Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

South Wales Astronomy Group (SWAG) Star Party 2023

Freff

26 minutes ago, mistuk said:

Hi all - sorry to gatecrash! I’ve seen Justyn comment on this event on FB - I’ve only ever been to Astrocamp before and know Justyn from there - could I have some more info about it? Are there visual observers as well as imagers, and could you let me know about any additional costs over and above the camp fees?

Many thanks

Kevin

Hi, I've been to one SWAG event at Pencelli a couple of years ago and I was a pure visual observer, and so were the 3 guys there with large Newtons. I used a 12" Meade SCT on EQ6-R and the view of M1 Crab Nebula from Pencelli was particularly good, despite the level of Light Pollution from Brecon, maybe I had a particularly transparent night. If this year's event didn't co-incide with another event that I am already booked for, I would have attended. We put black bags over the camp lights and switched off the floodlight that lit up the tree, then the view was good.

Regards,

Alistair G.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, mistuk said:

Hi all - sorry to gatecrash! I’ve seen Justyn comment on this event on FB - I’ve only ever been to Astrocamp before and know Justyn from there - could I have some more info about it? Are there visual observers as well as imagers, and could you let me know about any additional costs over and above the camp fees?

Many thanks

Kevin

Hi Kevin.

The SWAG star party is a relatively small event with about 15- 20 average on a good turnout. 

We have a wide range of interest from those with vast experience and sophisticated equipment, to those how just use binoculars and chat. All contribute in one way or another and are more than welcome.

There are no additional costs to the normal site fees. 

• 2 weeks later...

Kev

Look forward to meeting you. I am planning on bringing an 8 inch with a dob platform.

Leo, coma, Virgo and Bootes are well placed.

Should get a good view of the Sombrero galaxy if we get a break in the clouds.

Mark

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, mdstuart said:

Kev

Look forward to meeting you. I am planning on bringing an 8 inch with a dob platform.

Leo, coma, Virgo and Bootes are well placed.

Should get a good view of the Sombrero galaxy if we get a break in the clouds.

Mark

Fantastic. Let’s hope for some clear skies!

Anyone planning on go to "The Royal Oak" on the Friday night for some food? If there's already a plan / table booked can I be a +1 - if not, anyone else fancy getting some food? I'm happy to make a booking...

I think they now have a minimum number sitting of 6 persons. The person booking has to leave credit card details in case of cancellations etc.

This is because other groups, (not ours) but hikers, canoeist have not turned up and left the landlord under booked. 

Last year we were told that a table for 12 was  booked and they never arrived. On the strength that booking the landlord turned away other bookings. 

Their policy may have changed since then, so best check with them first.

Depending on the skies, my wife an I will probably be there on Friday evening. 🍺🍺🍺👍

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mistuk said:

Anyone planning on go to "The Royal Oak" on the Friday night for some food? If there's already a plan / table booked can I be a +1 - if not, anyone else fancy getting some food? I'm happy to make a booking...

I'm up for that...😛

21 minutes ago, cajen2 said:

I'm also bringing an 8" dob, but I'm having trouble getting the collimation right.....any assistance gratefully received!

I’m not happy with the collimation on mine either. Let’s hope @mdstuart is a collimation master! 🙂

Hi Tony & All,

We still haven't found a motorhome so won't be staying at Pencelli, we plan to come and visit on Saturday (get the good coffee on Tony). 

Will come & have a chat.

Mick & Jill.

39 minutes ago, mdstuart said:

I will bring my laser collimator and the pain of years of collimation with me.

Mark

You are a star, sir. My laser is quite well centred but the collimation is still out...

1 hour ago, mistuk said:

I’ll be in a dark blue VW transporter and should be getting there about 1530 / 1600 on Friday. Come over and say hi if you see me

And I'll be in a white Renault Trafic, likewise.

Probably get there before you.

5 hours ago, mdstuart said:

We can always just wander down and take our chances :)

If there is an issue I can get a  takeaway from Brecon.

Mark

The booking policy, if still in place, only applies to large numbers.

You can still book a table in the normal way. 

I booked yesterday for the Friday we are there. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MickD said:

Hi Tony & All,

We still haven't found a motorhome so won't be staying at Pencelli, we plan to come and visit on Saturday (get the good coffee on Tony). 

Will come & have a chat.

Mick & Jill.

We are looking forward to it. :hello2: