Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

White light solar - attempt at e-sketch

Stu

Thought I would give this a go again. I’ve attempted to copy images before by way of practise, but this was sketched live at the eyepiece. I use a Remarkable 2 e-ink tablet which has a stylus and various different pen settings. Works ok, sure I can refine it though.

Tak FC-76DC, CoolWedge, Leica Zoom with AP Barcon element in the base. Set at about 3/4 towards max, probably around x80 very roughly.

0B9C8016-B114-472B-9C63-3058B9364FCE.jpeg

E667B91F-1F45-49A8-916B-E9D89E7BDCBE.jpeg

• Like 24

11 hours ago, JeremyS said:

Crikey @Stu, I thought you were tricking us with that first sketch and it was an image.

Excellent job 👍🏻

You flatter my cumbersome efforts Jeremy, but thank you 🙏. Will see if I can add another today 👍

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, IB20 said:

Great work these @Stu, are all these with the 76DCU or Q?

Thanks 🙏

These are with the DCU. I am wary of using the Q with a Wedge as I don’t know if the CQ module would overheat or not. I’ve thought about placing a UV/IR cut filter ahead of it which should prevent that, just need to find a neat way of attaching a holder infront of the optics. Unless anyone has proved it works ok/is safe without?

Just now, Stu said:

Thanks 🙏

These are with the DCU. I am wary of using the Q with a Wedge as I don’t know if the CQ module would overheat or not. I’ve thought about placing a UV/IR cut filter ahead of it which should prevent that, just need to find a neat way of attaching a holder infront of the optics. Unless anyone has proved it works ok/is safe without?

Not in my experience, doesn’t seem to make a difference in terms of heat generation. The 10XW frames it perfectly! 

Can I ask what tablet and stylus you use? I had a soft tip stylus with my old iPad and it would make sketching penumbral and umbral tendrils almost impossible. I draw with my finger currently and it’s incredibly inaccurate and clumsy.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, IB20 said:

Not in my experience, doesn’t seem to make a difference in terms of heat generation. The 10XW frames it perfectly! 

Can I ask what tablet and stylus you use? I had a soft tip stylus with my old iPad and it would make sketching penumbral and umbral tendrils almost impossible. I draw with my finger currently and it’s incredibly inaccurate and clumsy.

Thanks, might have to give it a try if I brave enough.

I use a Remarkable 2 e-ink tablet. It works very well, and the screen is very easy to see in full sunshine. I’m still trying out different methods as it has a wide range of pen types, shades and thicknesses you can select. There is a very fine option which works well for the fine stuff. I’m just trying to show the basics currently!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gonariu said:

Schtches very beautiful, what scope did you use?

These are with a Takahashi FC76DCU ie 76mm f7.5 Fluorite apo. I use a Baader CoolWedge and Leica Zoom with Barlow giving around x80.

• 2 weeks later...