Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dart impact as seen from Earth

bomberbaz

Really stunning. I also love the fact that not only did NASA attempt to impact the moonlet, they also decided to make things harder by having a little separate "drone" detach and film the impactor from the side/at an angle, as it hit.

Really, so amazing what mankind can achieve.

3 hours ago, Sunshine said:

My question is how that impact may or may not have affected it's speed or trajectory, I would assume it has but by how much.

Dr Becky is pretty good on that question 😀

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Great video, thanks. 

Regarding a much larger body would it not make sense to detonate a massive nuclear warhead at some distance so as to change the objects trajectory without creating many smaller threats? or am I watching to many sci-fi flicks 😄

11 hours ago, Sunshine said:

Great video, thanks. 

Regarding a much larger body would it not make sense to detonate a massive nuclear warhead at some distance so as to change the objects trajectory without creating many smaller threats? or am I watching to many sci-fi flicks 😄

worry there would be a failed launch i guess

1 hour ago, markse68 said:

Regarding a much larger body would it not make sense to detonate a massive nuclear warhead at some distance so as to change the objects trajectory without creating many smaller threats?

I am no physicist, but I suspect it all depends on what is the most efficient means of transferring energy from the method used to deflect the asteroid to the asteroid itself.  I suspect, but don't know for certain, that with a small body impacting the asteroid you get a very efficient energy transfer which can be targeted at the point of impact most likely to result in that transfer of energy altering the orbit in the required manner.  I think it would be more difficult to achieve these twin goals with a nuclear warhead detonated at a distance.   Then again, it is now some 36 years since I failed my physics GCSE. 😂