Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Old but New person needs some advice please.

Just an update to the things I have added.

Sheds sheds is building me a 6FT X 10Ft one of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282153730577

I have bought 2 solar 100w panels and a BLUETTI EB3A.

This will power a small heater if needed plus red lights.

I have bought a 1.25 moon and sun filter.

Just trying to find someone to level some ground for me for cash.

16 minutes ago, tezz said:

Just an update to the things I have added.

Sheds sheds is building me a 6FT X 10Ft one of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282153730577

I have bought 2 solar 100w panels and a BLUETTI EB3A.

This will power a small heater if needed plus red lights.

I have bought a 1.25 moon and sun filter.

Just trying to find someone to level some ground for me for cash.

I admire your no-holds barred commitment to a new hobby! 

It's worth noting that the observatory you have linked to only offers 270 degree view of the sky so you might want to think carefully about orientation of the observatory in your garden  - you will want at least one of those directions to be pointing north to make alignment as easy as possible.

2 hours ago, Shimrod said:

I admire your no-holds barred commitment to a new hobby! 

It's worth noting that the observatory you have linked to only offers 270 degree view of the sky so you might want to think carefully about orientation of the observatory in your garden  - you will want at least one of those directions to be pointing north to make alignment as easy as possible.

He doesn’t need north with his alt/az Celestron Evolution 9.25” to carry out alignment.

3 hours ago, bosun21 said:

He doesn’t need north with his alt/az Celestron Evolution 9.25” to carry out alignment.

I've just had a read through of the Evolution manual and with Skyalign you don't even need to point the telescope north at the start. The comment on orientation remains valid though as placement of the observatory will block out one quarter of the sky. Might still want to consider keeping one of those visible directions north in case of a mount upgrade in the future.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shimrod said:

I've just had a read through of the Evolution manual and with Skyalign you don't even need to point the telescope north at the start. The comment on orientation remains valid though as placement of the observatory will block out one quarter of the sky. Might still want to consider keeping one of those visible directions north in case of a mount upgrade in the future.

I 100% agree with you.

1 hour ago, Shimrod said:

The comment on orientation remains valid though as placement of the observatory will block out one quarter of the sky. Might still want to consider keeping one of those visible directions north in case of a mount upgrade in the future.

Apparently the observatory section has low sides but a fixed gable end. I would be inclined to make a modification there, and make the top half of the gable end hinge down.  Nevertheless it is an improvement on the high-sided roll-off-roof designs I have seen pictured elsewhere.

22 minutes ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

Apparently the observatory section has low sides but a fixed gable end. I would be inclined to make a modification there, and make the top half of the gable end hinge down.  Nevertheless it is an improvement on the high-sided roll-off-roof designs I have seen pictured elsewhere.

If you look at the listing.

The apex one one side does go down.

So no need to mod it.

I won't be able to see north. But according to what I have read. It doesn't matter. Unless I want to see north 😅

I could, down the road get a power chair electric riser for the scope.

But I will never be able to clear the roof.

Things are progressing very quickly. Well done.

I think it wise to caution you about expectations on solar panels.
A claimed 100W panel will give 100W on a clear day, in the sahara, kept aligned to the sun.
Sorry it is the way the 'green product' sellers play specmanship with the panels.

Given UK sun, and the panels being fixed, think in terms of 5-10W per panel for a few hours except in summer when things can get better.

wishing you well with the groundworks and build.

• Like 1

My Bluetti EB3A and the Celestron focus motor has turned up   :)

I have a small heater and a fan ready for summer and winter.

I have got to get items to lock the sliding roof in place and a very good door lock.

I am going to use a wireless extender(in my bungalow) with a Lan port to go in to the clubhouse   :) 

So I think I am good to go once my shed(club house)arrives.

I do dislike like all these space rings to get back focus. The evolution  it has a 5.475 inch focus distance.

Would buying this or something like this be a better option?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Telescope-Extension-Compatible-Projection-Astrophotography/dp/B0B9BWLJGZ/ref=asc_df_B0B9BWLJGZ/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=606572198636&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13992995265074432390&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006524&hvtargid=pla-1869702456691&psc=1

16 minutes ago, tezz said:

My Bluetti EB3A and the Celestron focus motor has turned up   :)

I have a small heater and a fan ready for summer and winter.

I have got to get items to lock the sliding roof in place and a very good door lock.

I am going to use a wireless extender(in my bungalow) with a Lan port to go in to the clubhouse   :) 

So I think I am good to go once my shed(club house)arrives.

I do dislike like all these space rings to get back focus. The evolution  it has a 5.475 inch focus distance.

Would buying this or something like this be a better option?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Telescope-Extension-Compatible-Projection-Astrophotography/dp/B0B9BWLJGZ/ref=asc_df_B0B9BWLJGZ/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=606572198636&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13992995265074432390&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006524&hvtargid=pla-1869702456691&psc=1

I would use extension tubes that screw together - once you have the right combination for your spacing you won't ever change it unless you replace camera or telescope. Anything that is adjustable has the potential to be knocked out of alignment. If you decide to get a focal reducer at some point for a wider field of view the extension tube you have linked to would be too long and have to be replaced.

• Thanks 1

Back focus is irrelevant if you are imaging planets (or other small objects) or live-viewing them on a screen.  It becomes an issue if you are using a large-chip camera and want the image to be sharp right to the corners.  As it happens, the standard Celestron diagonal is about the right length to give the correct amount of back focus (it does not have to be accurate to .001 inch).   Yes, it will reverse the image L-R but you can undo that in software.   There are all sorts of other ways of providing some extension. For instance, if you buy a SCT to T-thread adaptor, you can then use T-adapter tubes to connect the adapter to your camera, which should have a T-thread on its front end. SVbony  do a kit of T-extension tubes which you can play with to get various extensions.

If you have not done so already, consider buying the Celestron f6.3 focal reducer, which will do a number of useful things for you: convert your scope to a f6.3 (faster for imaging and live-viewing), give a wider actual field of view, and IIRC provide some field flattening.

Note that I was obliged to use a diagonal along with my f6.3 reducer, otherwise the imaging train hit the base of the mount when trying to aim at high objects!

Edited by Cosmic Geoff
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

Back focus is irrelevant if you are imaging planets (or other small objects) or live-viewing them on a screen.  It becomes an issue if you are using a large-chip camera and want the image to be sharp right to the corners.  As it happens, the standard Celestron diagonal is about the right length to give the correct amount of back focus (it does not have to be accurate to .001 inch).   Yes, it will reverse the image L-R but you can undo that in software.   There are all sorts of other ways of providing some extension. For instance, if you buy a SCT to T-thread adaptor, you can then use T-adapter tubes to connect the adapter to your camera, which should have a T-thread on its front end. SVbony  do a kit of T-extension tubes which you can play with to get various extensions.

If you have not done so already, consider buying the Celestron f6.3 focal reducer, which will do a number of useful things for you: convert your scope to a f6.3 (faster for imaging and live-viewing), give a wider actual field of view, and IIRC provide some field flattening.

Note that I was obliged to use a diagonal along with my f6.3 reducer, otherwise the imaging train hit the base of the mount when trying to aim at high objects!

Thank you.

I never knew things will be out of wack like left to right.

Is there anything I can buy to this right?

Celestron f6.3 focal reducer. I will have to do some reading in this.

But I will go and price it up.

Is this it?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Celestron-Field-Lens-Corrector-Reducer/dp/B00009XVHZ/ref=asc_df_B00009XVHZ/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309904628344&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3482787380875555236&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006524&hvtargid=pla-404336624377&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

Edited by tezz

22 minutes ago, tezz said:

Thank you.

I never knew things will be out of wack like left to right.

Is there anything I can buy to this right?

Celestron f6.3 focal reducer. I will have to do some reading in this.

But I will go and price it up.

Is this it?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Celestron-Field-Lens-Corrector-Reducer/dp/B00009XVHZ/ref=asc_df_B00009XVHZ/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309904628344&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3482787380875555236&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006524&hvtargid=pla-404336624377&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

You've bought the Evolution 9.25 which comes with Edge (HD) optics. From the Celestron range you will need to get the matching Edge reducer which is a little more expensive:  https://www.firstlightoptics.com/reducersflatteners/celestron-reducer-lens-7x-for-edgehd-925.html Celestron specifically say the standard reducer (that you have linked above) is not suitable.

Others may be able to comment on whether any of the third party reducers may be effective.

Whether something is left to right or even upside down doesn't really matter from a viewing perspective in astronomical terms - as long as you remember which way you need to slew the telescope to centre an object! If you decide to follow the suggestion above of using a diagonal to get the required back focus for your camera, you could look at one that contains a correcting prism - some will correct up/down but leave left-right reversed, others containing an Amici prism will give a completely corrected view

20 minutes ago, Shimrod said:

You've bought the Evolution 9.25 which comes with Edge (HD) optics. From the Celestron range you will need to get the matching Edge reducer which is a little more expensive:  https://www.firstlightoptics.com/reducersflatteners/celestron-reducer-lens-7x-for-edgehd-925.html Celestron specifically say the standard reducer (that you have linked above) is not suitable.

Others may be able to comment on whether any of the third party reducers may be effective.

Whether something is left to right or even upside down doesn't really matter from a viewing perspective in astronomical terms - as long as you remember which way you need to slew the telescope to centre an object! If you decide to follow the suggestion above of using a diagonal to get the required back focus for your camera, you could look at one that contains a correcting prism - some will correct up/down but leave left-right reversed, others containing an Amici prism will give a completely corrected view

Hi.

My evolution 9.25 is not the edge version.

So is my link the right one.

It's the cheapest I've found 

5 hours ago, tezz said:

Hi.

My evolution 9.25 is not the edge version.

So is my link the right one.

It's the cheapest I've found 

Apologies, I should I have read back through the thread - I thought you had mentioned the Edge version in your early posts.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

It looks like the correct one for your scope, but why not support a proper astronomy dealer who needs your money much more than Jeff Bezos does?

Because Celestron was selling it cheaper.

And if celestron can sell it at that price.

Then should be able to sell it to shops cheaper.

2 hours ago, tezz said:

Because Celestron was selling it cheaper.

And if celestron can sell it at that price.

Then should be able to sell it to shops cheaper.

Amazon have the buying power to lean on suppliers for a lower wholesale price. They allegedly underpay and overwork their workers and pay little British business tax.  If you have a problem, do you think Amazon will deal with it effectively?  And do you think they will continue to sell astro kit at those low prices once they have put FLO, Tring Astro, etc out of business?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

Amazon have the buying power to lean on suppliers for a lower wholesale price. They allegedly underpay and overwork their workers and pay little British business tax.  If you have a problem, do you think Amazon will deal with it effectively?  And do you think they will continue to sell astro kit at those low prices once they have put FLO, Tring Astro, etc out of business?

I don't really want to derail this thread, but I think you are being a bit unfair in your attack on Tezz. I used to have two or three local shops I could visit to view telescopes and accessories - they've all gone. Companies like Amazon AND First Light Optics operate from warehouses with no physical shops. They benefit from lower rates compared to shops and carry a different set of costs. It's not too difficult to argue that FLO have contributed to the decline of the physical astro shop but the reality is we all like to get the best value for money - and for most people that means foregoing the personal local service and shopping on line. 

For reference, when I got back into astronomy about fours years ago, I drove 230 miles to Tring because I wanted to see and discuss telescope options, most of my spending since has been with FLO but I've also bought astro kit from Amazon when the price difference has been significant. I've also foiund Amazon (and FLO's ) customer service to be excellent.

• Like 2

@tezz, I've had a similar observatory for about 4 months now and have learnt a few things you might find useful. Hopefully I'm not too late with these snippets.

I've not completed my setup yet, so bits of the setup are rough round the edges.

• Organise the base to be as due south as possible
  • I build a raised base on composite posts partly due to the location but also so I could easily thread cables into a pier
  • I recommend you consider a pier, with a tripod the legs are going to get knocked when someone pushes the apex down
  • Make the warm room as small as you can get a way with, this moves the north apex back to give you access to more north sky for future viewing
  • You mentioned your mobilty issues, if you are moving around in the warm room and using a tripod the telescope will be on the same floor so it is likely to wobbly; another reason to consider a pier
  • The drop apex section is heavy I've tided a rope to the top of mine to help pull it up but the leverage isn't working great, I have a few ideas for easier methods which I'll explore in the summer
  • They don't include stoppers at the end of the rails so the roof can roll off and it is hard to put it back on your own 
  • The roof catches the wind and the catch provide aren't sufficent I'm using these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114664826945 & https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114018206227

Hope it helps

20230212_083358.jpg

20230212_083531.jpg

20230212_083549.jpg

20230212_083600.jpg

20230212_083605.jpg

• Like 1