NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Old but New person needs some advice please.

18 hours ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

It looks like the correct one for your scope, but why not support a proper astronomy dealer who needs your money much more than Jeff Bezos does?

I'm not saying where.

But celestron sell it for £90 including everything.

1 hour ago, Ivor said:

@tezz, I've had a similar observatory for about 4 months now and have learnt a few things you might find useful. Hopefully I'm not too late with these snippets.

I've not completed my setup yet, so bits of the setup are rough round the edges.

• Organise the base to be as due south as possible
  • I build a raised base on composite posts partly due to the location but also so I could easily thread cables into a pier
  • I recommend you consider a pier, with a tripod the legs are going to get knocked when someone pushes the apex down
  • Make the warm room as small as you can get a way with, this moves the north apex back to give you access to more north sky for future viewing
  • You mentioned your mobilty issues, if you are moving around in the warm room and using a tripod the telescope will be on the same floor so it is likely to wobbly; another reason to consider a pier
  • The drop apex section is heavy I've tided a rope to the top of mine to help pull it up but the leverage isn't working great, I have a few ideas for easier methods which I'll explore in the summer
  • They don't include stoppers at the end of the rails so the roof can roll off and it is hard to put it back on your own 
  • The roof catches the wind and the catch provide aren't sufficent I'm using these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114664826945 & https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114018206227

Hope it helps

20230212_083358.jpg

20230212_083531.jpg

20230212_083549.jpg

20230212_083600.jpg

20230212_083605.jpg

That is an awesome setup.

I hope mine works out as good.

Thank for the advice and links.

I was after some clamps 👍

Hi all.

My shed\clubhouse should be here next week.

The problem I am having now is insuring it and the contents.

My insurance company(Swinton) will only insure upto £1,500.

I did find another company that would do it.

But under the UK law I can't have 2 insurances on 1 property.
And to ditch Swinton I have to pay £75 to terminate the policy.

So my plan of action is to sort out the shed with very good locks and smart sensors and see if anyone try's to break in.

When I get the insurance sorted, then I will setup the scope  :)

6 minutes ago, tezz said:

Hi all.

My shed\clubhouse should be here next week.

The problem I am having now is insuring it and the contents.

My insurance company(Swinton) will only insure upto £1,500.

I did find another company that would do it.

So my plan of action is to sort out the shed with very good locks and smart sensors and see if anyone try's to break in.

There are a number of threads on here about insuring equipment left in observatories. You may find this one a useful read. https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/349022-observatory-insurance/#comment-3797362

Given the amount you have spent on equipment I think not spending the £75 to change to a more comprehensive policy is a false economy. For me it would be worth it for peace of mind and to get the observatory set up earlier.

• Like 2

Since you are definately now going for a permanent set up I would second the idea of installing a permanent pier to replace the tripod. Hope I'm not being too critical  but with hindsight more versatile options may have been preferential with regards to now knowing your building an observatory, for example an eq mount on a pier may facilitate future proofing as it can be used to mount many different types of telescope. I hope you soon get to enjoy your purchases, please post some photos of your obsy build, it sounds fantastic.

15 hours ago, tezz said:

Your going to spend more than £75 on decent locks and sensors.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, bosun21 said:

Your going to spend more than £75 on decent locks and sensors.

I think that is money that is well spent regardless of changing the policy. It is much better to prevent the theft in the first place that to have the hassle and cost of an insurance claim.

We (I) seem to get so few clear nights at the moment that my thought is by the time the policy is changed and the kit set up for immediate use in the observatory @tezz will be waiting until autumn to start observing the night sky.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Shimrod said:

I think that is money that is well spent regardless of changing the policy. It is much better to prevent the theft in the first place that to have the hassle and cost of an insurance claim.

We (I) seem to get so few clear nights at the moment that my thought is by the time the policy is changed and the kit set up for immediate use in the observatory @tezz will be waiting until autumn to start observing the night sky.

Yeah, in hindsight I would personally fit the locks as well as change my policy for peace of mind. The skies?, well that’s a somewhat depressing topic atm.

Congratulations on not letting your disability get in the way for what you want too do .a fantastic work around using new technology,that 9.25 is a beast ,I have the cpc200 and it's fab . All I wish you is many happy adventures and clear skies ...ps don't put holes in your waterproof cover it may lead to telescope pregnancy 😂😂😂.

• Like 1

On 19/02/2023 at 07:55, Shimrod said:

There are a number of threads on here about insuring equipment left in observatories. You may find this one a useful read. https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/349022-observatory-insurance/#comment-3797362

Given the amount you have spent on equipment I think not spending the £75 to change to a more comprehensive policy is a false economy. For me it would be worth it for peace of mind and to get the observatory set up earlier.

They are a bad company that put excess costs on top.

And there off shore team are next to useless. 

Hi Tezz,

I've been gathering timber for some time with the intention of building a small observatory on a 'terrace' (about 4x4m) above a car port. Unfortunately, the floor of the terrace is made  of wood beams and there is a little play in it as you traverse across it. However, that's by the by. There was/is  a flip top lid, small obs, I'm also considering, however, I like  the look/idea of this one too. One of my main concerns with building either, is the noise made when opening closing the roof because I have neighbours very close by who I wouldn't wish to disturb at 2am or 3am. Can you give me an  idea  of how much noise is  produced when rolling the roof open? Would you also be able/willing to share some aspects of the build (even tho built for you), dimensions of timber used,  casters and caster  rail type etc?

Thanks.

On 19/02/2023 at 07:43, tezz said:

I firmly believe in "as well as,  not instead of" in cases like these.

The jargon is "defence in depth".

19 hours ago, Mark2022 said:

Hi Tezz,

I've been gathering timber for some time with the intention of building a small observatory on a 'terrace' (about 4x4m) above a car port. Unfortunately, the floor of the terrace is made  of wood beams and there is a little play in it as you traverse across it. However, that's by the by. There was/is  a flip top lid, small obs, I'm also considering, however, I like  the look/idea of this one too. One of my main concerns with building either, is the noise made when opening closing the roof because I have neighbours very close by who I wouldn't wish to disturb at 2am or 3am. Can you give me an  idea  of how much noise is  produced when rolling the roof open? Would you also be able/willing to share some aspects of the build (even tho built for you), dimensions of timber used,  casters and caster  rail type etc?

Thanks.

I can not hear a thing.

I did put some grease on. It only goes back 5ft.

I think the gears in the evolution will make more nose.   :)

2 hours ago, tezz said:

I can not hear a thing.

I did put some grease on. It only goes back 5ft.

I think the gears in the evolution will make more nose.   :)

Is the rail a v groove or u groove? Are the casters metal or nylon rollers? I live outside a main town and, at early  hours of the morning, you can hear a pin drop. I'm  even worried about the sound of my eQ5 pro or LX10 mount. Anyone with a window open, even 50 yards or more away, will hear the motors so just being a bit paranoid about noise level.

On 28/02/2023 at 14:39, Mark2022 said:

Is the rail a v groove or u groove? Are the casters metal or nylon rollers? I live outside a main town and, at early  hours of the morning, you can hear a pin drop. I'm  even worried about the sound of my eQ5 pro or LX10 mount. Anyone with a window open, even 50 yards or more away, will hear the motors so just being a bit paranoid about noise level.

If you look at the last picture you will see a u\v shape.

A suggestion or two on security if I may?

Do not put your security features in an obvious place. Big padlock and hasp says 'insert crowbar here'.
Alternatively it says go for the hinge side instead.

Apply lower levels of security, but have several in place so even if they defeat one, they have to spend time on the next.
That way they are more likely to leave.

My observatory looks very much like an ordinary shed with (from the outside) ordinary cheap lock and hinges.
If you took a prybar to it, you would find it didn't give way as expected.
I won't discuss the details on open forum. Suffice it to say Burglar Bill would I think give it a try, then look elsewhere.
He might damage the door, but he would not get in.

Consider fitting an alarm system based on an after market car alarm. These run for ages on a 12V battery.
Unlike house alarms they are intended to work in temperature extremes.
The decent models accept several inputs from normally closed, or normally open switches corresponding to door switches, bonnet switch, etc.
Use the switch inputs to trigger if the door is opened, or the roof is moved.
You can run a thin wire around the walls that will break if a plank gets pried off. Again using a switch input.
They also have shock and vibration sensing - car park nudge alarm. This comes into play if someone decides to hammer off the padlock or hinges.

When the alarm does go, install LOUD sounders inside the shed. Make it painful to stay.
If it is loud inside they can't hear anyone approach from outside so are likely to leave.
Big bright lights on alarm trigger are a good idea.
Do not rely on a single sounder, or a single light - site them so they are not easily disabled by a brick or hammer.

All of the above are on my observatory.

HTH, David.

• Like 1

On 01/03/2023 at 15:32, Carbon Brush said:

A suggestion or two on security if I may?

Do not put your security features in an obvious place. Big padlock and hasp says 'insert crowbar here'.
Alternatively it says go for the hinge side instead.

Apply lower levels of security, but have several in place so even if they defeat one, they have to spend time on the next.
That way they are more likely to leave.

My observatory looks very much like an ordinary shed with (from the outside) ordinary cheap lock and hinges.
If you took a prybar to it, you would find it didn't give way as expected.
I won't discuss the details on open forum. Suffice it to say Burglar Bill would I think give it a try, then look elsewhere.
He might damage the door, but he would not get in.

Consider fitting an alarm system based on an after market car alarm. These run for ages on a 12V battery.
Unlike house alarms they are intended to work in temperature extremes.
The decent models accept several inputs from normally closed, or normally open switches corresponding to door switches, bonnet switch, etc.
Use the switch inputs to trigger if the door is opened, or the roof is moved.
You can run a thin wire around the walls that will break if a plank gets pried off. Again using a switch input.
They also have shock and vibration sensing - car park nudge alarm. This comes into play if someone decides to hammer off the padlock or hinges.

When the alarm does go, install LOUD sounders inside the shed. Make it painful to stay.
If it is loud inside they can't hear anyone approach from outside so are likely to leave.
Big bright lights on alarm trigger are a good idea.
Do not rely on a single sounder, or a single light - site them so they are not easily disabled by a brick or hammer.

All of the above are on my observatory.

HTH, David.

Good advice.

I've bought a waterproof Yale lock for the first door and a Yale motion sensor.

Door 2 will have lock that's used on the back of vans.

I've secured the movable rook with locks on the inside.

Just waiting for the carriage bolts to replace every screw in each door hing.

If they get in after that. Fair play to them

• 3 weeks later...

Just a small update.

I still haven't moved things in to the clubhouse as I am waiting to hear back from Glover & Howe Insurance Services.

Hopefully it will be next week.

All locks are on and the rubber flooring is going down this weekend.

I have bought a Celestron 9.25 heater ring. I have not bought the £200+ power supply for it.

I got one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wefomey-Universal-Adjustable-Switching-100V-240V/dp/B0BLHFB32P/ref=sr_1_10?crid=JYBTN7BPW6E7&keywords=Power+Supply+DC+3V+4V+4.5V+5V+6V+7V+7.5V+8V+9V+10V+11V+12V+Adjustable+Variable+Power+Adapter+100V-240V+AC&qid=1679654443&sprefix=power+supply+dc+3v+4v+4.5v+5v+6v+7v+7.5v+8v+9v+10v+11v+12v+adjustable+variable+power+adapter+100v-240v+ac%2Caps%2C69&sr=8-10

I also bought a ZWO electric mini wheel(it was very cheap) 

Edited by tezz