Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

ZWO Seestar 50

13 minutes ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

The Seestar S50 incorporates a dew heater. I mostly have used it with the heater off and it seems the unit's internal heat discourages dew formation.  Actually short of pausing it and shining a light on the lens, it is hard to judge whether any dew is accumulating.

I used my SS last nite for 4 hrs. in -17° C , Bortle 6 conditions, the battery went from 100% to 18% where it stopped working and there was no way I didn't have to use the dew heater !  Depending on the nightly weather the requirements can be different every nite out in the temperate zones of the world ! The heater is a needed asset but uses a lot more juice !

The Beehive @ 6 min last nite -17° C, Bortle 6, 10:30 pm !  Wanted to try out my new star spike maker.  And no stacking !

1707964442625.jpeg

Edited by LDW1
reduce photo size
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, borgs said:

Hi,

I'm about to purchase a Seestar S50. Interested to know how you got on with using the clear focusing filter as a protector and if you are still using it. 

Cheers.

Hello borgs and welcome to the site.

I've used it a few times now and it doesn’t affect the image at all, so in that respect it works well but it is a costly thing. As Cosmic Geof mentioned the seestar does have an integral dew heater and used in conjunction with one of these you probably don't need anything else.....

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/bahtinov-focus-masks/astro-essentials-seestar-s50-dew-shield-lens-hood.html

The clear glass filter is one of those comfort factor accessories that is likely unnecessary, but now I've got it, I will be using it. Hope it helps.

Edited by M40

The Leo Triplet @ -17° C a couple nites ago !  Bortle 6, 22 min. And no stacking !

1707968749931(1).thumb.jpeg.3a101b02b4b622bc294e5830cc23b6a0.jpeg

Edited by LDW1
reduce photo size
  • Like 4

On 15/02/2024 at 23:02, M40 said:

Hello borgs and welcome to the site.

I've used it a few times now and it doesn’t affect the image at all, so in that respect it works well but it is a costly thing. As Cosmic Geof mentioned the seestar does have an integral dew heater and used in conjunction with one of these you probably don't need anything else.....

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/bahtinov-focus-masks/astro-essentials-seestar-s50-dew-shield-lens-hood.html

The clear glass filter is one of those comfort factor accessories that is likely unnecessary, but now I've got it, I will be using it. Hope it helps.

Thanks M40, Cosmic Geoff and LDW1.

I've always been quite anxious around optical surfaces - have always put a skylight filter immediately on any SLR lens I've purchased. My anxiety was made worse when I forgot to let my Meade LX10 dry out after a session and put it away for 6 months - yes, etched mildew on the corrector plate. 😞

But I don't protect my binoculars so I think I'll do the same with the Seestar and rely on the heater - and ensure I let it dry out when I bring it back into the warmer house!

9 minutes ago, borgs said:

Thanks M40, Cosmic Geoff and LDW1.

I've always been quite anxious around optical surfaces - have always put a skylight filter immediately on any SLR lens I've purchased. My anxiety was made worse when I forgot to let my Meade LX10 dry out after a session and put it away for 6 months - yes, etched mildew on the corrector plate. 😞

But I don't protect my binoculars so I think I'll do the same with the Seestar and rely on the heater - and ensure I let it dry out when I bring it back into the warmer house!

Its just common sense as with anything subjected to a bit of moisture, that will dry out pretty fast, they are made tough by ZWO for that reason !  Moisture has been around before we were all born, lol !  PS:  The heater is built in to prevent fogging of the lenses not to prevent moisture from getting on the unit, the other nite my SS was entirely covered in white frost, no problems at all.

Edited by LDW1

Bought one yesterday from FLO.

I came to realise I don't have the time, the money, or really the inclination to learn 'classic' astrophotography & that a quick fix S50 might fulfil that itch.   Looking forward to getting going with it.

Great thread 🤙

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, GasGiant said:

Bought one yesterday from FLO.

I came to realise I don't have the time, the money, or really the inclination to learn 'classic' astrophotography & that a quick fix S50 might fulfil that itch.   Looking forward to getting going with it.

Great thread 🤙

Exactly the same conclusion I came to, and I would add we haven't had the weather here in the South West!

I think the S50 is a fantastic product.

It is limited by not being equatorial and it's fixed orientation, small camera sensor.

But I have taken more and better images in the last three months, (even with all the rubbish weather we have had) than I have had with my,  admittedly budget , conventional rig in the last two years.

The ability to see a gap in the clouds and be out there imaging within minutes is something previously only people with permanent observatories could manage.

And most importantly, it has reignited my interest in this hobby.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, WiltsStarGazer said:

Exactly the same conclusion I came to, and I would add we haven't had the weather here in the South West!

I think the S50 is a fantastic product.

It is limited by not being equatorial and it's fixed orientation, small camera sensor.

But I have taken more and better images in the last three months, (even with all the rubbish weather we have had) than I have had with my,  admittedly budget , conventional rig in the last two years.

The ability to see a gap in the clouds and be out there imaging within minutes is something previously only people with permanent observatories could manage.

And most importantly, it has reignited my interest in this hobby.

GG Like most, you sure won't regret it !  Good Luck and have fun !

Edited by LDW1
  • Like 1

Hi , I’ve decided to potentially take the plunge with a Seestar S50 but I’ve been reading some mixed reviews of their longevity in terms of enjoyment and uses - what’s everyone’s view of these  ? Are they worth a purchase or are they just a novelty with money better spent on a “proper” scope 

My own take is that it is great for the 'plant and view' type of use. Opportunistic imaging without hassle.
Easy and quick to set up on a night when cloud is expected in an hour or two.
Very portable and I will no doubt include it when travelling to distant places.

As an only scope - NO.
Not unless you want to plant it outside and view a limited range of targets (suitable for the FOV) from indoors.

Was it worth the £500+ - YES.
Do I regret the spend - NO.

I think the small number on sale used, compared to hundreds purchased, shows we have not yet worn off the novelty or found they are awful.
Unless we are too embarrassed to admit our mistakes🤣

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Beardy30 said:

Hi , I’ve decided to potentially take the plunge with a Seestar S50 but I’ve been reading some mixed reviews of their longevity in terms of enjoyment and uses - what’s everyone’s view of these  ? Are they worth a purchase or are they just a novelty with money better spent on a “proper” scope 

The SS is usually a compliment to, an extension of scope astronomy of which most already have, usually several of or for some it is the introduction to EAA a fairly new branch of astronomy ! To really appreciate it you have to or should be a lover of other aspects of this great hobby of which many have been in for decades. Its all part of the astronomy ride, you have to make the decision, there is always the resale value if you find its not for you and that has never changed !  PS :  If you haven't maybe you should do some further reading / research !

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Beardy30 said:

Where have you read the mixed reviews, I don't recall seeing / reading any, of any great length !  There will always be some abstract comments but ......

38 minutes ago, GasGiant said:

What sort of WiFi range are people experiencing?

Where I want to place the s50 is up the garden  somewhat.

Normally about 12 m but with a signal booster maybe 100 m from what they say on another site ! I usually use about 10-12 m never a problem, I have a booster but have never had to use it

1 hour ago, Beardy30 said:

No single telescope does everything. It is my only wide field telescope and has given me images that I just did not expect to ever get. I can't see me running out of suitable targets anytime soon. Value for money? The equivalent is a goto altaz mount, widefield triplet telescope, auto focus, filter, zwo asi462mc camera, asiair and dew heater. Novelty? If you have a widefield setup and enjoy processing I can see it having limited appeal, but from my perspective, processing is not for me so I consider the seestar to be an excellent device. All the best.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1