NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupiter GRS Oct 30th

Space Cowboy

Must be several years since I last captured the iconic GRS. Conditions were blustery with persistent thin cloud and at best average seeing but it was a pleasure to watch as the face of this great planet came into view.

Taken with Auto Dob 250 & ASI 224MC with 3x tv & ext.

One image taken with and one without the ADC (not saying which).

21.46 UT & 22.49 UT

2022-10-30-2146_9.tif ANALY.png

2022-10-30-2249_9.tif ANALY2 AS.png

Edited by Space Cowboy
  • Like 16

24 minutes ago, Space Cowboy said:

Must be several years since I last captured the iconic GRS. Conditions were blustery with persistent thin cloud and at best average seeing but it was a pleasure to watch as the face of this great planet came into view.

Taken with Auto Dob 250 & ASI 224MC with 3x tv & ext.

One image taken with and one without the ADC (not saying which).

21.46 UT & 22.49 UT

2022-10-30-2146_9.tif ANALY.png

2022-10-30-2249_9.tif ANALY2 AS.png

Ahh a quiz. This could potentially back fire on you depending on which it is. Ok here goes. Either the top image has no ADC. Or you're not dialling in correctly? (dont worry i still have trouble) Quiz aside i too prefer the bottom captures. Has nice bright levels And the GRS right where we all want it. The brighter levels seem to help cut through that seeing a bit more.

Nice captures

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the comments guys. I've just edited the 1st image as I hadn't set the right levels so it was too dark on here.

The 2nd image was indeed taken with ADC and even though at a lower alt and in poorer seeing especially trans with lots of noise when I threw 20 mins worth of captures into Winjupos the final image wasnt too bad (1st image is 2 captures totalling 4 mins derotated)

The extra fl of the ADC has probably effected the detail too. I've only used said ADC a handful of times over the last 6 years or so and have never been convinced of its true merits but this example does suggest its worth the hassle.

Edited by Space Cowboy

2 hours ago, Space Cowboy said:

Thanks for the comments guys. I've just edited the 1st image as I hadn't set the right levels so it was too dark on here.

The 2nd image was indeed taken with ADC and even though at a lower alt and in poorer seeing especially trans with lots of noise when I threw 20 mins worth of captures into Winjupos the final image wasnt too bad (1st image is 2 captures totalling 4 mins derotated)

The extra fl of the ADC has probably effected the detail too. I've only used said ADC a handful of times over the last 6 years or so and have never been convinced of its true merits but this example does suggest its worth the hassle.

ADCs do sharpen a bit. And help the red and blue edges. Though often making setups considerably oversampled. I often screw the Baader Q Barlow straight on the end of the ADC which helps a little. Good price those too. I can tell your carrying on well from when you left off. It's really just good conditions that is holding you back. Less frequent in winter unfortunately 

But still can happen. Don't give up mate. you're doing great that's obvious. Considering the conditions, you are pulling out some good detail the eye of the GRS for example 

9 hours ago, neil phillips said:

ADCs do sharpen a bit. And help the red and blue edges. Though often making setups considerably oversampled. I often screw the Baader Q Barlow straight on the end of the ADC which helps a little. Good price those too. I can tell your carrying on well from when you left off. It's really just good conditions that is holding you back. Less frequent in winter unfortunately 

But still can happen. Don't give up mate. you're doing great that's obvious. Considering the conditions, you are pulling out some good detail the eye of the GRS for example 

Thanks Neil! It certainly helps to have the ADC correctly oriented 🙂

Just occurred to me I also boosted the red channel on the ADC shot during capture to match green and blue. I must have had the colours set on default in firecapture (something else I'd forgotten).

Yep I looked at screwing the TV Barlow onto ADC but can't see a way. Might try my 2x with the extension tube though don't like adding too much pipeline.

• Like 1

Both are excellent images Stuart. Only just seeing this thread and I also prefer the 2nd image (didn't see your original 1st as you've updated it). I guessed the 2nd was with the ADC due to the larger image size, guessing based on increased magnification with the sensor being further back from the x3 tv.

12 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

Both are excellent images Stuart. Only just seeing this thread and I also prefer the 2nd image (didn't see your original 1st as you've updated it). I guessed the 2nd was with the ADC due to the larger image size, guessing based on increased magnification with the sensor being further back from the x3 tv.

Thanks Geof, yes even though I replaced the extension with the ADC it still came out larger. Just over f19 which is pushing it a bit especially under less than perfect conditions. 

• Like 1

I guessed it was the 2nd image from the larger scale, to my eye the top image looks sharper

I briefly had an ADC in September to use on my 12" SCT but after waisting several nights with it I found that all the captures with the ADC were lacking detail compared to without it, I was 95% sure I had it adjusted correctly as the captures with it showed less colour fringing, but also much less detail, so I concluded that I either had a duff one or the brand I bought was just crap but was able to return it. I don't have much patience with things like this and not enough clear nights to experiment

I also tried on Saturn where it did remove the colour fringing, but I feel Saturn is too low for sharp visible light images at the moment anyway so prefer to just image low planets in IR

Ive been getting what I think are very detailed Jupiter images without it so am in no rush to get another one.

Lee

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Magnum said:

I guessed it was the 2nd image from the larger scale, to my eye the top image looks sharper

I briefly had an ADC in September to use on my 12" SCT but after waisting several nights with it I found that all the captures with the ADC were lacking detail compared to without it, I was 95% sure I had it adjusted correctly as the captures with it showed less colour fringing, but also much less detail, so I concluded that I either had a duff one or the brand I bought was just crap but was able to return it. I don't have much patience with things like this and not enough clear nights to experiment

I also tried on Saturn where it did remove the colour fringing, but I feel Saturn is too low for sharp visible light images at the moment anyway so prefer to just image low planets in IR

Ive been getting what I think are very detailed Jupiter images without it so am in no rush to get another one.

Lee

I see where you're coming from Lee. I felt the same about the ADC. I've had mine several years and only used it a handful of times. Always been sceptical of its merits as I too hate "faff". I have to say this nights results have won me over. I should have mentioned (thought I had) that the ADC image was taken in poorer conditions. Basically I didn't trust the ADC so got some decent captures on the board before trying it when seeing had dropped off. Even though trans was poorer and gain was pushed very high the noisier live image looked sharper on screen after adjusting the ADC. This is the ZWO version btw.

As you know it's impossible to make a direct comparison as there are so many variables with seeing being the most obvious but my gut feeling even though I was sceptical is that it did sharpen the images on this occasion.

I need to post up the last image taken before I swapped to the ADC as the one here is one hour earlier when both seeing and altitude were superior (only 2 degrees mind).

Edited by Space Cowboy
  • Like 1