Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Old but New person needs some advice please.

21 hours ago, SteveNickolls said:

Thanks for your post. 

There's a lot to take on board when you are new to a hobby that can go many ways.  While £4k is a lot of money it can be eaten away very quickly in this hobby, so caution. I'm sure members here will be able to give you steers where to go that you can think over.

I would raise the question of considering security for your equipment outside especially if it is positioned and viewable from a road or other property.

Cheers,

Steve

Second that and good advice - Stellina is in budget as someone mentioned and would take all the hassle away if it’s imaging you wanted to do, the scope you have chosen is brilliant but it’s a beast and the mount is not suited to Astro imaging, it’s a visual setup and I’d say get used to it first without rushing in to buy additional gear. 

• Like 3

Well done tezz, topman for decision making 👌 Now all you need is the same thing we all want, a few clear nights. Keep us up to speed, and pictures speak volumes, there is a topic in the astro lounge titled "what did the postman bring"  😉 

All the best and enjoy. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, StevieDvd said:

Did you get the model with the Celestron Starsense option, that will align/set the date & location of the mount automatically on each startup. It does need an initial setup alignment so it is facing the same sky portion as the scope.

The starsense can plug into all the Evolution and Nexstar mounts by the auxiliary port.

• Like 1

Hi all.

So. Thinking about what I have bought.

I think I have missed something out.

If I put the camera in. I won't be able to focus(not sure about this)

So what do I need to buy so I can focus with my Barlow 2x with the camera fitted as well?

Is it called a "celestron off-axis guider" or something else.

Thank you for your time.

Oh. I'm looking in to getting a observatory shed for my south facing backyard.

But they cost more than the telescope  

Don't worry about an off axis guider, I doubt you will ever need one. I think start nice and easy and go for a target thats easy to spot, that way you will at least know the telescope is pointing in the right direction. Don't use the barlow, just bolt the camera in and select the moon or jupiter or mars. Focus using your motorised focuser on your tablet or device and see what happens. You will be able to get it all talking indoors during day so youknowwhat to expectat night.

The moon will likely be very bright so a moon filter is the only thing you might want to buy at the moment.

One question, did you get the starsense with your telescope?

All the best.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, M40 said:

Don't worry about an off axis guider, I doubt you will ever need one. I think start nice and easy and go for a target thats easy to spot, that way you will at least know the telescope is pointing in the right direction. Don't use the barlow, just bolt the camera in and select the moon or jupiter or mars. Focus using your motorised focuser on your tablet or device and see what happens. You will be able to get it all talking indoors during day so youknowwhat to expectat night.

The moon will likely be very bright so a moon filter is the only thing you might want to buy at the moment.

One question, did you get the starsense with your telescope?

All the best.

I never got the Starsense. To much money  :)

But I will keep an eye on ebay for one to add later.

Thank you for your advice. Very helpful.

I have a friend coming round later to check the glass on the telescope before I assemble it.

I did find a Observatory shed. But it's £2,700. But I would have to pay to get it picked up and put together. 

• Like 1

I am sure I have seen one pop up on here from time to time, just keep your eyes open 👍

You need to add a couple more things to your shopping list. The lenses have a coating on them so normal cleaning fluids could damage them, so please don't be tempted to clean them without the proper solution. FLO sell the cleaning solutions and a little puffer thingy to blow dust off. 

• Like 1

Just to add, without the star sense you will need to polar align the telescope, I  can’t help you with your handset as I have never used one of those but someone will be able to help there. But just to speed things up a little once you have it aligned, put some marks on the floor where the tripod feet go as it will help the next time you set up.

14 minutes ago, M40 said:

Just to add, without the star sense you will need to polar align the telescope, I  can’t help you with your handset as I have never used one of those but someone will be able to help there. But just to speed things up a little once you have it aligned, put some marks on the floor where the tripod feet go as it will help the next time you set up.

This does not apply to the Nexstar Evolution (which has an alt-azimuth mount).  The new owner will have the necessary instructions in the manual.  It it sufficient to erect the telescope, roughly level the tripod and perform a star align as instructed.

Edited by Cosmic Geoff
  • Like 3

23 hours ago, tezz said:

Sorry for the late reply.

@dweller25 Hi. My friend is making a thing like a condom that will be fitted to the wall out side. So if it rains I just pull a pin and down it comes:)

@Cosmic Geoff It has wifi that connects to the sky portal app that works on my Fold and my PC.

@mikeDnight The scope will go in the bedroom in the summer were it is cool. I could put a fan in there if needed. I would like to look at the moon and about anything else. If I wanted pictures of mars ect. I would go to NASA and get one. Maybe I will find something that no one else has? 

And thank you for the other reply's. They have been very useful.

I had my Evolution 9.25 come this morning.

And I have ordered these which will be here tomorrow.

ASI 585MC I need some filters if someone knows of a place.

Celestron Universal Piggyback Mount

Celestron Dew Shield DX for C9.25 & C11

Celestron Focus Motor 

Celestron Nikon T-Ring

Celestron X-Cell LX 2x Barlow lens

If anyone can add to this I would be grateful.

Where did you buy the Celestron electric focuser? I’ve searched the UK and none were available. Thanks 

22 hours ago, StevieDvd said:

Did you get the model with the Celestron Starsense option, that will align/set the date & location of the mount automatically on each startup. It does need an initial setup alignment so it is facing the same sky portion as the scope.

I think you are getting mixed up with the GPS module - Starsense does not set date, time or location - it simply performs an automatic alignment routine.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Shimrod said:

I think you are getting mixed up with the GPS module - Starsense does not set date, time or location - it simply performs an automatic alignment routine.

Yes, I've left off the part where that is done using an app wirelessly and no handset used - it's been a while since I used an Evolution setup.

1 hour ago, bosun21 said:

Where did you buy the Celestron electric focuser? I’ve searched the UK and none were available. Thanks 

Amazon uk.

It's a US import.

I have bought a Barlow 2x and would like to use it later on.

Which  off-axis guider should I buy that includes everything I need?

Thank you

Edited by tezz

1 hour ago, tezz said:

Which  off-axis guider should I buy that includes everything I need?

I do not think you need one. They are used for guided imaging of deep-sky objects (e.g. small galaxies) with long exposures (minutes).  Your mount is not well suited to this advanced task.

Exposure times for lunar or planetary imaging are very short (milliseconds) so no guiding is needed.

Edited by Cosmic Geoff
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

I do not think you need one. They are used for guided imaging of deep-sky objects (e.g. small galaxies) with long exposures (minutes).  Your mount is not well suited to this advanced task.

Exposure times for lunar or planetary imaging are very short (milliseconds) so no guiding is needed.

Thank you.

So how would I use my Barlow 2x and camera at the same time?

I want to try everything I have bought. 

3 hours ago, tezz said:

Thank you.

I want to try everything I have bought. 

The barlow 2x is inserted into the visual back of the telescope and then the camera fits into the open end of the barlow. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tezz said:

You need to tell us what model of camera you have bought.  Otherwise we can't comment on how exactly you could use the camera and Barlow together.

Your scope has a long focal length which renders a Barlow lens less useful - for visual use the highest useful magnification can be attained without one.  Likewise if your camera has small pixels e.g. 2.9um or less, using a Barlow lens with it will confer no advantage.

4 minutes ago, Cosmic Geoff said:
4 hours ago, tezz said:

You need to tell us what model of camera you have bought.

He has bought an ASI585 MC which does have 2.9nm pixels.

Edited by bosun21
Typo
  • Like 1

You'll be imaging planets and the moon at your scopes native focal length, using the Barlow will be troublesome (not impossible) as you'll double the focal length of your telescope as well as increasing the f ratio making light gathering reduced (image will be dimmer). Using the Barlow your mounts tracking will also be tested as the object will appear to move out of fov a lot more frequently. Try with the camera only first, you may or may not need spacer rings to get the right backfocus, if it's inserted into the back of a diagonal via a cameras nosepiece adaptor likely less so.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 1

It might be worth checking the manual of your camera to see if it supports Region of Interest (ROI).

This is a common feature of astronomy cameras that allows to to select a smaller area of the sensor to capture with.

That has the effect of making the target look bigger in the resulting image at the expense of  resolution.

Capturing video and stacking the frames can counter that to some extent and it's mainly used for planets.

It's of no value for DSOs, where resolution is important. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bosun21 said:

The barlow 2x is inserted into the visual back of the telescope and then the camera fits into the open end of the barlow. 

I think I have got it now.

So either I can look through the barlow and\or put the camera in it?

If the above is true. What do I need to but to use both at the same time?

I want to try everything  :)   Sorry I am a pain.

I'm about to order the shed I posted above.

So that's another thing done.

Thank you all for your help and support.

Edited by tezz

I'll be amazed if the ASI585MC does not have ROI. Using the ROI will make the selected part of the image look bigger on the laptop screen (usually).  It does not affect the resolution but avoids wasting computer power on recording a lot of black sky if you are planet imaging.

Note that it will need an IR block filter for proper colour balance, or you can use an IR-pass filter for infrared imaging.  FLO should be able to supply the inexpensive ZWO filters for this purpose, but you need to decide how to mount them.  The 1.25" filter can screw into the camera 1.25" nosepiece if you are using that.

I actually use a manual filter wheel (q.v) so I can switch between filters easily.

You generally can't use both at the same time, but you can have both inserted into the scope and alternate between visual and camera. A flip mirror, but you need to be physically at the scope to switch the mirror from active to inactive position. I use this a lot when doing visual and want to switch to taking a few shots. You might need a 2 inch visual back connection depending on the type of flip mirror and it's connection to the scope.

I would in all seriousness, ignore the Barlow for now. Ive acquired a few of different powers over the years and rarely use them.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, tezz said:

I think I have got it now.

So either I can look through the barlow and\or put the camera in it?

If the above is true. What do I need to but to use both at the same time?

I want to try everything  :)   Sorry I am a pain.

You do not need the Barlow. But since you bought it, try it for yourself and you will see what's what. 

• Like 2