Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Rho Ophiuchi from the UK

Snoani

Hi all

I've dreamt about capturing the Rho Ophiuchi cloud complex since I started this hobby but living in the UK I have resisted, hoping for trip to southern Europe in which I could take some equipment.  But alas the opportunity hasn't arisen yet. 

Living at the bottom of the Isle of WIght I am lucky enough to have a southern sky with little light pollution and so I decided to experiment this week.  

From my location Rho Ophiuchi sits between 12 - 17 degrees above the horizon at its peaks and so there is a lot of atmosphere to image through, which is far from ideal.

In total I captured about 7.5 hours of data which I narrowed down to 4.5 hours used and processed in Pixinsight.  All in all I am really happy with the outcome given the limitations.  I'm sure that the colour and detail would be better under better circumstances and would still love the opportunity in the future to try from a location where it is high in the sky.   

Equipment used was an Askar FMA180 Pro with a ASI 294MC Pro and a Skywatch Star Adventurer GTi, guided.  This is just my second outing with the Askar and so far I have to say that I am loving it.  It is a great little scope.  

Thanks for looking.  

image.thumb.jpeg.41198e3e8574f01392cb13805a6baf46.jpeg

• Like 34
  • Thanks 1

That is great. I see it through a gap between trees and a neighbours house for about 40 mins max. I'm getting gear together so I can get to a clearer horizon. If I get anywhere near your attempt I'll be a happy bunny.

Edited by fwm891
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Snoani said:

Hi all

I've dreamt about capturing the Rho Ophiuchi cloud complex since I started this hobby but living in the UK I have resisted, hoping for trip to southern Europe in which I could take some equipment.  But alas the opportunity hasn't arisen yet. 

Living at the bottom of the Isle of WIght I am lucky enough to have a southern sky with little light pollution and so I decided to experiment this week.  

From my location Rho Ophiuchi sits between 12 - 17 degrees above the horizon at its peaks and so there is a lot of atmosphere to image through, which is far from ideal.

In total I captured about 7.5 hours of data which I narrowed down to 4.5 hours used and processed in Pixinsight.  All in all I am really happy with the outcome given the limitations.  I'm sure that the colour and detail would be better under better circumstances and would still love the opportunity in the future to try from a location where it is high in the sky.   

Equipment used was an Askar FMA180 Pro with a ASI 294MC Pro and a Skywatch Star Adventurer GTi, guided.  This is just my second outing with the Askar and so far I have to say that I am loving it.  It is a great little scope.  

Thanks for looking.  

image.thumb.jpeg.41198e3e8574f01392cb13805a6baf46.jpeg

I am off to Tenerife in two weeks to shoot this with the same scope and mount. 

Seeing whats possible from the UK gives me hopes of a good result.

Adam 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1