Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Nooooooo! Damn!

Chaz2b

What can one do, when you drop your most expensive pair of binos down the stairs hitting your neighbours shoulder along the way. They were..in a1 condition, but not now!

I am soooo annoyed with myself I don’t know which part to start kicking first! Luckily my neighbour isn’t hurt as it only glanced her shoulder, but they are Fujinon 16x70 which I’ve only purchased a couple of day ago. Aaaahh!

chaz

Edited by Chaz2b
  • Sad 8

Ouch, hard to even read about.  However, how is the collimation?  Maybe it’s still ok but if not perhaps a repair is possible.

One other thing….some home insurance policies might cover this?  Worth checking the small print.

Hope you sort it….

Ed.

Thanks Ed. First thing I checked was collimation, it looks okay. It’s had part of the back cover scratched and a dent in the armoured covering, other than that I can’t see any other damage. Clear skies tonight so I was setting up the focus on the moon.

Going to be out late tonight so I’ll see if there is any subtle damages.

Still….Aaaaaahh!

• Like 1

worth taking a look via the objective end to see if there's any damage to the prisms too, would show if looking at a bright source like the moon or a lightbulb.

Fingers crossed it's just a little battle scarred but hopefully fully functional 🙂

I will Dave, but I need to calm myself down first. I’ve never, and I mean never, have dropped any of my optical instruments.

I feel terribly stupid and also guilty for hitting my neighbour with it, even after she said she’s fine.

If you look at the two inline mounting holes, you’ll see the back one is slightly lighter in colour, the thread looks slightly stripped which insinuates I might have over tightened the thread stripping it.

I will replace that mount with a better one.

IMG_6903.jpeg

IMG_6902.jpeg

Yes, that thread is gone.

The damage to the housing is I think mostly superficial, so I suspect the optics will be fine. Fujinons are well built.

In the hands of a good craftsman, that damage could be renovated to 'barely visible'

I truly feel your pain and the disbelief in what has happened.
I hope they are in collimation and still usable.

Last year I dropped from my mount my ED103 and had to claim for it on household insurance, the claim was fully settled.
The real issue was a suitable repairer, but for biniculars you have a choice I believe.

That will be my next consideration, finding someone as said, that craftsman.

If anyone knows of such a craftsman please let me know.   I’ve spent a fair few kidneys buying it, so it will be worth getting it back to that standard I bought it in.

As for my first light experience, it’s sharp! But there was some slight colouring on the moon, but then so shows on my Celestron 20x80 pro too!

chaz…..on my seventh cup of coffee!🤪

3 hours ago, Chaz2b said:

I don’t know which part to start kicking first!

Ahhh that's so unfortunate! I hope you can get them fixed soon, I once tried kicking my own behind but it didn't work 😂

4 hours ago, Chaz2b said:

I will Dave, but I need to calm myself down first. I’ve never, and I mean never, have dropped any of my optical instruments.

I feel terribly stupid and also guilty for hitting my neighbour with it, even after she said she’s fine.

If you look at the two inline mounting holes, you’ll see the back one is slightly lighter in colour, the thread looks slightly stripped which insinuates I might have over tightened the thread stripping it.

I will replace that mount with a better one.

IMG_6903.jpeg

IMG_6902.jpeg

~

Well, they're not new anymore 😥.

My 16x70s are used only on a parallelogram mount, so I have never attached the provided neckstrap, either, and they are the only pair I worry about while handling. Other binos, cameras, etc. do not get far outside the case before the neckstrap goes over my head.

Yours appear to be of an earlier generation from mine, as I have no yellow accents.

Good luck!

Yours is the Polaris? When I bought these I was under the influence of well organised sales patter, and one for looking for those better optics fell for it!

Get it? I fell for it….oh! Never mind.😆😪
I have now mounted them onto a cradle which has more stability, but it means I will take them out separately, as I should of.

Edited by Chaz2b