Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Help! Allen key broke inside my ra tension rings screw

I think i messed up badly. I was tuning my neq3's ra axis( same as the eqm35 tension ring when you unscrew the polar scope) and i was just messing around trying to find the sweet spot but i messed up and wanted to restart, so i tightened the ring using an allen key, i was holding the ring in place by using a 1.5mm inside one of the rings screw, so i can tighten the ra by spinning it counterclockwise. And i have overdone it and the allen key broke inside the rings screw. I dont know how to get  the broken allen key out. Any help would be awesome, thank you.

you stand a good chance if you put a strong magnet on the allen key that broke then try to match it up with the broken piece and try pulling directly out. Not definite as obviously if the screw is ferrous that will also become magnetic.
Its a small allen key that wont help but often if you can place the mount so the screw head is facing down then poke at it with something very sharp and try to push the broken bit in the opposite direction to when you were tightening the screw it may just fall out. If you understand all that.

Steve 

Edited by teoria_del_big_bang

14 minutes ago, RazvansAstrophotography said:

I cant replace the screw because i cant access it because of the broken allen key bit

the screw was loose though wasn't it? Should be able to get it out with a small flat screw driver or something pokey if it was loose

Mark

19 minutes ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

you stand a good chance if you put a strong magnet on the allen key that broke then try to match it up with the broken piece and try pulling directly out. Not definite as obviously if the screw is ferrous that will also become magnetic.
Its a small allen key that wont help but often if you can place the mount so the screw head is facing down then poke at it with something very sharp and try to push the broken bit in the opposite direction to when you were tightening the screw it may just fall out. If you understand all that.

Steve 

Thought about some sharp object and flipping the ra upside down and giving it some slaps😅, if that doesnt work then ill go with some sharp object or a screwdriver. Ive got a magnet but i dont think its powerful enough. Gonna try tommorow and keep you guys updated. Clear skies!

-Razvan

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, RazvansAstrophotography said:

I cant replace the screw because i cant access it because of the broken allen key bit

Depending on the type of screw you can get them out otherways (unless a grub screw maybe) thats why I asked for a picture of it.

Steve

Just had another thought you could get a can of WD40 with the long straw like spout in the nozzle and carefully give it a quick squirt the fluid may go behind the broken bit and it might fly out ????? Maybe ?
Even better is if you have a compresser and use an air line (carefully) that can blow it out if you are lucky.

Steve

6 minutes ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

Just had another thought you could get a can of WD40 with the long straw like spout in the nozzle and carefully give it a quick squirt the fluid may go behind the broken bit and it might fly out ????? Maybe ?
Even better is if you have a compresser and use an air line (carefully) that can blow it out if you are lucky.

Steve

Good idea!

• Like 1

Removing the allen key remnant is the best first move. If it fails....
I'm guessing it was a soft allen key. Not really hard tool steel.
If so, buy some left hand drill bits.
As you start to drill (counterclockwise) the screw in the mount will probably start to remove itself.
Leaving you to source a new grub screw.

1 hour ago, Carbon Brush said:

Removing the allen key remnant is the best first move. If it fails....
I'm guessing it was a soft allen key. Not really hard tool steel.
If so, buy some left hand drill bits.
As you start to drill (counterclockwise) the screw in the mount will probably start to remove itself.
Leaving you to source a new grub screw.

Probably obvious, but with a left hand helix drill, don't forget to run the drill in reverse! 🙃

Also (to the OP) buy some good quality hexagon (Allen) keys, to go with the new grub screw.

• Like 1

Good luck with trying to drill into the end of an at least reasonably hardened 1.5mm Allen key.  The face may be sloping and no easy way to produce a centre punch spot.  Could end up with a broken drill bit sharing the space with the key.    😧 

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Peter Drew said:

Good luck with trying to drill into the end of an at least reasonably hardened 1.5mm Allen key.  The face may be sloping and no easy way to produce a centre punch spot.  Could end up with a broken drill bit sharing the space with the key.    😧 

If the hexagon key is hardened, one wonders why it broke. The best guess is that the tool is made from Chinese monkey metal of some sort, not good quality steel, so will probably drill OK.

If it is hardened, then spark eroder is the way to go, if you have one to hand!