Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Gorleston-on-sea

I spent the Christmas weekend in Gorleston-on-sea, a place that I will always have a soft spot for because it was where all of my child hood holidays were. I had a clear night on the Friday when we arrived so I thought it would be nice to capture Orion over the beach. The data took some hammering because of the lack of calibration frames and light pollution from inland but I'm pleased with the result and it was nice to have Mars in frame too.

Fuji XT-2, Fuji 16-55mm f2.8 lens

SW Star Adventure

40mins of 90 sec exposures at f2.8 iso 800 - stacked in DSS and processed in Photoshop.

GorlestonOrionjpeg.jpg

Edited by Rustang
  • Like 24

22 minutes ago, Rustang said:

I spent the Christmas weekend in Gorleston-on-sea, a place that I will always have a soft spot for because it was where all of my child hood holidays were. I had a clear night on the Friday when we arrived so I thought it would be nice to capture Orion over the beach. The data took some hammering because of the lack of calibration frames and light pollution from inland but I'm pleased with the result and it was nice to have Mars in frame too.

Fuji XT-2, Fuji 16-55mm f2.8 lens

SW Star Adventure

40mins of 90 sec exposures at f2.8 iso 800 - stacked in DSS and processed in Photoshop.

GorlestonOrionjpeg.jpg

Nice Pic Rustang.

I do a lot of sea fishing from the Gorleston Pier.

I spent a week at Caister beach in a static Caravan overlooking the sea last week of October, and I took my Orion Monster Parallelogram Mount and Giant view 25x100 Bino's and one night I viewed Orion Nebula over the sea/beach there, it was marvellous, also had a weeks sea fishing during the day.

Edited by Mick H
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, FenlandPaul said:

Super pic, Rustang. Love the way you've brought out Barnard's Loop and the California nebula and a great composition.

Thanks Paul 👍 I didn't think I was going to be able to bring out much at all because the data didn't look great to start with, mostly due to the light pollution but after some gentle hammering I managed to make something of it.

Edited by Rustang
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Rustang said:

Thanks Paul 👍 I didn't think I was going to be able to bring out much at all because the data didn't look great to start with, mostly due to the light pollution but after some gentle hammering I managed to make something of it.

That part of the East coast is surprisingly blighted by light. When I was up at Happisburgh the GY / Lowestoft light done was really hard to deal with. You were in the middle of that but you’ve really managed to bring out the detail. 👏👏

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Rustang said:

gentle hammering

🤣

Yeah- got to take my hat off to the processing here. It cannot have been easy, but to my eyes you've struck a really nice balance between bringing out the detail and retaining a natural look. Really nice image.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Whistlin Bob said:

🤣

Yeah- got to take my hat off to the processing here. It cannot have been easy, but to my eyes you've struck a really nice balance between bringing out the detail and retaining a natural look. Really nice image.

Thanks 😊