Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Astrobiscuit Is Back

LukeSkywatcher

2 hours ago, malc-c said:

...it did provide him with a decent image to flog for £300 to raise more money for a return trip with a bigger telescope...

I'm amazed people will cough up for that. But it does come with a signed certificate 😀

• Haha 5

I always enjoy Astrobiscuit’s videos, the latest one was also very entertaining and a huge amount of work must have gone into it. I think the main issue was that Mr Biscuit (Rory) placed too much faith in his engineer friend (obviously a fine engineer, but design of astronomy equipment apparently not his forte) which seemed to lead to a series of unnecessary issues with the mirror. Not sure about that fragile wire-based secondary spider arrangement either. But I’ll keep watching as I’m curious to see where this story goes next…

Fun fact: The name for the Canary Islands  comes from the Latin  “Insula Canaria”, meaning ‘Island of the Dogs’. Nothing to do with our feathered friends. 🙂

• Like 1

After watching the latest video I wondered how short changed those who paid for Astrobiscuit and buddies felt at the end.  Drinking in the hot tub is hardly astronomy,  didn't understand the urgency to image same night as the larger telescope either?   And why not test the scope before taking it abroad?  All a bit fake.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I was a subscriber, his first videos were very entertaining and usefull and fun to watch. But now he’s grown his expertise to larger more expensive adventures, the fun nature has gone from it for me, plus when he made a video on collimation, it was in two parts, with only his Patreons having access to the more detailed addition…what?! Unsubscribed!

chaz

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Chaz2b said:

I was a subscriber, his first videos were very entertaining and usefull and fun to watch. But now he’s grown his expertise to larger more expensive adventures, the fun nature has gone from it for me, plus when he made a video on collimation, it was in two parts, with only his Patreons having access to the more detailed addition…what?! Unsubscribed!

chaz

Snap.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chaz2b said:

chaz

Ditto 👍.

• Like 1

Give him his due though, he managed to get total strangers to pay for a holiday in the canaries!

man, if only I could do that…no! Actually I’d feel guilty.

• Like 1

E-begging seems to be the fate of all Youtubers that start out as interesting hobby channels done for fun. The moment the words "buy my merch" or "subscribe to my Patreon" come out its time to go and never look back.

There are exceptions, but most hobby Youtuber turned career Youtubers really drop off a cliff in terms of how enjoyable the content is.

• Like 5

At the end of the La Palma video Rory claims that the seeing at the mountain top is less than .5'' and this is why the professional telescope pulled ahead. Actually the Isaac Newton Telescope web site lists the median average seeing as .8'' (slightly better in summer) based on regular automatic observations going back many years. He just needs to come back with the same gear on a bad seeing night for a draw 🙂

I still like his channel, he tries to do different things and the plugs for stuff are understandable to keep him going a bit like the ads on TV. 

• Like 1

I think the channel is ok. It seems to be bringing a Top Gear style of entertainment to astronomy whereby a few guys go off on a chaotic jolly under the pretence of testing out some gear. I think he evidently knows his stuff well enough and the dramas and calamities  are created for entertainment effect.

The funding is just how the world turns these days and to be fair it is transparent. If you don't want to pay towards a channel you don't have to, and in the case of the trip abroad the channel will be judged soon enough by the subscribing public and will know this.  I thought that latest video was within what could reasonably be expected of the channel based on previous videos.