NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Local Group galaxies

Xilman

Almost everyone takes images of the MW and M31; quite a few take pictures of M33 and we see the LMC and SMC from those who observe from the southern hemisphere. Why so few others? There are dozens of members of the Local Group. I searched SGL for mentions of WLM --- the Wolf-Lundmark-Melotte galaxy --- and found precisely one hit fom 12 years ago stargazerslounge.com/topic/71867-keeling-heath-observing-list/#comment-698149 where it was on the posters bucket list. Not a single image AFAICT.

wlm2.png.f3ec3923a693cdd68fe701e0ac4a46f2.png

Here is my attempt. Although quite bright at 11th magnitude the surface brightness is fairly low. A 545 second exposure wasn't really long enough and the sky noise has been enhanced to an irritating degree. Perhaps another attempt is indicated for this coming season. If so, I will try to get its globular cluster in addition, though it will not be in the same frame because WLM-1 lies quite a distance from the galaxy.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Xilman said:

Almost everyone takes images of the MW and M31; quite a few take pictures of M33 and we see the LMC and SMC from those who observe from the southern hemisphere. Why so few others? There are dozens of members of the Local Group.

What a shame I didn't see this post first.  https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/402169-if-at-first-you-dont-succeed-you-try-and-try-again/

A superb result which puts mine to shame.

OK, you lot, what are you waiting for?

Let's go out and image most if not all LG galaxies!

Or do you want to remain in a comfortable miasma of lazy mediocracy?

I, and I suggest others, should now try to do something amazingly difficult for a change

• Like 1