NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Someone SLAP ME!

It's been weeks that I have been obsessing over a larger refractor, reflector, refractioner! something to buy just because I have the money in my pocket constantly tormenting me!. Making it seem like I should not be happy with what I have, robbing me of sleep time as I pondered. It is horrible, my wife would be calling my attention and I would have the thousand yard stare, lost in thought. I've had it with this disease which makes me want bigger and better so i decided gather myself and allow myself to realize that my refractor is perfectly good for my lifestyle and so too is my dob. In that moment of soul searching I realized how much I miss H-alpha and how I regret having stupidly  sold my Lunt60 for a large dob which I barely touched because it was so big. You may be able to guess where I am going with this, I put the deposit down for a Lunt60PT, It will complete my astro yearnings to have a refractor for doubles, a dob for fuzzies, and a Lunt for solar, the trifecta. If I ever contact any of you again, Inquiring about this or that reflector/refractor please slap me, give it your best and I'll turn the other cheek. It feels as though a huge weight has been lifted from my conscious, I can sleep tonight, Aww who am I kidding?! they tell me it will be three months for delivery, OH GOD! now I wait in agony!.

Edited by Sunshine
  • Like 2
  • Haha 7

52 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

It's been weeks that I have been obsessing over a larger refractor, reflector, refractioner! something to buy just because I have the money in my pocket constantly tormenting me!. Making it seem like I should not be happy with what I have, robbing me of sleep time as I pondered. It is horrible, my wife would be calling my attention and I would have the thousand yard stare, lost in thought. I've had it with this disease which makes me want bigger and better so i decided gather myself and allow myself to realize that my refractor is perfectly good for my lifestyle and so too is my dob. In that moment of soul searching I realized how much I miss H-alpha and how I regret having stupidly  sold my Lunt60 for a large dob which I barely touched because it was so big. You may be able to guess where I am going with this, I put the deposit down for a Lunt60PT, It will complete my astro yearnings to have a refractor for doubles, a dob for fuzzies, and a Lunt for solar, the trifecta. If I ever contact any of you again, Inquiring about this or that reflector/refractor please slap me, give it your best and I'll turn the other cheek. It feels as though a huge weight has been lifted from my conscious, I can sleep tonight, Aww who am I kidding?! they tell me it will be three months for delivery, OH GOD! now I wait in agony!.

Ahh good, it's not just me then 🤪

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think the Internet has a lot to answer for on this point, in any hobby these days it's easy to get drawn into constantly wanting more gear. There's nothing wrong with that per se and I've had the same experience sometimes where you end up obsessed with a thing or agonising over a decision. 

Now in all my hobbies except for astronomy I avoid the gear acquisition thing like the plague, it's just too late for me to avoid it in this hobby.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Nigella Bryant said:

I've been looking at 200mm refractors for solar, lol but I think my next refractor for solar will be a 150mm, lol. 

I blame not sleeping at night sometimes, lol. Sunshine, why not the 100mm double stack lunt? 

Snap! I’m in the process of getting a 150mm PST mod sorted out with Mr Drew! 👍👍

@Sunshine I think we are all as bad! Hopeless collectors of scopes and always feeling the need for more.

I agree with you though, there is a kind of relaxation that happens when you trim down the kit and focus on a fixed set for certain tasks. If I HAD to only keep one scope it would be my FC100DC, I could be very happy with that, although now I’m using the 16” I see the benefits of aperture and and and 😱😱🤪🤪🤣🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Nigella Bryant said:

Sunshine, why not the 100mm double stack lunt? 

Oh sure! I'll get the double smack from my wife which will have me seeing stars alright!

100mm double stack= 100 double smacks!

Edited by Sunshine
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Sunshine said:

If you're like me, and find it hard to sell stuff, then buying a new scope is a big deal, even if you can afford it. By adding yet another scope to the collection there's always the risk it will make your observing less enjoyable by making it more complicated. A dedicated solar scope sounds like a fine plan though and a nice complement to your night time arsenal. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RobertI said:

If you're like me, and find it hard to sell stuff, then buying a new scope is a big deal, even if you can afford it. By adding yet another scope to the collection there's always the risk it will make your observing less enjoyable by making it more complicated. A dedicated solar scope sounds like a fine plan though and a nice complement to your night time arsenal. 

Agreed, I don’t necessarily want a lot, but I would like versatility, I think a 4” refractor, an 8” dob, and a solar scope makes for a well rounded collection. This reminds me, some years ago I made a post detailing my ultimate collection I would like, it included…

TSA-120, 12” obsession dob, and an 80mm Lunt. It looks like it will be a TSA-102, 8” starsense dob, 60mm Lunt 😂

close enough.

Edited by Sunshine
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

TSA-120, 12” obsession dob, and an 80mm Lunt. It looks like it will be a TSA-102, 8” starsense dob, 60mm Lunt 😂

LOL, yes the 12” might be your Obsession but the 8” makes more (star) sense. 🤭

• Haha 1