Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Cloudy Week Ahead UK

scotty1

Clear here at 6 pm but then constant high cloud rolling over until 9 pm when it cleared. Good seeing for a change, imaged for around 90 minutes until fog started to impact on the sub quality. 
Still, a little bit more is in the can.😊

• Like 1

You guys in the UK seem to be lucky compared to my part of Sweden for the coming days. Here you have a chance to learn the names of week days in Norwegian. www.yr.no is an excellent site for weather forecasts all over the world:

Screenshot 2022-11-29 at 10.42.55.png

• Like 3

Started out beautifully clear here last night with both the Met Office and Apple weather agreeing that there would be 2 good hours ahead. Dashed around setting up all my kit and 20 mins later started checking Astroberry connectivity (no connection but easy fix); when I went outside to recycle the Astroberry low cloud and fog were beginning  to drift in ☹️.

In my neck of the woods the last 3 months have been appalling, by and large 🙄

Stu

Edited by Sabalias

My bit of South Lanarkshire has had TWO perfectly clear nights since the start of September. Every time it's looked clear at about 6pm, it's clouded over by 7:30. More often than not it has rained into the bargain.   Since the partial eclipse I've managed a 2 hour session on the soul nebula and a 2 hour session on Andromeda. The bbc forecast and cloudy outside all say 100% cloud for the next 7 nights.  This isn't a hobby that is in any danger of taking over my life :(

Graeme

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Elp said:

I think I've seen it all. If it's not rain/cloud it's high wind. Now there's thick fog for a week?

I think we have to hold FLO accountable for the extra cloud/fog. It's due to their current sale prices and us all buying more kit with clouds included! ;)

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Mandy D said:

I think we have to hold FLO accountable for the extra cloud/fog. It's due to their current sale prices and us all buying more kit with clouds included! ;)

I feel I have to take some of the responsibility personally...

Firstly for getting into the hobby around late-September/early-October, since when it seems to have been more or less permanently cloudy... And if that wasn't enough of a jinx I went and bought lots of new gear last week which has resulted in even more cloud plus some fog for good measure! 😖

Clear skies seem to be so rare lately that I am virtually at the point now where I can brew and ferment another batch of beer between viewing/imaging sessions!

• Haha 1

The damage is already done here. There was a near perfectly positioned (for one of my cameras) fireball in the early evening on Monday, but it was cloudy, again!

missedmeteor221128.jpg.f74ece45e4c193b9deee2dd1e5bb76d8.jpg

It clears up when they are in the distance/small, but I'm starting to get fed up with cloud and fireballs seemingly conspiring against me when everything would be perfect otherwise! 😩

• Sad 1

51 minutes ago, JCIdaho said:

Is that a thing, or sods law?

Just an observation in my area that I'll generally get weeks of looking through sucker holes and then come the moon being nearly full (when imAging and dso viewing are sub optimal) it'll be clear for ages

9 hours ago, Ratlet said:

The full moon always brings clear skies.

I'm just a newbie but now you mention it I feel like at least the last couple of decent sessions I had were around the full moon 🤔

Anyway, I managed to get out just now but only for an hour before the fog rolled in - turns out grab & go with an HEQ5 is a different ball game to an EQ1 but I was determined! 💪 If nothing else at least it was an hour well spent getting the hang of 3 star alignment 😁

Just for good measure we could be adding sleet/snow into the mix by next week. 

With the wind in the ENE western areas have a higher chance of staying clearer. N.Ireland , western Scotland Wales....

If it's clear we have a 75% moon close to the radiant for the Geminids.

Edited by scotty1

53 minutes ago, Sabalias said:

Out of the blue (or black) last night was clear as a bell here 😁. Managed to get some more time on the Iris Nebula - now 4 hours 18 mins.

529414760_IrisNebulaAffinitycrop.thumb.jpg.390b370c2cb491887edaf51071a60fac.jpg

Stu

Whenever I look at these DSO photos, I'm always amazed at the amount of stars in the background. 

• Like 1