NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hi from Brazil

mauriciofleming

Hello!

Although I've already posted some threads before, I thought I might as well come here and introduce myself properly.

My name is Mauricio, I'm 27 years old and live in Sao Paulo, Brazil.

I was always fascinated with the sky and universe, but never really went for it. A few months ago me and my girlfriend went to the Sao Paulo planetarium. I was nice (even with some really anoying spoiled kids), and after the screening they announced some courses they offer in the planetarium. I signed for the "night sky reconnaissance" course.

I started to reseach eagerly on astronomy and telescopes, and became very anxious to buy my first scope. Then a friend of mine went to Amsterdam, and I asked her to bring me one, because it's much MUCH cheaper in Europe than in Brazil.

After long consideration I choose a Skywatcher Mak 127mm.

Since then I was able to see the Orion Nebula, Saturn (breathtaking!) and the Moon, but the weather ins't helping at all! Since I got my hands on the telescope (a month ago), I think we got 2 or 3 nights of clear sky here! That's frustrating!

Next month I'm traveling to the country and I'll take my telescope with me, I think it will be amazing. Can't wait.

Anyway, I'm learning a lot from you guys!

Cheers

Thanks, guys!

Yes, Sao Paulo really has too much light pollution, Mick... Our sky is never black, more like purple.

But in the country it's amazing, and I don't have to travel a lot, one hour by car is enough.

But the place I'm going next month it's even better, it's 4 hours from Sao Paulo, and it's much higher. The altitude here is around 600 meters, and where I'm going it's 1200 meters.

The only thing that can ruin my plans is the weather, since the autumn here is quite wet.

It's great people reassuring me about the Skywatcher Mak 127mm, because it was so hard to choose one!

Actually I kinda wish I bought a bigger one, maybe newtonian reflector. I chose the maksutov because it's easy to carry around. But then again, when I bought the equatorian tripod, I realized it was all in vain. It's huge and heavy!

That's ok, we always want our scope to be great in all areas and aspects, but that's impossible.

Cheers

Hello Mauricio, and welcome to SGL.The 127 is a very useful instrument, and it will give you a lot of great views of many objects.

It will be great for you to get away from the poor seeing where you live, and get away to the darker skies, to see many of the superb sights in the night skies.

Best Wishes.

Ron.;)

Hello Mauricio and welcome!

I know San Paulo, have some good friends there, and also know how light polluted it is....to see anything at all from there is a great achievement.

I was just there last month and will let you know the next time I'm over.

Cheers

Rob

Thanks again!

Nice you know Sao Paulo, Rob!

Unfortunatelly, it's a goddamn ugly city, but there are some beautiful spots, like the Paulista Avenue, the Ibirapuera Park (it's our Central Park, or our Hide Park!), the Municipal Theater, the Ipiranga Museum and others...

Do you know other amateur astronomers here?

I didn't find any yet (I didn't really look for them...)

Next time let me know!

The only problem is that my english conversation is rubbish!

Writing is much easier, I have time to think.

About the light pollution, seeing the planets won't be a problem, I suppose, but deep sky objects will be tricky.

Spoting M42 was such a lucky strike! It was actually the second thing I found with my telescope!

It was the first clear night after I got the scope, and it was right after my first class of the Night Sky Reconnaissance course. The taught us how to spot the Orion Constelation and maybe 3 or 4 others. When I got home , I mounted my telescope inside my room and pointed it to the window, through the bars (yes, we have bars on the window here to prevent people breaking into our houses, sadly). Guess what was right in front of me? The Orion constelation.

So I got my star chart, and noticed there was a nebula inside the constelation (I didn't even know what was the Orion nebula), poited the telescope first to the orion belt, then roughly to where I thought M42 would be, and there it was! It was so cool!

Cheers!

Hello Mauricio.

Unfortunately I don't know any other astronomers in SP.

Most people I know are in the music business, and one of my best friends there is in the SP police force....really nice guy but I wouldn't like him as an enemy ;)

Don't worry about your conversational English....I used to teach English as a foriegn language.

Yes, it is a sad case that most of the windows in SP have bars on them, and I've never seen so much graffitti, but I have met many good people there, and England can be pretty bad in certain areas too.

I will let you know next time I'm coming over.

Enjoy getting your scope out into the country....you will be amazed!

Cheers

Rob

Have you ever been to the Sao Paulo Planetarium, Rob? (or to the Ibirapuera Park, for that matter?)

It is quite old, it's the first planetarium in Latin America. It was open in 1957, but it was closed for the last 7 years, while they renovated it. They say it's a state of the art planetarium now.

The park should be a good place to urban obsevation too.

Archived