Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Travel setup ... with checked airline bag?

Hello everyone,

I've seen a few discussions of travel rigs with cabin bags, involving some very impressive Tetris-ing.

But I'm wondering what kind of setup I could usefully take with me in my hold luggage on a plane. I'm going on a trip to Arizona in two weeks with a checked bag, and I'd love to have something more than a 3" frac along for the ride while out in the desert – and hopefully some quite dark skies.

Without wanting to spend a fortune, my first thought was the flextube Heritage 150p! Nice 6" of aperture, fairly compact... but Tiny Clanger pointed out that the Dob base likely can't be disassembled, so would be very awkward even in checked luggage.

Perhaps the 130p is easier?

Has anyone actually tried to dissamble those tabletop Dob mounts?

Or – alternative – a decent 102" frac, with some kind of lightweight mount (a little Castor? Or I have an AZ5 ...) and a carbon-fibre photography tripod that is compact enough to fit into a normal human suitcase?

Of course I would pack the OTA in lots of clothes but clearly it will also get bumped around in the cargo hold. Not sure if that means buying a good ED frac for this purpose is a terrible idea. 

I did also consider a Mak but I'm not sure it would be a good all-rounder to use with some non-astro friends without Go-To / tracking... one of the things I'm most excited about is DSOs! (I get plenty of planetary action in London - in fact that's ALL I get.) Or perhaps I'm wrong about that too? Maybe a 4 inch Mak on an AzGTi?

Too many options ... SEND HELP PLEASE

Chris

• Like 1

Many years ago, I disassembled the base of the 130 heritage mini dob to take away to Greece. The two main parts separated quite easily.

The plan was to wrap the OTA in both our beach towels, however the week before we were due to fly, an "open box" Altair 72mm mini frac was on offer at Wex here in Norwich, so that, in its case was my hand luggage. Seemed less risky at the time.

Could you not buy a scope in Arizona on arrival, just taking your mount with you outwards?

Good luck.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Basementboy said:

Did the base fit back together as easily as it came apart?

Definitely, it's still in use, albeit infrequently with the person I gave it to. I was really gentle in prising it apart.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Basementboy said:

Hello everyone,

I've seen a few discussions of travel rigs with cabin bags, involving some very impressive Tetris-ing.

But I'm wondering what kind of setup I could usefully take with me in my hold luggage on a plane. I'm going on a trip to Arizona in two weeks with a checked bag, and I'd love to have something more than a 3" frac along for the ride while out in the desert – and hopefully some quite dark skies.

Without wanting to spend a fortune, my first thought was the flextube Heritage 150p! Nice 6" of aperture, fairly compact... but Tiny Clanger pointed out that the Dob base likely can't be disassembled, so would be very awkward even in checked luggage.

Perhaps the 130p is easier?

Has anyone actually tried to dissamble those tabletop Dob mounts?

Or – alternative – a decent 102" frac, with some kind of lightweight mount (a little Castor? Or I have an AZ5 ...) and a carbon-fibre photography tripod that is compact enough to fit into a normal human suitcase?

Of course I would pack the OTA in lots of clothes but clearly it will also get bumped around in the cargo hold. Not sure if that means buying a good ED frac for this purpose is a terrible idea. 

I did also consider a Mak but I'm not sure it would be a good all-rounder to use with some non-astro friends without Go-To / tracking... one of the things I'm most excited about is DSOs! (I get plenty of planetary action in London - in fact that's ALL I get.) Or perhaps I'm wrong about that too? Maybe a 4 inch Mak on an AzGTi?

Too many options ... SEND HELP PLEASE

Chris

Have you considered a large pair of binoculars (80mm+) on a tripod as an alternative? They'd probably survive the trip in the hold a lot better than a reflector, and if you are truly dark skies even the binoculars will amaze when compared to London skies.

You might also want to check travel insurance for the level of cover if you're going to pack anything valuable in the hold.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd opt for a C5, which I believe packs the most aperture into an easily airline portable OTA. (And a used C5 is relatively inexpensive.) With that C5, I'd recommend a spring counterbalanced fluid video head because you can get ones that are light and stable for this class of scope... And then I'd put those on one of the Innorel (or a rebrand) carbon fiber tripods, which would go in your checked bag.

Wow... This sounds exactly like my own travel setup 🤗

msg-326834-0-85185300-1676070823_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I'd go for the 4 inch refractor, perhaps packed in its rigid foam hard case lining within a larger bag. I've done this before. Indeed, I once flew with a 5 inch F7 without issue. You can be unlucky with baggage, of course, but I've flown sixty times with a bicycle in the hold and never had any serious damage. It isn't that bad!

Olly

Edited by ollypenrice
typo
  • Like 3

Personally I wouldn’t risk anything in the hold. You could end up without anything to enjoy those dark skies.  
The scopes I’ve taken as hand luggage are:    
4” Maksutov - really not the right scope for DSOs, and as a fellow city dweller, it was an unsatisfying travel scope.   
80ED Equinox - excellent all rounder. 
100mm Apo, minus the focuser and dew shield to fit into hand luggage - pretty much a dream set up.    
85mm Apo - my current set up. This is the one I’ll stick with. There is so much to see travelling when you’re not used to dark skies that the slightly small aperture isn’t really an issue. 
If you’re determined to take a larger scope, I do like the idea of a C5 though - and you wouldn’t need to risk it in the hold - it would easily fit into hand luggage. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Highburymark said:

I do like the idea of a C5 though - and you wouldn’t need to risk it in the hold - it would easily fit into hand luggage

+1

You might also consider a Borg refractor. They're extremely light and break down into small components. The 90FL is a lovely, and expensive, travel scope. There's a 4" ED and a 4" achro that one can buy used, but I'd be surprised if you found either in time for your trip. So this suggestion might be rather academic and for those who are interested in various travel setups, in general ☺️

Whatever you take, put an Air Tag in it somewhere in the case of theft by air cargo handlers.  They mostly take electronics, but have been known to take photography equipment.  Telescopes resemble photography equipment.  Don't think putting clothes around it hides it.  Every bag is screened via X-ray scanner.  Those running the scanners tip off conspirators deep in the bowels of the airport of anything valuable looking.

When I took a telescope on an aircraft I made what I could out of what I already had. Obviously taking my 200p Dob wasn’t going to happen but the little 4.5 inch reflector was perfectly practical to take on as cabin baggage. Plus the mount and accessories there was still room for some cloths too.

But I decided on a basic tripod over a Dob base. Where we went the ground was uneven and rocky so I simple tripod was far more practical. I just used a lightweight tripod from my old EQ1 which went into the hold. You can pick them up for peanuts. Sure, it’s wobbly but it was rarely necessary (if at all) to go over around 40x and the stunning views made up for any shakes!

And it was so dark. Eg we could easily make out the swan nebula naked eye. Through the telescope the lagoon and triffid nebula were outstanding. Especially the lagoon - I’ve never even anything like it and this thorough a small reflector. So whatever you take/do have fun and enjoy yourself.

Only other advice that I can think of is to be careful with any tools like screwdrivers or allen keys. These items are prohibited in the cabin so need to go into the hold. 

• Like 2

CAA ‘carry-on’ baggage allowance [i.e. weight/dimensions] differ from FAA… and the airline/carrier.

Also note that any rechargeable/sealed batteries and devices must be kept with you and within your ‘carry-on’ allowance and not to be placed in the hold-luggage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 22/04/2023 at 14:21, Louis D said:

Whatever you take, put an Air Tag in it somewhere in the case of theft by air cargo handlers.  They mostly take electronics, but have been known to take photography equipment.  Telescopes resemble photography equipment.  Don't think putting clothes around it hides it.  Every bag is screened via X-ray scanner.  Those running the scanners tip off conspirators deep in the bowels of the airport of anything valuable looking.

I read or heard somewhere within LHR, that baggage with ‘air tags’ are no longer permitted to placed into the aircraft baggage hold because it contains a sealed-battery. Best to check with the airline a few days before the departure date to confirm.

Edited by Philip R

3 hours ago, Highburymark said:

Personally I wouldn’t risk anything in the hold. You could end up without anything to enjoy those dark skies.  
The scopes I’ve taken as hand luggage are:    
4” Maksutov - really not the right scope for DSOs, and as a fellow city dweller, it was an unsatisfying travel scope.   
80ED Equinox - excellent all rounder. 
100mm Apo, minus the focuser and dew shield to fit into hand luggage - pretty much a dream set up.    
85mm Apo - my current set up. This is the one I’ll stick with. There is so much to see travelling when you’re not used to dark skies that the slightly small aperture isn’t really an issue. 
If you’re determined to take a larger scope, I do like the idea of a C5 though - and you wouldn’t need to risk it in the hold - it would easily fit into hand luggage. 

Agree with this. As a frequent traveler to places where most 1st world people don't go, I don't take what I can't afford to replace. More importantly, what I take with me depends on what I want to observe. However, it is a balance between sky quality, favourite objects, and equipment available.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Shimrod said:

Have you considered a large pair of binoculars (80mm+) on a tripod as an alternative? They'd probably survive the trip in the hold a lot better than a reflector, and if you are truly dark skies even the binoculars will amaze when compared to London skies.

You might also want to check travel insurance for the level of cover if you're going to pack anything valuable in the hold.

Possibly, if you're limited to what you can take with you, bins will be best. Wouldn't be the first time that's happened for me.

39 minutes ago, PeterStudz said:

When I took a telescope on an aircraft I made what I could out of what I already had. Obviously taking my 200p Dob wasn’t going to happen but the little 4.5 inch reflector was perfectly practical to take on as cabin baggage. Plus the mount and accessories there was still room for some cloths too.

But I decided on a basic tripod over a Dob base. Where we went the ground was uneven and rocky so I simple tripod was far more practical. I just used a lightweight tripod from my old EQ1 which went into the hold. You can pick them up for peanuts. Sure, it’s wobbly but it was rarely necessary (if at all) to go over around 40x and the stunning views made up for any shakes!

And it was so dark. Eg we could easily make out the swan nebula naked eye. Through the telescope the lagoon and triffid nebula were outstanding. Especially the lagoon - I’ve never even anything like it and this thorough a small reflector. So whatever you take/do have fun and enjoy yourself.

Only other advice that I can think of is to be careful with any tools like screwdrivers or allen keys. These items are prohibited in the cabin so need to go into the hold. 

Yes, where you're heading off to determines what you'll take with you far more than what the airlines say you can take.

5 hours ago, Philip R said:

I read or heard somewhere within LHR, that baggage with ‘air tags’ are no longer permitted to placed into the aircraft baggage hold because it contains a sealed-battery.

Just did a quick google search, and the FAA and all foreign airlines now allow airtags.  Lufthansa clarified their policy in October, 2022 to allow them.  They were the lone holdout in 2022.

My AP rig is airline optimized. RedCat 51 with AM5. Although I use a smaller and commercially ready-made battery. It is over the weight limit but I carry it as a backpack and have not been stopped so far. Fits even in the overhead compartment on DHC-8

20230304_202905_HDR.thumb.jpg.d441b9d70ec8dcb962cb493b55ed256d.jpg 

20230304_203807_HDR.thumb.jpg.567707b30998200effeddcbe566a7392.jpg

IMG_20220711_103158.thumb.jpg.3722238d46e4cf18f9c07a36b891a027.jpg

My visual rig with Heritage 150 and iOptron Cube Pro also fits in the backpack.

978827460_20210806_222410_HDR(2).thumb.jpg.4d68c25bbddd71e0b1efd252e502c19b.jpg 

862714503_20210806_230146_HDR(2).thumb.jpg.c383c0f172cf10549cb4c9df50d38075.jpg

All hand luggage, nothing ever checked.

Took them both on plains, trains, buses, and car trips. 

• Like 1

Two thoughts here.

If you want to take a 150p, don’t bother with the base, take a tripod and alt az mount. This works very well, is easier to pack and puts the scope at a much more convenient height. I had a 150p until recently and NEVER used the base! As you suggest, a 130p might be easier to fit in hand luggage.

E78D7C8F-91AD-4085-998C-EE1DD05F5DC7.thumb.jpeg.904bef3ab5ed3e8dfdf2934b50426ef0.jpeg

Second thought, take a 4” frac. You have to choose carefully but I took my Tak FC100DC abroad a few times packed in an Airport Accelerator case complete with small alt az mount and it was very easy. The only thing in the hold was the tripod.

This thread shows what I managed to cram in!

I agree with others, don’t risk a scope and eyepieces in the hold, much to much to go wrong.

A C5 would be another good option, again on a simple alt az mount and tripod.

• Like 3

Find one of these, a Vixen A62SS, f8.4, weighs less than 5lb, 15"x10"x5" deep. The views are unreal with a good ep. All it needs is a simple, light but sturdy cam tripod.

IMG_4347.thumb.jpeg.31cdef6109ee419d89cbc7fd2c099445.jpeg

Edited by LDW1
  • Like 1

The only concern I would have with carry-ons would be if you board late and all the overhead bins are full, and your bag either won't fit under the seat ahead of you or you're against a bulkhead with nowhere to put a personal carryon.  In that case, I've been forced to gate check my bag.  In that case, it then goes through the regular checked bag process.  The only exception I've seen are for umbrella type strollers where they'll put them by the airplane door for you to grab for transferring to your next flight.

• Thanks 1