantage. Very nice detail inide the GRS.

Alas I couldn't take my Dob to Abersoch, just got back today 😉

Thanks Stuart. It reminded me when I was capturing Venus back in June, super stable. I am sure there's more to these captures so I will be revisiting at some point.

I hope you had a nice holiday. The weather has been nice 🙂.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kon said:

Thanks Stuart. It reminded me when I was capturing Venus back in June, super stable. I am sure there's more to these captures so I will be revisiting at some point.

I hope you had a nice holiday. The weather has been nice 🙂.

Thanks it was actually quite cloudy on the coast each morning. 

Might be worth giving drizzle a whirl on that data.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Space Cowboy said:

Thanks it was actually quite cloudy on the coast each morning. 

Might be worth giving drizzle a whirl on that data.

Good point on the drizzle.  Should I downsample before or after wavelets?

35 minutes ago, CraigT82 said:

That’s a real beauty of a capture… nice of the seeing to play ball when the GRS is smack bang in the middle! 

Thanks Craig. A rare phenomenon  for everything to align in UK 🤣. I hope you have been managing some imaging too.

2 hours ago, Kon said:

Thanks Craig. A rare phenomenon  for everything to align in UK 🤣. I hope you have been managing some imaging too.

I’ve barely touched a scope in months… two little ankle biters plus ongoing house renovation means I haven’t got much spare time! Will get back on it soon though as the planets rise earlier 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Neil_104 said:

Wow, simply astounding! Very well done.

Nice to see confirmation of how I was seeing the GRS appear on Saturday morning.

Thanks Neil. One of the best seeing we had in a long time. I had a visual as well and it was outstanding.

3 hours ago, siatnite said:

Nice work Kostas very nice detail coming through, lots of cloud here in the east mids its been very difficult to even get a run in!

Thanks Simon. I thought most of the UK had the nice weather over the weekend but I know what you mean, so temperamental this summer.

4 hours ago, maw lod qan said:

Excellent image!

Down below the GRS to the left a bit is a white dot.

Is that the most recent impact scar?

Thanks. Unlikely as that was on the other side away from GRS. 

This is a very nice image, indeed.  Would you mind sharing the tiff of your stack (or uploading the best video), I have a sneaking suspicion that one can eke out more out of it. If the seeing was exceptional, let's leave no stone unturned. :)

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, BGazing said:

This is a very nice image, indeed.  Would you mind sharing the tiff of your stack (or uploading the best video), I have a sneaking suspicion that one can eke out more out of it. If the seeing was exceptional, let's leave no stone unturned. :)

Thanks. Looking through my captures again it seems that I can be stricter in the derotation and drop 2 stacks that are just a bit less defined. This is the stack after winjupos that I used for the posted image.

2023-09-09-0355_1-Jupiter_pipp_lapl4_ap164.tif

2 minutes ago, Kon said:

Thanks. Looking through my captures again it seems that I can be stricter in the derotation and drop 2 stacks that are just a bit less defined. This is the stack after winjupos that I used for the posted image.

2023-09-09-0355_1-Jupiter_pipp_lapl4_ap164.tif 938.79 kB · 0 downloads

Hm, something is off.

Seems like you did WJ before sharpening. And I cannot sharpen this tiff properly for some reason. RGB balance is there.

Can you upload your best tiff? How many frames did you stack and what was the exposure? Under 5000 frames at, say 6ms, it is difficult to do much sharpening IMHO.

Just now, BGazing said:

Hm, something is off.

Seems like you did WJ before sharpening. And I cannot sharpen this tiff properly for some reason. RGB balance is there.

Can you upload your best tiff? How many frames did you stack and what was the exposure? Under 5000 frames at, say 6ms, it is difficult to do much sharpening IMHO.

I only sharpen 20% before winjupos and then do my processing.  This is one of the best stacks; 25% of 25000 frames at 5.5ms.

2023-09-09-0400_8-Jupiter_pipp_lapl4_ap164.tif