Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Improving all the time M101

CELESCOPE

Looking very good indeed Rog, lots of depth in the arms.

Must be the longer subs!!!

I've been bashing away at this tonight too, but events have conspired against me....the focus wheel has been playing up, and stuck on OIII for a while, then focus slipped, so I refocussed but frgot to take the focus mask off!

Have now just done a meridian flip, recalibrated the guider, got a real nice focus, and the cloud has arrived :)

Scotch O'clock!!!

Cheers

Rob

Nicely done

Longer subs make the difference I went too 8 minutes on Sombrero, Thats the first time I've gone beyond 6 minutes and it shows considering visually Sombrero in Mag 8. I'm hoping to catch M31 before too long and I'm in the market for an 8" f/5 newt which I hope to get within the next month along with a Baader MPCC

Cheers

Nice one Rog.

I was on this one myself for a couple of hours with 10 min subs, and the fainter arms came through nicely. Not sure how much of that was down to the excellent sky though. Actually caught a bit of colour in it too which is nice. Might combine yours with mine to see what pops out. Gotta get some flats though, I used a different OTA to normal.

How much was this cropped? I'm looking for a camera that will make these targets larger on screen when taken through the OTA's I have, any ideas????

No Crop Tim. only reduced in size , never crop unless something goes across the outer part of the frame ,saves deleting it , the 120 gives a fairly nice size image now for Galaxies , i dont want them in two close, can always use the c8 if i wanted that , prefer the scale i,m working at now .

Rog ;)

Thanks Roger. How do you find the C8 compares for the galaxies? I seem to struggle to get mine (c9.25) to produce really sharp images, especially of the dust. I have seen some great shots with very crisp dust areas taken through APO's, and am considering swapping the C9.25 for a nice triplet. Do you think that would be better?

Trouble is Robin , i went without guiding for a few years convinced i could get everything i wanted using my fast start system , ok so that did enable me to get some good images , then i went to normal imaging as i call it lol , and binned my images , to enable me to capture data ,

But to be honest i had to put a lot of hard work into processing , so i went to guiding a few years ago , it has to be done Robin,else you wont progress, processing time now on Nebs is very quick ,the whole system of guiding opens up a whole new world for imaging .

Its not hard , if i can do it anyone can, just dont over complicate things , keep it basic, any help just ask .

Rog

Very nice Rog, and I agree you have to guide, my better images are from my local Observatory site were I can do longer subs from 8 to 10 minutes as it is Higher around 840ft and alot darker than my backyard and I find processing to be alot easier

Nice start to a very faint Galaxy

Les

Hi Rog,

I am doing some 20 min subs on M101, and I have already got 3.5 hours worth of 10 min subs taken under similar skies.

Hopefully I will get 3.5 hours tonight, then I will stack them identically and we can do a like for like, 10 min versus 20 min sub comparison.

One thing, the stars aren't such a good shape.

That moan you had about the skies has worked wonders, we've all benefitted!!

Archived