NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupiter dazzling bright

7 hours ago, cajen2 said:

All you people complaining about Jupiter being too bright, remember it's at its closest to us for 70-odd years. Consider yourselves lucky! 😄 No doubt in a few years, people will be complaining that it's too dim.....

Does anyone know what this translates to at the eyepiece? Jupiter apparent size is currently 49 arcseconds, next year around opposition it will be similar. Out of opposition it can reach 42 arcseconds, even down to 33 arcseconds in daytime. How small or large will it appear is it when its opposition is at its minima? 🤔

8 hours ago, IB20 said:

Does anyone know what this translates to at the eyepiece? Jupiter apparent size is currently 49 arcseconds, next year around opposition it will be similar. Out of opposition it can reach 42 arcseconds, even down to 33 arcseconds in daytime. How small or large will it appear is it when its opposition is at its minima? 🤔

Here's a plot from https://blog.michael.franzl.name/2016/11/30/apparent-diameter-plot-jupiter-2017-2026/

image.png.7853f0a672b6c8f1fbb7cf8725c8809f.png

And from http://www.astro.sg/2012/11/jupiter-opposition-3-dec-2012.html

image.png.add3a35f041841dcae8086c33dd67ce8.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tonight I used a Baader Neodymium filter applying it to both my refractor and 8" dobsonian. The GRS was fading from view by the time I was able to observe, although began to remerge much later as I was calling it a night. The South Temperate Belt region in particular I felt was enhanced and I liked the natural subtleness of this filter. Needless to say it pleasingly responded to use in the dobsonian, particularly with a 7mm eyepiece at 171X. The colours of the primary belts were striking, the zone regions in-between, perhaps a little more profiled as a feature and I could detect two barges in the NEB. However I was alternating between each scope and used a 6mm eyepiece in the refractor, which without the filter was also providing superb views, in terms of pronounced and colorful banding, including within the South Temperate Belt. Did not make a comparison in my dob, as the filter was fixed onto the extension tube and I did not want to remove it. Maybe tomorrow night though.  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, scarp15 said:

Tonight I used a Baader Neodymium filter applying it to both my refractor and 8" dobsonian. The GRS was fading from view by the time I was able to observe, although began to remerge much later as I was calling it a night. The South Temperate Belt region in particular I felt was enhanced and I liked the natural subtleness of this filter. Needless to say it pleasingly responded to use in the dobsonian, particularly with a 7mm eyepiece at 171X. The colours of the primary belts were striking, the zone regions in-between, perhaps a little more profiled as a feature and I could detect two barges in the NEB. However I was alternating between each scope and used a 6mm eyepiece in the refractor, which without the filter was also providing superb views, in terms of pronounced and colorful banding, including within the South Temperate Belt. Did not make a comparison in my dob, as the filter was fixed onto the extension tube and I did not want to remove it. Maybe tomorrow night though.  

Nice session, must have been interesting comparing the two views. I’ve always found the Neodymium to work well on Jupiter. The times it has not been a benefit have been at very high powers eg x300 on Mars, but at usual Jupiter mags it does seem to be a benefit.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, scarp15 said:

2 hours ago, Stu said:

Nice session, must have been interesting comparing the two views. I’ve always found the Neodymium to work well on Jupiter. The times it has not been a benefit have been at very high powers eg x300 on Mars, but at usual Jupiter mags it does seem to be a benefit.

I find the neodymium filter gives a subtle pale to light blue tint when viewing Jupiter. Do you ?

Edited by Philip R

1 hour ago, Philip R said:

I find the neodymium filter gives a subtle pale to light blue tint when viewing Jupiter. Do you ?

Didn't notice any image distortion in terms of colouration. Perhaps there is a tendency depending on atmospheric conditions to create this tint? Perhaps might also be determined by the characteristics of differing particular eyepieces, optical train. I used the 2" filter, enabling a frequency of exchange alternating between mid - high power focal lengths mostly of the same range (DeLite, Delos) reaching 240x before settling back to 171x, with no noticeable irregular tint.

Likely will be out again tonight, with the dobsonian and will begin without the filter therefore will report back, initial impressions though are favourable.   

Edited by scarp15
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Stu said:

Thanks Stu and yes it certainly seems to be a useful tool to have. At mid to low power with the TV-85 it responded well to, yet primarily it will be used with the dobsonian(s). I was eager just to get on with the session last night (had to wait until around 11.30pm for Jupiter to come into view - for using the dob) therefore did not arrive at an assessment based on with and without the filter, which I ought probably will do tonight. I might also try it on certain deep sky objects, the low contrast could place value, for example on subjects such as the Iris Nebula in Cepheus, I understand that a Lumicon Deep Sky Filter, if the Neodymium has similar characteristics, is considered to be credible on this and amongst other selective objects. 

On 08/10/2022 at 11:55, scarp15 said:

Didn't notice any image distortion in terms of colouration. Perhaps there is a tendency depending on atmospheric conditions to create this tint? Perhaps might also be determined by the characteristics of differing particular eyepieces, optical train. I used the 2" filter, enabling a frequency of exchange alternating between mid - high power focal lengths mostly of the same range (DeLite, Delos) reaching 240x before settling back to 171x, with no noticeable irregular tint.

Likely will be out again tonight, with the dobsonian and will begin without the filter therefore will report back, initial impressions though are favourable.   

I forgot to mention that I use either my TeleVue Ranger and/or ‘re-modded’ ETX105 or Celestron C6/SCT and TeleVue Plossl’s, Radian’s or the 3-6mm zoom. :thumbsup:

Edited by Philip R
  • Like 1

A quick update concerning the Baader Neodymium filter. Circumstances are not as good as the previous night, the SEB is less distinct and more washed out.

Using the 8" dob and 7mm DeLite; 171x eyepiece, the presentation, prior to installing the filter, was fine, yet there is a discernible improvement when the filter is applied. That is to say that the SEB became slightly more accentuated, a hint of banding within the South Temperate Belt and tonal contrast within the North Polar Region visible -  for moments spherically speaking, becoming quite 3D! It is quite subtle, yet at around this mag and aperture there is a benefit.  No false blue colour tint apparent and just as with my previous session, the GRS is not currently on display.

Without expanding on detail (within this beginners section), it is perhaps not suitable to all eyepiece types, i.e. number of glass element composition could have a bearing upon how effective this filter is, in drawing out detail and enhancing features. 

Edited by scarp15
Update

Jupiter is super bright as it is super close , that's a plus for me! Honestly not had an issue observing with the 200mm dob and 10mm eyepiece.  The detail is still good .

Even shots on my mobile weren't bad last night. A little trick i do is to fold the eyecup a little which seems to cut the glare . Works well with TV DeLite's with there bigger rubber cups20221017_212845.jpg.10a512588431e98ff2055c295906ad3b.jpg

• Like 2

I’ve not got many filters (and I have to say, I’m not that fond of what I have as I seem to get glare/reflections at times), but I have found a light blue filter helps a little with Jupiter and also a ND filter helped take the brightness down a little. 

Tried a variable polarising filter, but whilst I could end up with a dimmer Jupiter, I didn’t really find that it helped me pick out any more detail. Getting comfy and in a good position to view the planet for a while and really let my eye get used to it helped more than anything else. 

Now if I can get my hands on a bigger Mak, that’d definitely improve the view 😅

• Like 1