NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Mini PC vs ZWO ASIAIR

On 16/12/2022 at 11:31, StevieDvd said:

With the Asiair Plus  & Mini you can also use the USB C port which allows another computer to treat them like a USB drive.

I need another usb2 port for my EAF as i have used all four on my asiair plus. Can I use the usb C port to operate it? Thanks 

3 hours ago, bosun21 said:

I need another usb2 port for my EAF as i have used all four on my asiair plus. Can I use the usb C port to operate it? Thanks 

Does your main ZWO camera have some USB 2 sockets? You could use those I believe.  

3 hours ago, bosun21 said:

Id have thought that one is a slave rather than a host if it works the way it's been described.

Put u can get wee USB hub rat tails. Plug one into one of your usbs, the give u more. Just make sure u only plug low data stuff on same hub together (e.g. Mount, eaf)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, powerlord said:

Id have thought that one is a slave rather than a host if it works the way it's been described.

Put u can get wee USB hub rat tails. Plug one into one of your usbs, the give u more. Just make sure u only plug low data stuff on same hub together (e.g. Mount, eaf)

Yes, after researching more I have bought a usb 2 way splitter and I will double up the EAF and the filter wheel. Thanks 👍

2 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

Does your main ZWO camera have some USB 2 sockets? You could use those I believe.  

No, unfortunately I am using a new ASI585 MC which only has a ST4 port. I’ve added a usb2 splitter to accommodate my EFW. Thanks 👍

• Like 2

Decision made in my case and have just started playing with the asiair plus. Touch of real world feedback for those still thinking; with the  Asiair plus mounted outside at a distance of 14M from the tablet with just a set of French doors between, connected fine. Initial setup took a couple of minutes switching between home and asiair network and after that no challenges. Next step, clear night so about June...🤪

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I hate and love my AA+ 

Pros 

super easy and intuitive interface (until last 2.0 update)

much less to think about

small, light, and clean (power and usb all in one)

All-in-one software - only one software to worry about keeping updated

cons

limited functionality (also a Pro - less to think about)

inferior guiding and focusing - the two most important functions!

can be glitchy (loss signal, slow upload/download speeds)

stuck with ZWO platform (their EAF is horrendous although there are work-around). Fan of their cameras.

worst customer service in the entire universe!  I can’t stress this point enough.

in summary, I highly recommend AA+ for rank newbies to learn on and not at all for experienced imagers with diversified equipment who desire more control and better functionality.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tom62e said:

I hate and love my AA+ 

Pros 

super easy and intuitive interface (until last 2.0 update)

much less to think about

small, light, and clean (power and usb all in one)

All-in-one software - only one software to worry about keeping updated

cons

limited functionality (also a Pro - less to think about)

inferior guiding and focusing - the two most important functions!

can be glitchy (loss signal, slow upload/download speeds)

stuck with ZWO platform (their EAF is horrendous although there are work-around). Fan of their cameras.

worst customer service in the entire universe!  I can’t stress this point enough.

in summary, I highly recommend AA+ for rank newbies to learn on and not at all for experienced imagers with diversified equipment who desire more control and better functionality.

I'm glad that I didn't buy one and just kept persevering with my RPi 4B with Astroberry OS.

Didn't read the whole thread, but wanted to add an extra plug for a Raspberry Pi + https://www.astroberry.io/ 

It's cheaper, works with almost anything, and has an easy to use, grown  up interface that (for me) is way ahead of NINA or anything else I've seen on Windows. 

The downsides are that because it's open source + linux, you occasionally need to fix something that doesn't work. And the Raspberry Pi WiFi isn't the strongest, so I'd either get a range extender near your garden or use an external USB wifi adapter with an aerial.

It's not for everyone, but IMHO, it's way ahead of a Windows mini-PC (which I have tried).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rnobleeddy said:

Didn't read the whole thread, but wanted to add an extra plug for a Raspberry Pi + https://www.astroberry.io/ 

It's cheaper, works with almost anything, and has an easy to use, grown  up interface that (for me) is way ahead of NINA or anything else I've seen on Windows. 

The downsides are that because it's open source + linux, you occasionally need to fix something that doesn't work. And the Raspberry Pi WiFi isn't the strongest, so I'd either get a range extender near your garden or use an external USB wifi adapter with an aerial.

It's not for everyone, but IMHO, it's way ahead of a Windows mini-PC (which I have tried).

I used to use the RPi Wi-Fi, but nowadays I just use a wired Cat 6 Ethernet cable out to it instead.  As I store the FITS files on an external USB 3 thumb drive, the Wi-Fi used to crash and cause problems, etc.  Now that I use the cable instead, I can have a stable and fast connection, also utilising the USB 3 thumb drive.

5 minutes ago, Ian McCallum said:

I used to use the RPi Wi-Fi, but nowadays I just use a wired Cat 6 Ethernet cable out to it instead.  As I store the FITS files on an external USB 3 thumb drive, the Wi-Fi used to crash and cause problems, etc.  Now that I use the cable instead, I can have a stable and fast connection, also utilising the USB 3 thumb drive.

I've tried the same, but it means I need to have a door slightly ajar to run a cable. I use an outside plug to power my gear, and I haven't been able to get the powerline ethernet adapters to work through an RCD. 

So I just store stuff on the Pi, then the next day, transfer it over WiFi. Hopefully everyone is aware, but Astroberry sets up a share as \\astroberry.local\ and whilst transferring a large set of images this way isn't fast, I just leave it running in the backgroud.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, rnobleeddy said:

I've tried the same, but it means I need to have a door slightly ajar to run a cable. I use an outside plug to power my gear, and I haven't been able to get the powerline ethernet adapters to work through an RCD. 

So I just store stuff on the Pi, then the next day, transfer it over WiFi. Hopefully everyone is aware, but Astroberry sets up a share as \\astroberry.local\ and whilst transferring a large set of images this way isn't fast, I just leave it running in the backgroud.

I tend to run mine through a bedroom window, as well as an extension mains cable.