NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Theft prevention

Hello everyone,

I usually set up my rig in the garden, right outside my window.

I have recently started using a laptop, but I tend to keep it between my blinds and the actual window, so that should be pretty safe.

I cannot say the same about my camera and mount, though...

While I have never been that scared of theft, recently there's a group of thieves going around and stealing from medium to big-sized homes, and my house fits the bill perfectly.

Does anyone here use any theft prevention methods?

I was maybe thinking of buying a scooter alarm, but I'm not sure how much help that would be...

I don't think it's an easy post to answer as it depends on the low life breaking in.  If they are kids or opportunist then yes having bright lights and an alarm going off may deter them, but if they are seasoned criminals then they may be carrying a weapon and not afraid to use it if confronted, so even if you are not leaving the rig unattended you could find yourself in a really sticky situation.  In such a situation it's better to let them take the rig than get involved, your rig is replaceable, you are not.

It may well be you are becoming a little paranoid and the odds of them breaking in whilst the home is occupied are very slim...  

• Like 1

If your tripod is chained to the ground, or the house, they won't get far. Unless they start separating mount from tripod, etc.
A tool, like an allen key being needed to unsten the chain from the tripod.

Again if you are really bothered, replace thumb screws on dovetails, eyepeice tubes, etc by allen head screws.
A useful mod on anything for outreach😏. People can turn what they think is a focus adjustment and something falls to the floor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Making the job of thieves unacceptably lengthy and risky or uncomfortable is about the best you can do. Use very bright strobe lights and loud shrieking alarms which irritate them. Chains and padlocks can be cut in under a second with bolt croppers, so will do little to deter, but perhaps enough of them will make thieves feel less inclined to bother with your kit. Bolting everything down solid with secuity fixings would perhaps be a good idea. Remember, professional criminals will have set themslves a time limit (usually under ten minutes) and will almost certainly be armed, probably with crowbars or sledge hammers.

Find out what they've been stealing.  Generally around here, they've been smashing car windows to steal laptops, phones or guns left in cars parked outside.  They don't generally bother with backyards or sheds because there's generally nothing of small and high value there unless they know it's the home of a contractor with lots of high dollar tools stored outside.  Generally, though, these are in a trailer, and they'll cut the hitch lock, hook it up to their own pickup, and tow the whole thing away.  They don't generally break into houses given the high gun ownership rate in Texas, and the court proven Castle Doctrine to shoot to kill to protect one's abode.

I'm thinking they might steal an open case of eyepieces thinking they're camera lenses, and perhaps a cased small refractor thinking it's a professional camera lens used for sports photography.  I doubt they would take the time or effort to grab an entire imaging rig setup outside just due to its ungainliness.  They might steal a laptop nearby yanking it free of any attached cables and cords.  Think like a criminal.  They want to be in and out in under 30 seconds, and they want stuff that can be easily fenced.

Edited by Louis D

20220809_165759.thumb.jpg.4d880065ac1d2ca687654b4319d0f3b0.jpgI have Nest cams to keep an eye out and they send me a alert if anyone is in view or something makes a noise.  I have front and back gardens covered.  Well worth the 125 pound for an outdoor cam. 

If I'm outside early hours etc my 8st American Akita is with me, god help intruders 🤣

Edited by Mart29
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Mart29 said:

20220809_165759.thumb.jpg.4d880065ac1d2ca687654b4319d0f3b0.jpgI have Nest cams to keep an eye out and they send me a alert if anyone is in view or something makes a noise.  I have front and back gardens covered.  Well worth the 125 pound for an outdoor cam. 

If I'm outside early hours etc my 8st American Akita is with me, god help intruders 🤣

I have a cat, she's small but pack's a punch, lol. 

IMG_20221219_142109.jpg

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

Slightly off topic. The comments from @Louis D have to worth a mention for our non UK readers.

In the UK gun ownership is very low. Further, licence holders are subject to very stringent regulations.
I don't know all the rules. But leaving your gun in a car without very good reason would I'm sure lead to losing your firearms licence.
In the UK the Castle Doctrine is not so clear. As we don't (usually) suffer intruders with firearms, we are not expected to respond in this manner.

The in and out 30 seconds is a guide only. If they are comforatable (not noticed) they will stay.
I know from experience that once something happens to raise the alarm, they drop anything heavy and make Hussein Bolt look slow.
I have (several times) seen items abandoned a short distance from the property because the lights and sirens have triggered.

Going back to the OP question. Dropping a mount, scope, etc does of course mean likely damage. Perhaps better to screw it down.

I think the best precaution is to not leave it unattended in the first place. I know it's not practical to sit with it constantly, especially during a long and cold night, but if you're leaving potentially thousands of pounds of equipment in a free state to be able to be lifted and moved away by hand you're practically leaving it out to be taken. They could even look at it and knock it over or damage it out of spite rather than taking it.

As others have mentioned try to find ways to lock it all down. Make sure you have home security installed including IR lights and cameras if needed and try to stay awake during the session. Even if you manage to record a theft it's likely local enforcement will not do anything productive with it.

I have never been concerned about theft I run my rig in my back garden unattended and even my side gate is see through and unlocked to my knowledge no one has ever come round the back. I think in this day an age with the rise in better cameras it’s putting these idiots off. Having said all that though I touch wood! I think what the group have said are great shouts. The ring system you can setup to notify your phone on motion the night vision is great if you are worried I would definitely use one of them I think there about £85 off Amazon for a wireless one. Works wonders when meridian flipping too and you don’t need to get out of bed…

I mean worst case scenario I would just claim off my house insurance and get myself brand new stuff. 

Edited by Simon Pepper

As others have said, it depends on the thieves. Drug addicts or kids looking for some quick cash will be in and out quickly and only steal stuff that is easily fenced, and will probably flee if spooked by lights and sirens. But if it is as gang of pro thieves - then maybe not. And they might be more likely tho steal the expensive stuff (imaging setup) in addition to the cheap stuff (pc).

After this incident I never leave my gear unattended for long periods, and sadly it kind of ruined the hobby for me.

Hi this may sound strange but when I used to night fish my bite alarms used to have a kit alarm which was a small box with heat sensor and motion sensor so if any one came to towards your fishing barrow with all the kit on it ,it would sound the alarm on the receiver unit so may be worth a look at 

• Like 1

IMHO the only thing you achieve with security cameras/cctv is to be able watch the theft afterwards.  Probably not likely to scare anyone off. And there is no guarantee that the police have the resources to follow up on a camera recording.

19 minutes ago, Neil H said:

Hi this may sound strange but when I used to night fish my bite alarms used to have a kit alarm which was a small box with heat sensor and motion sensor so if any one came to towards your fishing barrow with all the kit on it ,it would sound the alarm on the receiver unit so may be worth a look at 

Actually a good idea, or some sort of PIR detector/alarm (bar the wildlife which will set them off).

I have PIR detectors in both observatories but it easier to do in an obsy. I've also cameras on both.. 

Many years ago thieves broke into my RoR and stoll my 12inch meade GPS. Must have had a van. It was while we were away. Now I store everything in the house when I go away and put back in when I'm back.. It was never recovered but thankfully I was insured. 

On that note, watch house contents insurance sometimes item's need to be specifically mentioned. All my expensive item's are itemised on the insurance. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Neil H said:

A false alarm must be better than gear nicked 

I had one only the day before yesterday. The PIR detected movement in the RoR, thankfully it was 7.50am and not the middle of the night. I've polystyrene glued to the inside of the warm room that had come unstuck and triggered and alarm, lol. Least it works I thought and it wasn't in the middle of the night, lol. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Viktiste said:

IMHO the only thing you achieve with security cameras/cctv is to be able watch the theft afterwards.  Probably not likely to scare anyone off. And there is no guarantee that the police have the resources to follow up on a camera recording.

Not true, my nest cameras call my phone or text if anyone is spotted and the quality is that good they can be used in UK courtrooms as evidence attached is my current view . They pick up audio perfectly and have a two way speaker and can zoom right in. Perfect for keeping an eyeout from inside 🙃Screenshot_20221223_180403_Nest.thumb.jpg.f94b7e35c68cd07e6441ee324dc51938.jpg

Edited by Mart29
  • Like 1

They are after kit that is easy to remove, carry and importantly sell on.  In my observatory I have a number of decoy items which fit that description.  They are all broken but not on casual inspection (not value) .  The only real deterrent is to make it difficult to get in/out,  place kit beyond sight, make the place look as though it is occupied, alarms.  A dog can certainly help bring peace of mind too and it offers a whole lot more.  Your local police station may have a helpful liaison officer who could offer advice, tehy will know what the local "talent" get up to. 

Jim 

Edited by saac
  • Like 1