Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Let's start at the very beginning

I don't have any equipment at all yet. I may get some entry level binoculars soon, but I thought I could settle in with these on this stormy, wet evening.

It seems like a good a plan as any but I'd welcome any other general advice that helped you get started.

My nearest astronomy club meets once per month so I'll give that a visit next Friday.

20221031_191528.jpg

• Like 6

Welcome to SGL from Ohio.  Astro clubs are a great place to check out all the toys.  Dont be in a hurry to choose just take your time and find what you like.  

2 hours ago, Alan White said:

Welcome to SGL and by the looks of things the start of your journey into this fine hobby.
Your book choice is good as is the going to your local astro society, perhaps soem from SGL are members?

Thanks Alan.

I do wonder if any SGL members will be there, and whether there's any actual stargazing going on.

So far, in my short time jumping around these forums, I haven't anybody else from my county...

• Like 1

Good beginners book choices there @Nitecoda, TLaO in particular (which will remain useful as you progress).  I’ve recently found that the book 110 Things to see with a Telescope by John Read, whilst light on detail (intentionally) and restricted to to the Messier catalogue, is useful when out in the field. Although you haven’t bought a ‘scope yet this book I think would be quite well suited to a beginner starting out in the hobby due to being so accessible. 

• Like 2

Hello and welcome 🤗

I think you’ve some great books there and I also found that chatting to people at my local Astro club was really helpful and it was brilliant to try our different equipment before I bought my own (don’t be in a rush to buy anything)!

The one book that was recommended to me on this forum, but I didn’t discover until I was involved with the hobby for a few years, was a book called ‘Starlight Nights’ by Leslie Peltier. It’s now one of my favourite books and I’m so glad I found out about it. It’s out of print but you can sometimes get secondhand copies and it’s available on Kindle.

I hope you enjoy discovering more about the night sky.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, dweller25 said:

You are doing all the right things 👍

I agree; and people on here seem to respect your sensible approach - no one has suggested a particular scope or binocular. Nor will I do. But what about starting to keep a little diary/logbook during your way into this wonderful hobby (or way of life)? I did this more than five decades ago, of course as a paper version (still recommended-no media disruption!), and I love to read my first entries and follow my way through many years of fruitful observations. Just a few notes - time, location, sky conditions, instrument, targets; perhaps some basic sketches etc., as you like.

Welcome to the forum, and Clear Dorset Skies!
Stephan

• Like 3

Thanks to all for some very kind and helpful replies. I shall research other books but will ensure I make good progress with the two I have first as I don't want to jump around without focus and end up not learning anything solid.

It's also a really good recommendation to journal my progress.

Thanks to all.

• Like 1

Another great book to have a look at would be ‘The Backyard Astronomers Guide’ (Dickinson & Dyer). Packed with useful information and has a section on binocular observation. I started off with binoculars many years ago and still love sweeping the sky with them. 

• Like 1