Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Lunt 60 Finally Here!

Sunshine

10 hours ago, Carbon Brush said:

Looking forward to your reports. I have the older daylight only model.

Thats the one I had about five years ago, I bought it used tilt tuned then i had it sent to Lunt for pressure tune retrofit and sold it a year later, lesson learned.

Edited by Sunshine

The new focuser looks like a big improvement from earlier models. That old GSO Crayford was ok if not too stressed, but not great under heavy loads. Also - as the base scope has moved from using a singlet objective lens to an ED doublet, I wonder if you can push the magnification higher than the old LS60 when seeing allows? I seem to remember about 60-70x was the normal before - worth trying the new scope at 90-100x on a bright prominence when you get the chance.

• Like 1

On 12/04/2023 at 05:10, Highburymark said:

The new focuser looks like a big improvement from earlier models. That old GSO Crayford was ok if not too stressed, but not great under heavy loads. Also - as the base scope has moved from using a singlet objective lens to an ED doublet, I wonder if you can push the magnification higher than the old LS60 when seeing allows? I seem to remember about 60-70x was the normal before - worth trying the new scope at 90-100x on a bright prominence when you get the chance.

Good point about trying higher power with these new ED doublets, i tried out my 5mm XO  (85x) while focusing on one particularly bright prom and even though the sun was only half an hour to setting I was impressed with the sharpness.

On 15/04/2023 at 02:15, Sunshine said:

Good point about trying higher power with these new ED doublets, i tried out my 5mm XO  (85x) while focusing on one particularly bright prom and even though the sun was only half an hour to setting I was impressed with the sharpness.

I have an XO5 too - haven’t thought about using it for solar as I mostly binoview, but I shall give it a go next time the clouds part - so around July 2030 then……

• Haha 2

Congratulations! :thumbsup:

The R&P focuser is fine on these.
Made by Feather Touch/Skylight Instruments?
The whole telescope oozes quality.
Clever, modular design provides multiple options.
Though the overall weight is quite a shock.
Lunt must be making quite a few.
Judging by the serial numbers.

• Like 1

On 17/04/2023 at 02:42, Rusted said:

Congratulations! :thumbsup:

The R&P focuser is fine on these.
Made by Feather Touch/Skylight Instruments?
The whole telescope oozes quality.
Clever, modular design provides multiple options.
Though the overall weight is quite a shock.
Lunt must be making quite a few.
Judging by the serial numbers.

Not sure who makes the focuser but it is buttery smooth and finely adjustable according to ones preferences. You are correct when it comes to the weight, it is heavy! for a relatively small scope, so much so that it is quite surprising, actually. It can double as a weapon should a thug ever break into my home lol, solid aluminum. 

Edited by Sunshine
  • Haha 1